Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Leaving the US after you have settled.

Wikiposts

Leaving the US after you have settled.

Old Jan 14th 2003, 3:51 am
darrenb

Default Leaving the US after you have settled.

Can anyone help me with yet another question. If I get to the point where my 180 day limit for using the visa is running out can I take a trip to the US for a couple of weeks, go through POE get my SSN etc and then come back to the UK? If I can do that is there a limit I can stay out of the US for?

Also, are there any other rules that apply to whole subject of leaving the US for prolonged periods of time once the greencard has been issued?

Thanks,

D

Old Jan 14th 2003, 4:45 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the US after you have settled.

Originally posted by darrenb
Can anyone help me with yet another question. If I get to the point where my 180 day limit for using the visa is running out can I take a trip to the US for a couple of weeks, go through POE get my SSN etc and then come back to the UK? If I can do that is there a limit I can stay out of the US for?

Also, are there any other rules that apply to whole subject of leaving the US for prolonged periods of time once the greencard has been issued?

Thanks,

D
Nope that is perfectly legal. Just be sure you have a US address that they can mail the social security card to. If you do a search for Patrick from the UK you will see he did the same thing in December on a shopping trip to Boston. Entered the US for a weekend visit, activiated his I-130, applied for his social security card, shopped and went back to the UK to pack up.

As for prolonged periods of time outside of the US while a PR, yes there are several. If you are going to be outside of the US for more than six months at a time, you are interferring with the time clock for naturalization if that is your ultimate goal. As you can be a dual citizen of the UK and the US, you might seriously want to concern doing this as it as some benefits. If you are planning to be away for a year or more, you need a re-entry permit so that INS does not consider your PR status abandoned.

Rete