Wikiposts

Leaving before I-751.

Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

giblesp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving before I-751.

Due to a failed marriage, I am considering leaving the States before the filing of the I-751. Could anyone advise, what is the best way to do this to insure no future complications if I deceide to visit the States as a tourist? Thank you.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:55 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving before I-751.

Originally Posted by giblesp
Due to a failed marriage, I am considering leaving the States before the filing of the I-751. Could anyone advise, what is the best way to do this to insure no future complications if I deceide to visit the States as a tourist? Thank you.
http://london.usembassy.gov/dhs/uscis/abandon.html
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ray has given you the guide for returning and nullifying your resident's status in the US. Note that can be done before leaving the US by going to the USCIS and returning and renouncing your residency there.

However, take note that others who have allowed their residency to expire have regretted at some point. What if a year from now you find that you cannot resettle comfortably in your own country and want to return to the US. Or divorce proceedings are stopped and you reconcile with your spouse and want to return. Or your divorce becomes final and you fall in love again with another American and want to return.

Easier to have finished your residency proceedings until you have your LPR status, file for a re-entry permit and make the final decision at the end of that period.

Just my thoughts.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:55 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Note that can be done before leaving the US by going to the USCIS and returning and renouncing your residency there.
Hi:

I'm wondering if there is a typo in this. I'm not sure, but other than a section 248 change of status to certain non-immigrant classifications [such as diplomat], I believe that LPR status cannot be abandoned while IN the United States.

Again, I'm not sure on this one.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:17 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I'm wondering if there is a typo in this.
I don't see any typing errors.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:19 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the advice. Do I have to do this from the States or is it possible to do this from London?
If I have to do it from the States, is it just a case of going down the USCIS and submmiting the form and card/posting it?
Once I submit the form and card, by post or in person, can I then leave the country straight away without problems and without affecting any future visit as a tourist?
Thanks again.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:23 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the advice. Do I have to do this from the States or is it possible to do this from London?
If I have to do it from the States, is it just a case of going down the USCIS and submmiting the form and card/posting it?
Once I submit the form and card, by post or in person, can I then leave the country straight away without problems and without affecting any future visit as a tourist?
Thanks again.
The link I gave give very easy instructions ...
Do it in London ...

You can leave whenever you wish
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
The link I gave give very easy instructions ...
Do it in London ...

You can leave whenever you wish
Not an easy time...
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:31 am
Ray

Not an easy time...
I can imagine ..but do consider Rete suggestion on a re-entry permit
gives you time ...to think without the emotional backdrop...
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:34 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the suggestion.