Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Last name changed - need to get a new passport?

Wikiposts

Last name changed - need to get a new passport?

Old Jun 21st 2004, 6:47 am
Just Joined

goodguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Last name changed - need to get a new passport?

Hi all,

My wife came on K1 and have applied for AOS. Since she changed her last name upon our marriage, is it necessary for her to replace her original passport which shows her maiden name only?

I am hesitant to do so since the new passport will not have record of her entrance to the States, I94, K1 Visa, etc. If it is okay for her to simply take along our marriage certificate when she travels, I'd rather just do that. Or, are those stamps irrelevant now?

Opinions?

Thanks.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last name changed - need to get a new passport?

Hi, I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think most countries will return the old passport with the new one. That way you would still have the entry stamps. You can always keep the I-94 though. Actually, I think my husband took his I-94 out of his passport so he wouldn't lose it. Since that's his only form of id, he brings his passport with him quite often.

Good luck! Hope someone else can better answer your question!

Originally posted by goodguy
Hi all,

My wife came on K1 and have applied for AOS. Since she changed her last name upon our marriage, is it necessary for her to replace her original passport which shows her maiden name only?

I am hesitant to do so since the new passport will not have record of her entrance to the States, I94, K1 Visa, etc. If it is okay for her to simply take along our marriage certificate when she travels, I'd rather just do that. Or, are those stamps irrelevant now?

Opinions?

Thanks.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 6:58 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

I kept my passport in my former married name - using my AP, (in my married name) and my marriage certificate when I had to travel outside the States.

I've only just got it changed to my new name in the hopes of getting an I-551 stamp in it at my AOS interview next Tuesday. My old passport was returned with a corner removed.

The K1 visa is void once she's entered the country anyway - it's only good for one entry and has been used.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 7:01 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
Hi, I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think most countries will return the old passport with the new one. That way you would still have the entry stamps. You can always keep the I-94 though. Actually, I think my husband took his I-94 out of his passport so he wouldn't lose it. Since that's his only form of id, he brings his passport with him quite often.

Good luck! Hope someone else can better answer your question!

If she's from the UK and applies at the British Embassy in DC, she'll get her old passport back along with the I-94 and K1 still inside. I can't advise you if she's from a different country unfortunately.

Kate. xxxxx
Old Jun 21st 2004, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by FlyergirlUK
I kept my passport in my former married name - using my AP, (in my married name) and my marriage certificate when I had to travel outside the States.

I've only just got it changed to my new name in the hopes of getting an I-551 stamp in it at my AOS interview next Tuesday. My old passport was returned with a corner removed.

The K1 visa is void once she's entered the country anyway - it's only good for one entry and has been used.

So, having the passport in the old name, AP in the new name, along with the marriage certificate should work at the POE...?

Thanks all for the comments and good luck to all.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 8:06 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

gg,

It is not at all necessary to change one's name their passport after marriage. My wife is using my surname here in the USA, but she wants to continue to go by her maiden name in her home country. Therefore, she will not be changing her name in her passport.

Regards, JEff

Hi all,

Opinions?

Thanks.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 8:29 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Opinions?

Thanks.

If she has a good length of time left on her passport she can probably, depending on the country, get just an apposilite <sp> showing the name change. It is a single sheet of paper that is added to the present passport.

Those stamps are very very relevant as is the I-94. If you are sending off the passport, photcopy every single page in it and if it were me, I would remove the I-94 and put it back there when the old passport is returned.

Rete
Old Jun 21st 2004, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Rete
If she has a good length of time left on her passport she can probably, depending on the country, get just an apposilite <sp> showing the name change. It is a single sheet of paper that is added to the present passport.

Those stamps are very very relevant as is the I-94. If you are sending off the passport, photcopy every single page in it and if it were me, I would remove the I-94 and put it back there when the old passport is returned.

Rete

Thanks Rete.

Given the importance of the things in the current passport, I think she shall just keep it and travel with our marriage certificate if she cannot get the amendment showing the name change on the spot at her consulate.

Thanks all again for the comments.
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 1:57 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by katesuiter1
If she's from the UK and applies at the British Embassy in DC, she'll get her old passport back along with the I-94 and K1 still inside. I can't advise you if she's from a different country unfortunately.

Kate. xxxxx
Kate, how long did the DC office take to process & send the new passport? I am about to do this but a bit worried about how long it takes in case I need it for travelling ......

Thanks,

Debbie
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by dbark
Kate, how long did the DC office take to process & send the new passport? I am about to do this but a bit worried about how long it takes in case I need it for travelling ......

Thanks,

Debbie
They say about 10 working days. They send it next day delivery by fedex when they have issued it so someone needs to be at the delivery address to sign for it. Whether that is a true timeline I dont know tho. I haven't changed my passport yet but would like to before the AOS interview but money is tight.
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 3:10 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

...how long did the DC office take to process & send the new passport?
Sorry to hijack someone else's question but I sent mine off June 9th - it arrived there the next day and I got my new one June 21, (yesterday).
I did put in a cover letter though as I had no date to travel, I just wanted my new one in time for my AOS interview, (next Tuesday).

They do warn that it could take up to four weeks for you to get your new passport.

Hope that helps!
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 3:24 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Flyergirl & whistlestop
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 4:59 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dbark

Thanks,

Debbie
Hi, Debbie!

I sent my passport to DC on 8th Nov 2003, and got my new one back in the mail through Fedex on the 19th. As it turned out, they'd accidentally charged me for a new one, as opposed to the name change I requested, but they were kind enough to phone me and let me know, and asked which I'd prefer before they sent it. I decided to get the new 10 yr one to avoid having to renew it again. I only had 3 yrs left on my old one.

Kate. xxx