Large White Envelope

Old May 23rd 2020, 1:23 pm
  #16  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 75
os306 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Large White Envelope

Originally Posted by Palmer30 View Post
My wife (USC sponsor) was able to get the password sent to her parents address in the US and then she was able to download the transcripts from the IRS website. I have heard that the US embassy can be a bit picky also, but I think its more to do with transcripts being easier to upload onto their system at the point of the interview. We did take transcripts and returns for piece of mind

Hopefully someone else can clarify/give better advice...

If it means anything, our interview experience was a lot different than I imagined. Although we had no reason to be worried, I got quite worked up and nervous. Not only because of the financial burden of getting to London for the interview but just incase they asked for something similar to what you mentioned

Once we got there, we went to 4 windows, spent no longer than 5 minutes at each window and was out in 40minutes! A very effecient process.
Thanks for sharing your experience! We tried to get the validation code/password sent to my wife’s (USC) parents’ house in the US but the IRS have stopped doing this for now, frustratingly...

So if I’ve understood correctly, you weren’t asked for any evidence to show that your wife was going to re-establish domicile in the US? Some people have brought evidence of a voting record, driving license renewal, copies of emails proving that they are looking for jobs etc. but it sounds like you weren’t asked for this?
os306 is offline  
Old May 23rd 2020, 1:30 pm
  #17  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 75
os306 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Large White Envelope

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
So pleased to read of your good fortune with the US Embassy, Palmer. All is well and safe travels.

OS, a while back it was reported that they only wanted tax transcripts. As Palmer did, is there someone in the US that your wife trusts who can interface with the IRS website to get the transcripts for her? What is she using for the I-864? Continuing earned income (job being transferred to the US from the UK) or assets? If assets, then you might well get away with the tax copies. The reason they want the transcripts is because anyone can fudge the tax forms but you can't fudge the transcripts as they are your actual filing with the IRS. Good Luck.
Thanks Rete. I spoke to the IRS relatively recently and they said that: 1) they will only mail out tax transcripts to the address they have on file (which is our UK address) and 2) they aren’t currently mailing out tax transcripts so the only way to get hold of one is to register online on the IRS website and download it directly. Unfortunately the IRS website isn’t allowing our foreign address to be entered (it looks like this is a common problem for people who file from abroad) so we aren’t unable to register. Oh well, looks like we’re just going to have to wait until their offices are properly up and running again.

We’re actually using a joint sponsor (father in law) who’s based in the US so should be able to download his transcripts easily. However, we understand that my wife also needs to provide her transcripts to accompany her I-864 as well (even if her income is not being used to sponsor me).

Fingers crossed the situation improves soon!

os306 is offline  
Old May 23rd 2020, 7:56 pm
  #18  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 47
Palmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Large White Envelope

Originally Posted by os306 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience! We tried to get the validation code/password sent to my wife’s (USC) parents’ house in the US but the IRS have stopped doing this for now, frustratingly...

So if I’ve understood correctly, you weren’t asked for any evidence to show that your wife was going to re-establish domicile in the US? Some people have brought evidence of a voting record, driving license renewal, copies of emails proving that they are looking for jobs etc. but it sounds like you weren’t asked for this?
Sorry, to touch on the domicile question - no my wife was not asked to provide evidence during our interview.

Interestingly, I was however asked what my plans were for employment once in the US and I was also asked if I had anything in place for health insurance. This was literally a couple of weeks before Covid-19 hit, so i’m not sure if there is a link anywhere? I was not expecting this.

(My wife has a open US bank account, valid driving license and I also took copies of correspondence between myself and my future employer once in the US).


Palmer30 is offline  
Old May 23rd 2020, 8:41 pm
  #19  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 75
os306 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Large White Envelope

Originally Posted by Palmer30 View Post
Sorry, to touch on the domicile question - no my wife was not asked to provide evidence during our interview.

Interestingly, I was however asked what my plans were for employment once in the US and I was also asked if I had anything in place for health insurance. This was literally a couple of weeks before Covid-19 hit, so i’m not sure if there is a link anywhere? I was not expecting this.

(My wife has a open US bank account, valid driving license and I also took copies of correspondence between myself and my future employer once in the US).
This is incredibly useful info Palmer30, thank you! My wife and I will be pretty much in the same position as you were.

Its very interesting that they asked you about health insurance. This is a recent development (related to Trump’s public charge executive order) and it looks like it’s now going to be a requirement that you have plans for health insurance in place within 30 days after entering the USA. How did you respond to that question? Did you say you would obtain health insurance through your US employer? We are debating whether we should purchase temporary private insurance for me, and have documentation ready in time for the interview, however this is going to be pretty expensive. Thanks again for sharing your experience!
os306 is offline  
Old May 23rd 2020, 8:47 pm
  #20  
 
lansbury's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 9,471
lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Large White Envelope

Originally Posted by os306 View Post

So if I’ve understood correctly, you weren’t asked for any evidence to show that your wife was going to re-establish domicile in the US? Some people have brought evidence of a voting record, driving license renewal, copies of emails proving that they are looking for jobs etc. but it sounds like you weren’t asked for this?
As has been said many times on this forum, the London Embassy has for many years had a very relaxed attitude to showing intent to domicile. They seem to accept that if the USC says they want to move back to the US, and a visa application is filed, they have shown that intent. Hopefully they will continue be that accommodating in the future.
lansbury is offline  
Old May 23rd 2020, 9:59 pm
  #21  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 131
stuwoolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Large White Envelope

Originally Posted by os306 View Post
This is incredibly useful info Palmer30, thank you! My wife and I will be pretty much in the same position as you were.

Its very interesting that they asked you about health insurance. This is a recent development (related to Trump’s public charge executive order) and it looks like it’s now going to be a requirement that you have plans for health insurance in place within 30 days after entering the USA. How did you respond to that question? Did you say you would obtain health insurance through your US employer? We are debating whether we should purchase temporary private insurance for me, and have documentation ready in time for the interview, however this is going to be pretty expensive. Thanks again for sharing your experience!
Turn up at the Interview without HI in place and possibly damage or at least further delay a favourable outcome?

Doesnt seem like a good plan. Yes, its expensive but, personally, I think I would rather have all the bases covered.

I guess we pay the money (or not) and take the chances......

Difficult call.
stuwoolf is offline  
Old May 24th 2020, 5:59 am
  #22  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 47
Palmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Large White Envelope

Originally Posted by os306 View Post
This is incredibly useful info Palmer30, thank you! My wife and I will be pretty much in the same position as you were.

Its very interesting that they asked you about health insurance. This is a recent development (related to Trump’s public charge executive order) and it looks like it’s now going to be a requirement that you have plans for health insurance in place within 30 days after entering the USA. How did you respond to that question? Did you say you would obtain health insurance through your US employer? We are debating whether we should purchase temporary private insurance for me, and have documentation ready in time for the interview, however this is going to be pretty expensive. Thanks again for sharing your experience!
We have health insurance arranged through my future employer.

Interesringly the officer asked the questions and must have been satisfied, as
he did not ask to see all the e-mails and correspondence between myself and my employer that I had prepared (showing us discussing HI). I second the comments that they are pretty relaxed about this.

I would have something in place though. At the very least, even if its some proof that you have researched a few HI providers and show your intent to purchase HI.









Palmer30 is offline  
Old May 24th 2020, 10:04 am
  #23  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 75
os306 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Large White Envelope

Originally Posted by Palmer30 View Post
We have health insurance arranged through my future employer.

Interesringly the officer asked the questions and must have been satisfied, as
he did not ask to see all the e-mails and correspondence between myself and my employer that I had prepared (showing us discussing HI). I second the comments that they are pretty relaxed about this.

I would have something in place though. At the very least, even if its some proof that you have researched a few HI providers and show your intent to purchase HI.
Cheers Palmer. The Public Charge Form (DS-5540) was introduced in February 2020, just before the COVID-19 pandemic disrupted everything. The form specifically asks about health insurance. What's unclear is whether this form will be required for people attending interviews at the London Embassy. I guess we'll have an answer once people start attending interviews again from July. We're planning on having it filled out (and insurance arranged) just in case.

Congratulations on reaching the end of the process and best of luck with the move. Safe travels!

Last edited by os306; May 24th 2020 at 10:27 am.
os306 is offline  
Old May 24th 2020, 3:09 pm
  #24  
Turning into a PA gal!
 
lizzyq's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: State College PA, finally!
Posts: 2,671
lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Large White Envelope

Everybody else has had so much self control, but mine is running out, so I'm sorry, I can't resist asking. How did your LWE come to be compromised?
lizzyq is offline  
Old May 31st 2020, 8:05 pm
  #25  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 47
Palmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Large White Envelope

Landed in in Dallas yesterday. (Atfter a stressful COVID related flight!)

Very smooth process and CPB officers took no longer than 20minutes to do the necessary paperwork and review of my documents before my passport was handed back and we were free to enter the US.

Thankyou to everyone on this forum for your help. Much appreciated.

Now, hopefully my GC & SSN arrives soon so I can open a bank account and get a Texas drivers license! Anyone else recently done this witin Texas?




Palmer30 is offline  
Old May 31st 2020, 9:15 pm
  #26  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 75
os306 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Large White Envelope

Originally Posted by Palmer30 View Post
Landed in in Dallas yesterday. (Atfter a stressful COVID related flight!)

Very smooth process and CPB officers took no longer than 20minutes to do the necessary paperwork and review of my documents before my passport was handed back and we were free to enter the US.

Thankyou to everyone on this forum for your help. Much appreciated.

Now, hopefully my GC & SSN arrives soon so I can open a bank account and get a Texas drivers license! Anyone else recently done this witin Texas?
Congrats. Glad to hear you arrived safely.

You don't need to wait until your physical green card arrives in order to apply for a TX drivers license - the temporary I-551 stamp in your passport will suffice (https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLice...StatusDLID.htm)
os306 is offline  
Old Jun 1st 2020, 1:09 am
  #27  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,093
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Large White Envelope

You also don't need your green card or SSN to open a non- interest-bearing bank account. They can use your passport number as the unique identifier.

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.