British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   LA office processing? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/la-office-processing-189304/)

SanBernardino Nov 6th 2003 4:57 am

LA office processing?

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with the Los Angeles office? We filed for my husband's AOS through LA back in February, received the advanced parole and EAD quickly and no word since then. What are the processing times looking like? Are they interviewing anyone with I-130/I-485? I cannot find any current reports of processing times.

JnB637 Nov 6th 2003 8:09 am

Re: LA office processing?

Originally posted by SanBernardino
Does anyone have any idea what is going on with the Los Angeles office? We filed for my husband's AOS through LA back in February, received the advanced parole and EAD quickly and no word since then. What are the processing times looking like? Are they interviewing anyone with I-130/I-485? I cannot find any current reports of processing times.

Its usually taking about a year and a half.. why worried? you can work and travel whenever you want.... so sit thight, wait and be patient.

Folinskyinla Nov 6th 2003 2:06 pm

Hi:

The timelines are indeterminate. Since July, LOS ceased doing interviews on any new cases in order to get rid of the backlogs of "continued" cases and they plan to do this by the end of the year. They will then resume interviewing new cases.

In the past, they were under pressure to interview, interview and interview which led to a lot of "continued" cases. To give you an idea of how bad the problem was -- For the first six weeks of the program they concentrated on "golden oldies" which had been interviewed before December 1998.

BeachBunny Nov 6th 2003 3:44 pm

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

The timelines are indeterminate. Since July, LOS ceased doing interviews on any new cases in order to get rid of the backlogs of "continued" cases and they plan to do this by the end of the year. They will then resume interviewing new cases.

In the past, they were under pressure to interview, interview and interview which led to a lot of "continued" cases. To give you an idea of how bad the problem was -- For the first six weeks of the program they concentrated on "golden oldies" which had been interviewed before December 1998.
LOL I was just going to post that my lawyer told me that they have stopped working on new cases in order to finish/concentrate on any backlog. She told me it'll probably be close to a year for the interview.

SanBernardino Nov 7th 2003 5:07 pm

Originally posted by JnB637
Its usually taking about a year and a half.. why worried? you can work and travel whenever you want.... so sit thight, wait and be patient.
I appreciate your answer, but why be dismissive of my concern? I am glad that he can work and travel, and am patient.

Have you read the posts about travelling on Advanced Parole though? He is understandably nervous about travelling to a conference next year. There appears to be a lot of discretion (to say the least) on the part of the POE officers as to how to treat AP people and even whether to let them in. I am not overly concerned about it, but if I am to expect him to travel on AP (since it sounds like we won't get an interview before the conference) then I know make some extra preparations to make a nice package of entry papers and maybe a letter about his status and purpose of travel. I would also like to plan a trip to Baja California, Mexico before we leave California, but we will not go to Mexico as long as he is on Advanced Parole. Not terribly important, but a girl does like to make plans you know.

Also, we are likely to move out of state mid to late 2004 so that will be a big hassle if we are not interviewed by then. We would even consider refusing positions in states like Texas if it meant getting on their waiting list for however many years it is now. And Texas is among the prospects.

So yes, it does affect our work and travel, but we are fortunate to at least have the option.

SanBernardino Nov 8th 2003 12:09 am

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I am glad there is a good reason for the wait. I hope it helps the people who have been waiting since before 1998. Folinskyinla, will you be likely find out soon after they begin interviewing new cases again? I would really like to know when they start again. Any chance you'd be able to post here when that happens? Thanks for the info. It does help my patience to at least of some idea of what is going on.

Matthew Udall Nov 8th 2003 12:49 am

There appears to be a lot of discretion (to say the least) on the part of the POE officers as to how to treat AP people and even whether to let them in. I am not overly concerned about it, but if I am to expect him to travel on AP (since it sounds like we won't get an interview before the conference) then I know make some extra preparations to make a nice package of entry papers and maybe a letter about his status and purpose of travel.
You know that when he reenters using AP, he’ll have the new status as “parolee�, right? You have taken what that means into account when deciding whether or not to use AP, right? (And what I’m talking about doesn’t really have much to do with the officer at the POE).

I can also confirm that they are working through the older cases that have been pending at the L.A. office. I finally received an appointment letter for a VAWA case (person who entered with K-1, filed AOS in Florida, was battered by her spouse, fled to the west coast, found me, we had I-360 approved at VSC, and is now waiting for AOS approval) that I’ve had pending at L.A. for a couple of years now (it was in the black hole known as the “continuation unit�).

They gave us 6 days notice for the interview. Glad that case will be over with soon.

SanBernardino Nov 8th 2003 1:18 am

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
You know that when he reenters using AP, he’ll have the new status as “parolee?E right? You have taken what that means into account when deciding whether or not to use AP, right? (And what I’m talking about doesn’t really have much to do with the officer at the POE).
Hmm.. I *think* I do. Thanks for the concern about change of status after AP, but I think it is already the same for us since we are using the EAD. Or is there something more to parollee status? My husband was on an F-1 when we married (2-1/2 years ago). He is no longer a student and is now working as a researcher, so he is using the EAD. His F-1 visa is expired and since he is no longer a student he can no longer claim duration of status, so I believe his status is definitely as an adjustee at this point. Is there something more involved in being a parolee than an adjustee? We have avoided using the AP just for fear of entry hassles, but he really needs to present at this conference. Is there some risk other than reentry hassle that I am failing to consider?

...They gave us 6 days notice for the interview. Glad that case will be over with soon.
I'm sure she is very happy too! I'm glad the wait is going to good use. I sure hope they don't pop us with an interview during the one week he is out of the country! Although, an interview appointment before we leave California would be a dream!

Bluegrass Lass Nov 8th 2003 4:40 am

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
You know that when he reenters using AP, he’ll have the new status as “parolee�, right? You have taken what that means into account when deciding whether or not to use AP, right? (And what I’m talking about doesn’t really have much to do with the officer at the POE).

Mattt, what exactly do you mean by 'parolee' status? How does that differ from the 'pending adjustment' status? I've not seen anyone make a reference to what status someone has after using AP.

Jamie

JnB637 Nov 9th 2003 7:14 am

Oooohhh! so you guys are saying that travelling with an Advance Parole its no that safe? I havent applied for my Advance parole yet but planning to. I want to visit my parents in Rosarito (Baja California Mexico) My parents own a restaurant there. Im still thinking if i should risk travelling there since i dont really have to go there.

SanBernardino Nov 9th 2003 6:38 pm

Oooohhh! so you guys are saying that travelling with an Advance Parole its no that safe?
Heretofore I thought it was merely a hassle, but now I am also hoping Mr. Udall will clarify his concerns. I have heard that people who were out of status before they filed for adjustment of status are advised not to use advance parole. Is there any reason of concern for those who were on a valid visa when they filed? Well I guess I'll start a new thread for this question since it is not only relevant to LA people.

P.S.
The new thread on the topic of status after advanced parole is here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=189974

JnB637 Nov 18th 2003 4:12 pm

Hi san bernardino,

How long did it take you to get the EAD? Im going tomorow to the office in Los angeles for my appoinment. How long did it take you to get out of there? Thanks

Folinskyinla Nov 18th 2003 4:31 pm

Hi san bernardino,

How long did it take you to get the EAD? Im going tomorow to the office in Los angeles for my appoinment. How long did it take you to get out of there? Thanks
Hi:

That is quite quick -- probably less than two hours.

Don't take any cameras with you -- including picture cell phones. Wear shoes without metal. Don't wear a belt with a big buckle on it.

Note that the entrance is the MAIN entrance on Los Angeles Street in the center of the bulding. The line, if any goes to the right.

Do NOT get in the line off to the left which enters throught the revolving "do not enter" sign. That line is for the public filing room of CIS and is NOT where you want to go.

BTW, the room where they do the EAD's has recently moved from the basement to the Sixth Floor.

Good luck.

SanBernardino Nov 19th 2003 6:14 am

How long did it take you to get the EAD?
Hi, we actually went to the San Bernardino office not Los Angeles for the EAD. The EAD took a couple hours in San Bernardino -- a lot of waiting around, the real part was quick and they gave him the card immediately thereafter.

I originally asked about the L.A. office processing times because we sent our application to the L.A. office. Actually, we are in the Inland Empire. I suspect that our case actually resides in San Bernardino since they issued our receipt. Until just a couple days ago there were no separate processing times available for San Bernardino. The new processing times on the gov website list San Bernardino times separately.