Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Knightsbridge Medical, Minor Mental Health Issues.

Knightsbridge Medical, Minor Mental Health Issues.

Old May 12th 2018, 11:12 am
Go Braves!

StuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Knightsbridge Medical, Minor Mental Health Issues.

I thought I would give a quick précis of my medical yesterday (May11th 2018) from a slightly different perspective. I know there have been some excellent posts with regard to mental health issues in the past, especially from those with more severe problems than mine, however, this post is really aimed at those with relatively minor mental health problems when compared to others.I won’t go into the medical itself, as this has been covered many times. I will just go through the brief conversation I had with the doctor.To cut a long story short I was diagnosed with a non-psychotic episode of depression back in 2012, I received three sessions of counselling and was medicated until 2013. I was gradually weaned off my medication from late 2012 to mid-2013.I went to see my GP in March this year to arrange a letter for my medical, we sat down and discussed what was needed, and 2 days later she wrote a letter detailing my prognosis at the time, my medication throughout the bout of depression, and that “I was at no point a risk to myself or others”, she then wrote about my current prognosis, medication, and again “she did not consider me a risk to myself or others, now or in the future”. I handed the letter in with my paperwork at reception.When I was seen by the doctor, before the poking and prodding began, he asked me whether I was still on medication for my depression, and asked if I had received any counselling. He then asked the usual questions about drugs and alcohol. He told me that he had read the letter from my GP and was satisfied that it covered everything that he required in relation to my depression. It was all pretty straight forward and certainly for me nothing to worry about.Overall my medical seemed to go well, I wasn’t asked for any additional information and I am now just waiting for the samples to be analysed and then my paperwork to be sent to the consulate, unfortunately it won’t arrive until after my interview on Wednesday, but that’s not a problem.I feel that I was lucky to have a GP who was willing to sit down with me and discuss what was required to be included in the letter.
Old May 12th 2018, 3:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Knightsbridge Medical, Minor Mental Health Issues.

Thank you, Stu, for giving us your details on your medical at Knightsbridge. Also good to have a thread that one can refer others to in the future.
Old May 14th 2018, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

anothercalamity is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with the interview! Mine went well and my visa was approved and I had it in my hand a week later.

i too had minor mental health (depression), I got a letter from my gp who confirmed it was related to circumstances at the time and that all was fine now. I'm not on any meds or anything.

Anyhoo....no problem at all. Visa approved. 😁😁🇺🇸
Old May 14th 2018, 6:27 am
Go Braves!

StuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anothercalamity
Good luck with the interview! Mine went well and my visa was approved and I had it in my hand a week later.

i too had minor mental health (depression), I got a letter from my gp who confirmed it was related to circumstances at the time and that all was fine now. I'm not on any meds or anything.

Anyhoo....no problem at all. Visa approved. 😁😁🇺🇸
Thank you and congratulations, I hope the move goes well.
Old May 14th 2018, 6:30 am
Go Braves!

Originally Posted by Rete
Thank you, Stu, for giving us your details on your medical at Knightsbridge. Also good to have a thread that one can refer others to in the future.
Thank you, this forum has been a great help to me over the last couple of years, it's only right that I try to give something back. I hope that I can be a help others in the future who are just starting their journey.
Old May 27th 2018, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

RainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for sharing.

I had a brief episode of depression myself, way back in 2003. I went to my medical at Knightsbridge without seeing my doctor first (for reasons explained below). As expected, I was asked to get a letter stating that I was not a danger to myself or others.

The reason for not getting the letter beforehand was my terribly unhelpful local surgery, where the receptionist likes to play a 'computer says no' role. It's one of those situations where you can book an appointment ahead of time for non-emergency situations, but the wait time is about 3 weeks. After explaining my situation I was informed that my GP was about to go on holiday and I couldn't see one of the other doctors (although I've never actually met my named GP and have always been treated by one of the 'other' doctors), that "you'll have to pay for that!", and that I would have to put my request in writing. There was no chance of actually sitting down with my GP and explaining what I needed.

Despite the obstructive nature of the receptionist (who I swear too actual joy in making things difficult), my GP wrote a letter before leaving for his holiday (using the phrases Knightsbridge asked for) and only charged me £21. My local doctors are great. Admin could use some training!

All to say that not getting the letter from the GP before going to my medical has cost me no more than two days delay.
Old May 28th 2018, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent that your GP was willing to do something in such detail for you.

We see many people on here with similar circumstances in their past so thank you for sharing - will definitely be of use to others.
Old May 29th 2018, 3:20 pm
Ongoing K1 Visa

Trilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for this feedback regards your experienceStuBear65, it has made me feel more at ease now regards my own brief encounter with depression 5-6 years ago. I too have been in talks with the my Doctor about this and he is going to write me a letter to state more or less what your Doctor wrote for you. Was there anything the Doctor needed to write on the letter regards the immigration case number etc?
Old May 29th 2018, 3:27 pm
Go Braves!

Originally Posted by Trilo
Thank you for this feedback regards your experienceStuBear65, it has made me feel more at ease now regards my own brief encounter with depression 5-6 years ago. I too have been in talks with the my Doctor about this and he is going to write me a letter to state more or less what your Doctor wrote for you. Was there anything the Doctor needed to write on the letter regards the immigration case number etc?
My doctor just put to whom it may concern, and did mention at the beginning that she was writing it in relation to my immigration application, but did not put any case numbers on it. I then just handed it to the receptionist at Knightsbridge when I submitted all my other paperwork.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 9:28 pm
Ongoing K1 Visa

Trilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond repute

Once the doctors letter is given, is there a set time scale from the date issued that it is only valid for use for the Knightsbridge medical and embassy interview?
Old Jun 4th 2018, 8:07 am
Go Braves!

Once the doctors letter is given, is there a set time scale from the date issued that it is only valid for use for the Knightsbridge medical and embassy interview?
Mine was dated March and my medical was May. Not sure about any set time scales.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 6:04 pm
Ongoing K1 Visa

Well I got my Doctors letter today which says everything that is needed which is cool One question I have though is that the doctor has not signed it in ink, it says...

Yours sincerely

Electronically checked but not signed

Dr S Brinksman

I take it that this will still be acceptable? It is on headed notepaper has a reference code for the letter. Just wondered if anyone else has the same thing on their letter?
Old Sep 27th 2018, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

samills610 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I got my Doctors letter today which says everything that is needed which is cool One question I have though is that the doctor has not signed it in ink, it says...

Yours sincerely

Electronically checked but not signed

Dr S Brinksman

I take it that this will still be acceptable? It is on headed notepaper has a reference code for the letter. Just wondered if anyone else has the same thing on their letter?
Was this OK for you? About to request the same letter from my GP and wondering if it is required to be signed in ink?

Thank you
Old Sep 27th 2018, 2:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

He got his visa so guess it was okay.