Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Leaving the US for extended time with a Green Card

Wikiposts

Leaving the US for extended time with a Green Card

Old Dec 20th 2008, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the US for extended time with a Green Card

Originally Posted by nettlebed
One can never tell what the future will throw at one. If you take US citizenship, and have to leave for an unknown amount of time to take care of a sick relative, for example, or a work placement (since I became a USC my boss is already talking about me doing an extended stint in Slough, Romania, India and China, maybe totaling a year), then you can do so without any fear of being unable to return the the US. If you are an LPR, and a planned stay of nine months turns into an unplanned stay of a year or more your road to citizenship just got a lot longer.

That's not WHY I took US citizenship: I definitely plan to base my life in the US for the indefinite future, but it is a benefit, and gives me more flexibility to travel.
I suppose. Unless the reasons are pressing as described, I just can't see the reason for abandonment if you really wanted it in the first place.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 7:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
An single absence from the US of 6+ months stops the naturalization clock. An single absence from the US for 1+ year resets the clock. It's all in the Guide to Naturalization... so I'm not sure why this should suddenly come as a surprise. It's in the section under "continuous residence".

Ian
Titchski was referring to Elvira's misspelling of the word "clock". Read Elvira and Titchski's posts carefully.

Rene
Old Dec 21st 2008, 1:09 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
An single absence from the US of 6+ months stops the naturalization clock. An single absence from the US for 1+ year resets the clock.
My friend:

Please don't make such general statements -- they are often misleading. The OP does not give anywhere detail to make such a broad generalization.

Before posting this, I went to the law to confirm my memory and my memory was correct. FWIW, the law is available via the www.uscis.website.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 1:57 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Titchski was referring to Elvira's misspelling of the word "clock".
What? Wait a sec... I've got to check!

Uh oh... my bad!

Y'know... sometimes, there just isn't a good comeback!

Ian