Large White Envelope

Old May 17th 2020, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Palmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Large White Envelope

Hello,

Received my large white envelope following a successful interview in London a couple of months ago. Due to travel in two weeks time. CR-1.

The evelope has accidently been opened! (Dont ask!)

None of the documents inside are damaged. The envelope has been damaged.

What are my options? Grateful for assistance.

I should note that due to reasons beyond our control, we are forced to travel in two weeks time. (UK visa expiring and pet shipping restrictions)

Last edited by Palmer30; May 17th 2020 at 8:07 am.
Old May 17th 2020, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

os306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Large White Envelope

Hi,

For some reason, I thought that the US Embassy in London was no longer sending out large white envelopes and that all the information was sent Stateside electronically. I guess not.

How did your passport arrive? Did the white envelope contain another envelope inside it that says "DO NOT OPEN" or was it just one envelope containing all the documents? The reason I ask is that I have read reports of people who receiving an envelope - with their passport and a second envelope contained within it. Opening the larger envelope is okay (how else would you get your passport?) but it's the smaller one inside it that you shouldn't open.
Old May 17th 2020, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Palmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by os306
Hi,

For some reason, I thought that the US Embassy in London was no longer sending out large white envelopes and that all the information was sent Stateside electronically. I guess not.

How did your passport arrive? Did the white envelope contain another envelope inside it that says "DO NOT OPEN" or was it just one envelope containing all the documents? The reason I ask is that I have read reports of people who receiving an envelope - with their passport and a second envelope contained within it. Opening the larger envelope is okay (how else would you get your passport?) but it's the smaller one inside it that you shouldn't open.
I was under this impression too.

What you say above is correct. My documents arrived in a courier bag. Inside the bag was my passport sealed seperately and the large white (do not open) envelope.
Old May 17th 2020, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

os306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Palmer30
I was under this impression too.

What you say above is correct. My documents arrived in a courier bag. Inside the bag was my passport sealed seperately and the large white (do not open) envelope.
Ah I see. So it sounds like the "do not open" envelope is the one that is damaged. See this FAQ: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/famil...united-states/

What should I do if my visa package has been opened or is damaged?
If the visa package arrives with minor nicks or tears, you can apply a small amount of clear tape and explain to the immigration officials that the envelope was damaged in transit. If you have accidentally opened the envelope or it is extensively damaged, please contact us to request that the visa package be resealed. When you fill out a contact form to request resealing, please include your proposed date of travel.

Looks like the next thing to do would be to contact the Embassy ASAP. Good luck!
Old May 17th 2020, 2:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, your only option is to make a Consulate appointment and have the envelope resealed. Since they are not accepting appointments, you are SOL as you WERE to travel in 2 weeks.

Sorry that you left the envelope in a place that was unsafe to prying eyes.

Try contacting them and pray for successful results.

Last edited by Rete; May 17th 2020 at 2:05 pm.
Old May 17th 2020, 3:09 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I should note that due to reasons beyond our control, we are forced to travel in two weeks time. (UK visa expiring and pet shipping restrictions)
The person with the expiring UK visa and the pet can go on ahead. You are the only person affected.
Old May 18th 2020, 6:43 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Arriving with an open envelope is grounds for CBP to refuse entry. Just in case you thought to chance it. Good luck getting it sorted.
Old May 18th 2020, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks for your replies.

I have contacted the embassy and awaiting a response. Fingers crossed!
Old May 23rd 2020, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks for your replies.

I have contacted the embassy and awaiting a response. Fingers crossed!
Out of interest, did the Embassy get back to you? What was their response?
Old May 23rd 2020, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Out of interest, did the Embassy get back to you? What was their response?
Yes, they responded and offered me a re-sealing appointment early next week.

I did not expect them to offer this as I was under the impression they were not accepting appointments of any kind so I am very thankful!

Thankyou for the information you provided in your post above!
Old May 23rd 2020, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Yes, they responded and offered me a re-sealing appointment early next week.

I did not expect them to offer this as I was under the impression they were not accepting appointments of any kind so I am very thankful!

Thankyou for the information you provided in your post above!
That’s great - you can breathe a sigh of relief. Don’t let the dog or any prying hands near that envelope!

I must admit, the Field Office and Embassy in general have been very good about promptly responding to emails during this uncertain time.
Old May 23rd 2020, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

That’s great - you can breathe a sigh of relief. Don’t let the dog or any prying hands near that envelope!

I must admit, the Field Office and Embassy in general have been very good about promptly responding to emails during this uncertain time.
It was more than a sigh of relief, especially as we are also travelling next week! Hopefully there will not be a large que outside.

It was most unexpected and to be honest I have been very impressed with how effecient they have been throughout this whole process. (We have been to the embassy more times than I can count)
Old May 23rd 2020, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

It was more than a sigh of relief, especially as we are also travelling next week! Hopefully there will not be a large que outside.

It was most unexpected and to be honest I have been very impressed with how effecient they have been throughout this whole process. (We have been to the embassy more times than I can count)
Glad to hear it. Speaking of trips to the Embassy, if I remember correctly, your interview was only a few weeks ago. Do you mind if I ask: were you required to provide tax transcripts for your sponsor or were tax returns accepted? I ask because we are currently having a nightmare obtaining tax transcripts from the IRS and I've read some reports on here of the London Embassy not accepting transcripts. Also, were you asked many questions about how your spouse was going to re-establish domicile in the US and if so, how did you respond to that? Thanks a lot!

Old May 23rd 2020, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Glad to hear it. Speaking of trips to the Embassy, if I remember correctly, your interview was only a few weeks ago. Do you mind if I ask: were you required to provide tax transcripts for your sponsor or were tax returns accepted? I ask because we are currently having a nightmare obtaining tax transcripts from the IRS and I've read some reports on here of the London Embassy not accepting transcripts. Also, were you asked many questions about how your spouse was going to re-establish domicile in the US and if so, how did you respond to that? Thanks a lot!
My wife (USC sponsor) was able to get the password sent to her parents address in the US and then she was able to download the transcripts from the IRS website. I have heard that the US embassy can be a bit picky also, but I think its more to do with transcripts being easier to upload onto their system at the point of the interview. We did take transcripts and returns for piece of mind

Hopefully someone else can clarify/give better advice...

If it means anything, our interview experience was a lot different than I imagined. Although we had no reason to be worried, I got quite worked up and nervous. Not only because of the financial burden of getting to London for the interview but just incase they asked for something similar to what you mentioned

Once we got there, we went to 4 windows, spent no longer than 5 minutes at each window and was out in 40minutes! A very effecient process.

Old May 23rd 2020, 1:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

So pleased to read of your good fortune with the US Embassy, Palmer. All is well and safe travels.

OS, a while back it was reported that they only wanted tax transcripts. As Palmer did, is there someone in the US that your wife trusts who can interface with the IRS website to get the transcripts for her? What is she using for the I-864? Continuing earned income (job being transferred to the US from the UK) or assets? If assets, then you might well get away with the tax copies. The reason they want the transcripts is because anyone can fudge the tax forms but you can't fudge the transcripts as they are your actual filing with the IRS. Good Luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.