Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

L1 visa marrying US citizen,ready to send in I-130 and I-485

L1 visa marrying US citizen,ready to send in I-130 and I-485

Old Sep 3rd 2018, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Jasskatten is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1 visa marrying US citizen,ready to send in I-130 and I-485

I am here on an L1¨visa, and married my american wife four months ago. I have been spending a large chunk of Labor day weekend going through my adjustment of status-application, re-reading the instructions for each form to make sure I haven't missed anything. Didn't get to I-864 and I-864a, but I can get it done during the week, finally! . I think I finally have everything I need, and everything is filled out. This is what we (my wife and I) are sending in:

Check for 535$ payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Form G-1145
Content sheet
Form I-130
Attachments:·
Two passport style photos of my wife
·
Two passport style photos of me
·
Birth Certificate of my wife (copy)
·
Our marriage certificate (copy)
·
Signed pages of our joint lease of apartment (copy)
·
Summary of joint checking account
·
Member ID of joint health insurance
·
Plane ticket for my trip to USA when we met
·
Confirmation mail of bike tour we did together
·
Airplane tickets from various trips we have taken together

Health insurance for my wifes two month visit to me
Photos of us together and with friend and family, including wedding (wrote on back of photos what the occasions were).
Form I-130A

And the I-485 application

Check for 1225$ payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Form G-1145
Content sheet
Form I-485
·
Passport identity page for me (copy)
·
Birth certificate for me
·
Passport page with L1-visa and latest entry stamp (copy)
·
Latest I-94 for me (printout)

Form I-693
Form I-765
·
Latest I-94 for me (printout)
·
Passport identity page of me (copy)

Form I-131
·
Passport page with L1-visa and latest entry stamp (copy)
·
Passport identity page of me (copy)

I-864· Transcript from IRS of wifes most recent tax return·
Letter from my manager with my position and salary
·
Wife’s birth certificate
·
Wife’s employment contract from new job, showing new salary

I-864a· Letter from my manager with my position and salary

Have I missed anything?

While I checked everything, I did still come upon some things that are not entirely clear to me:
In the
1-130, item 37 it asks if my wife's citizenship acquired through birth or parents. Well, she was born to American parents in USA, so what should you put down?
In I-130
61a, it asks which USCIS office we apply at. Since we are sending it to Chicago, I put down Chicago. Or should you give the closest USCIS office here?
Should I attach to G-1145, one for I-130 and one for I-485?
In I-485, item 22a, is L1 the same as temporary worker?
I am sending in both I-864 and I-864a since my wife's employment has been sporadic lately. She actually did make enough money last year to sponsor me, but then she quit her job and did not make enough. Now she recently got a new job and once again earns enough, but figured we would use my income as well as a member of household anyways. Is this the right thinking, or would that just confuse everything?

Oops, this post was longer than I thought... Feeling good about almost being done with this now though.
I get why some people hire a lawyer though...

Last edited by Jasskatten; Sep 3rd 2018 at 10:58 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 11:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 visa marrying US citizen,ready to send in I-130 and I-485

Could you kindly fix your font size. If you still have the edit button you can highlight the entire post and chose the proper font.

I don't understand why you are not also filing the I-131 for the advance parole? It is included in the fee for the I-485.

Last edited by Rete; Sep 3rd 2018 at 11:14 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 12:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No need for I-864a. Since you are married, your income goes directly on her I-864. For the I-864 purpose, you aren't really considered a household member.

Rene
Old Sep 4th 2018, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Thank you both!

Rete, seems I missed the two hour window for editing a post, sorry about that. I am sending in I-131 also.

Noorah101, thanks for the tip on I-864. I just read the instructions, and you're right, there it was on page 8, if you're including the income of your spouse who is the intending immigrant, he or she does not need to fill out form I-864a unless he or she has accompanying children. Thanks a lot! Will re-read the full instructions tomorrow
Old Sep 4th 2018, 2:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jasskatten View Post
Thank you both!

Rete, seems I missed the two hour window for editing a post, sorry about that. I am sending in I-131 also.

Noorah101, thanks for the tip on I-864. I just read the instructions, and you're right, there it was on page 8, if you're including the income of your spouse who is the intending immigrant, he or she does not need to fill out form I-864a unless he or she has accompanying children. Thanks a lot! Will re-read the full instructions tomorrow
I started to edit them out but there were dozens and dozens...in the end I gave up.

As Rete said please use normal font size. Your post is more likely to get ignored if it is hard on the eyes.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 3:17 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

If the I-693 medical exam is submitted, it should be in the envelope sealed by physician.

The exams are good for only one year. The past practice of automatically revalidating clean exams has been discontinued.

Local processing times govern whether it is advisable to submit the medical with the initial submission .
Old Sep 5th 2018, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice, Folinsky! I already did my medical exam, which is most probably money I have wasted, I guess. But at least I have my vaccinations all done until next time!
Old Sep 5th 2018, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
Could you kindly fix your font size. If you still have the edit button you can highlight the entire post and chose the proper font.

I don't understand why you are not also filing the I-131 for the advance parole? It is included in the fee for the I-485.
Funny thing - we filed I 130 and I485 in March this year (recently naturalized daughter sponsored us from E2) and included I-131 and I-785 (EAD) at the same time. Applications were approved and cards received end of June. Last week we received letter to say EAD denied. Yesterday we received a letter to say application for advanced parole denied. I guess the process in Sacramento is well out of wack. I even received a letter in July to tell me my interview in June was cancelled although I had attended that interview and had received the card already.