Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Layover time during covid

Layover time during covid

Old Jun 29th 2020, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Ann257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Layover time during covid

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had emigrated during Covid. We can only Land in the 15 airports And need to make a connecting flight and we are not sure how long the extra Covid checks and then immigration meeting will be. We have seen a connecting flight with a 2 hour time gap but I think that may be too short. There will be 3 of us emigrating (myself and two children)

Last edited by Ann257; Jun 29th 2020 at 9:00 am.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 2:37 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Layover time during covid

I would go for 4 hours minimum myself.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 2:51 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ann257
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had emigrated during Covid. We can only Land in the 15 airports And need to make a connecting flight and we are not sure how long the extra Covid checks and then immigration meeting will be. We have seen a connecting flight with a 2 hour time gap but I think that may be too short. There will be 3 of us emigrating (myself and two children)
Definitely too short. I tend to leave longer than that for any, noncomplicated long distance connection. All it takes is for your first flight to be delayed a little and you are up the creek without a paddle.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 4:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Internal routes in the US that were previously served by a flight every hour may only have a once-a-day service, so err on the side of caution, because if you miss your connection it may be the next day before the next flight. I agree with Civilservant - allow at least four hours.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Ann257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Internal routes in the US that were previously served by a flight every hour may only have a once-a-day service, so err on the side of caution, because if you miss your connection it may be the next day before the next flight. I agree with Civilservant - allow at least four hours.
I think we may fly into Miami and just drive up. It’s too hard to get connecting flights
thanks all
Old Jun 30th 2020, 5:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I think we may fly into Miami and just drive up. ....
That sounds like a good plan, and I had considered suggesting doing exactly that when I posted.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That sounds like a good plan, and I had considered suggesting doing exactly that when I posted.
we will get to see the gorgeous Fl landscape!
Old Jun 30th 2020, 6:42 pm

we will get to see the gorgeous Fl landscape!
All I ever see driving across Florida is trees, tall, straight trees, well, and lakes, ponds, canals, and ditches, and it makes me wish to see the mountains of the Netherlands again.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Delayed Update!
I wrote a mini blog of travelling during Covid, it was as a reminder to me in future and may help someone on here, obvs some is not relevant for here but i hope it is a positive bit of help...
Flying during a pandemic
Heathrow Airport hotel- empty bar a few rooms, no restaurant or coffee shop open, a contactless machine for water and chocolate/crisps
Small amount of staff, lots of cleaning!
Minibus was normal, driver has a mask on.
Arrive at terminal 2 heathrow. Not busy at all, Mainly families and a lot were going to India. Everyone has to wear a mask.
Terribly hard to understand people as I didn’t realise how much I lip read or follow facial expressions. Only expressions now are eyebrows going up and down (don’t know how this fairs with Botox users but I’m sure I will find out soon )
Confusion for a while over the wording in our passports due to mention of the children being Covid extempt but nothing in mine! Heathrow now have USA immigration officers near check in, if they don’t understand something they apparently take a photo of your passport and send it to a buddy in the USA who confirms if you are good to go, However an ir1 visa trumps this and we are good to go.... until we get to the check In desk and get asked “how we are travelling on U.K. passports.” “That immigration officer said we could “
Did you show him your marriage certificate? “ “No but I love him oh so much” trying to make a joke with a mask is not funny
5 overloaded suitcases and an eventuality calmer and more relaxed checkin lady sorted us. They have all been told they have to wear masks even when using the toilet so everyone in Heathrow is in a grump!
We were told that united lounge is closed however from today, Lufthansa is open and they have an arrangement. Hooray.
Walk through security only about 10 travellers, there’s 40 staff so straight through.
Terminal 2 is deserted! About 200 people in there, some shops have opened today but not all and only 3restaurants (yo sushi, Leon and the caviar bar)
We went into the lounge to be greeted by a team of eager colleagues, they have been furloughed for 4 months and today they are back and they seemed nervous but happy.
Limited food menu but that wasn’t stopping the Hawkins having a few glasses of bubbles
Get to the plane just in time as I was gassing on the phone to my mum then had a super fast FaceTime with joe and Indi as I was boarding.
Plane is empty! There is about 7 other passengers in first. Staff are fab, cleaning, making sure we are ok as we boarded. Offered food which was the same as normal, when I asked for wine I was given two mini bottles so I don’t bother them.
They’ve been hiding in the galley for the last few hours.
Dillon and Lilly are ridiculously excited and can’t sleep, I passed out for a few hours thanks to the Californian Chardonnay
Landed in Washington DC at 2:45, went through a big line of nurses checking everyone’s temperature and asking questions about our health. At this point we had masks on, in a big hall and all four of us were sweating! I was convinced we were going to be turned away. All good tho and onto immigration. This was so smooth. No one else there and we were directed to an empty room, very nice officer asked about our address and that was it! We were through!
We are currently sat in a lovely calm lounge, free wine, beer and food. There is a massive thunderstorm outside so hoping next flight isn’t delayed.
Update... flight was only delayed by an hour, fairly empty. No luxuries at all on this one! We were given a clear bag with water, pretzels and biscoff biscuits in. (Who needs food?)
Quick 1 hr 40 mins to Orlando, straight onto the shuttle train and our luggage was the other side at the same time as us. (This is the best bit about low travel numbers)
Grandma came tearing around the corner in her big car
Hour and a half drive north to Ocala,
That’s how it’s done!
Old Aug 11th 2020, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

scaly back is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ann,

Thank you for the report. Dulles is my home airport but as most of my transatlantic is for business, I haven't been there since February. The thing I like the most is they have effectively downgraded customs wait for most flights, that could be as much a pain as pre-GE immigration. Welcome home :-)
Old Aug 12th 2020, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Hope yours is as smooth as ours

Thank you for the report. Dulles is my home airport but as most of my transatlantic is for business, I haven't been there since February. The thing I like the most is they have effectively downgraded customs wait for most flights, that could be as much a pain as pre-GE immigration. Welcome home :-)[/QUOTE]