Wikiposts

LA EAD Experience

Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of
Default LA EAD Experience

FYI: LOS ANGELES EAD EXPERIENCE

First, I get a letter asking me to go to the usual downtown office for an EAD interview and to bring my passport. I phone the pointless helpline number to ask what, exactly, is an EAD interview. I'm told they'll take my fingerprints and photographs for processing of my EAD. Will I get it that day? No...I'll get it a few weeks later.

So I get to my interview half an hour early and the office is closed for lunch. By the time they open, there's a hundred people in line. The guard barks a few disgruntled orders about family members waiting in the lobby and stop cluttering up the hallway, and after checking our appointment letters, he lets us in..."1 o'clock appointments only! The rest o' ya wait IN THE LOBBY!"

I stand in line at the one open window (like at the bank). When I step up I'm asked to verify my name and address as written on a slip of paper and to show my ID (passport). All is correct and I'm told to sit in a chair and wait for my name to be called. After five minutes I'm called to a second window and directed to roll my thumb in ink and leave a print. I sit down again and wait another 5 minutes to be called into a partitioned area where 'FLASH' my picture is taken quickly whilst I'm gawking around for a chair. I'm told to sit down and wait and after 5 more minutes my name is called and I return to the photo area where I'm handed my EAD!!!

Whole process takes 30 minutes and I get to leave with a work permit in my wallet.

James
Old Feb 10th 2004, 5:22 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LA EAD Experience

Originally posted by Dant3
FYI: LOS ANGELES EAD EXPERIENCE

First, I get a letter asking me to go to the usual downtown office for an EAD interview and to bring my passport. I phone the pointless helpline number to ask what, exactly, is an EAD interview. I'm told they'll take my fingerprints and photographs for processing of my EAD. Will I get it that day? No...I'll get it a few weeks later.

So I get to my interview half an hour early and the office is closed for lunch. By the time they open, there's a hundred people in line. The guard barks a few disgruntled orders about family members waiting in the lobby and stop cluttering up the hallway, and after checking our appointment letters, he lets us in..."1 o'clock appointments only! The rest o' ya wait IN THE LOBBY!"

I stand in line at the one open window (like at the bank). When I step up I'm asked to verify my name and address as written on a slip of paper and to show my ID (passport). All is correct and I'm told to sit in a chair and wait for my name to be called. After five minutes I'm called to a second window and directed to roll my thumb in ink and leave a print. I sit down again and wait another 5 minutes to be called into a partitioned area where 'FLASH' my picture is taken quickly whilst I'm gawking around for a chair. I'm told to sit down and wait and after 5 more minutes my name is called and I return to the photo area where I'm handed my EAD!!!

Whole process takes 30 minutes and I get to leave with a work permit in my wallet.

James
Hi:

A further point on the entry into Los Angeles Street building -- the security lines outside have been going up and down. It might take 1 hour to get into the building, it might take 5 minutes. Also, for EAD appointments, go to the line to the LEFT of the main entrance on Los Angeles Street. The line on the right is for the main immigration lobby.

Don't take any weapons or any camera. If you have a photo enabled cell phone, leave in the car.

Make sure you have CURRENT ID or else you can't get in the building. BTW, a currently valid EAD or Passport will serve just fine. Without valid ID, you won't be allowed into the building in order to attend your appointment to get valid ID. This is called "security."
Old Feb 12th 2004, 6:19 am
Alect

Can I ask how long this was after you filed EAD application?

Dant3 <member19432@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > FYI: LOS ANGELES EAD EXPERIENCE
    >
    > First, I get a letter asking me to go
    > to the usual downtown office for an EAD interview and to bring my
    > passport. I phone the pointless helpline number to ask what, exactly,
    > is an EAD interview. I'm told they'll take my fingerprints and
    > photographs for processing of my EAD. Will I get it that day?
    > No...I'll get it a few weeks later.
    >
    > So I get to my interview half an
    > hour early and the office is closed for lunch. By the time they open,
    > there's a hundred people in line. The guard barks a few disgruntled
    > orders about family members waiting in the lobby and stop cluttering up
    > the hallway, and after checking our appointment letters, he lets us
    > in..."1 o'clock appointments only! The rest o' ya wait IN THE LOBBY!"
    >
    >
    > I stand in line at the one open window (like at the bank). When I
    > step up I'm asked to verify my name and address as written on a slip of
    > paper and to show my ID (passport). All is correct and I'm told to sit
    > in a chair and wait for my name to be called. After five minutes I'm
    > called to a second window and directed to roll my thumb in ink and leave
    > a print. I sit down again and wait another 5 minutes to be called into
    > a partitioned area where 'FLASH' my picture is taken quickly whilst I'm
    > gawking around for a chair. I'm told to sit down and wait and after 5
    > more minutes my name is called and I return to the photo area where I'm
    > handed my EAD!!!
    >
    > Whole process takes 30 minutes and I get to leave with
    > a work permit in my wallet.
    >
    > James

Old Feb 12th 2004, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Filed in person Nov 17th 2003
Interview and issue Jan 30th 2004

So just over 10 weeks

-James