Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

KI fiance visa questions

Wikiposts

KI fiance visa questions

Old Nov 19th 2001, 9:48 am
Zond

My Indonesian fiance submitted her form I-129F and letter of invitation to the
Jakarta American embassy in Aug. 2001. We were together there from Dec99 to June00,
when I returned to US. I worked for an employer in 1998, and met sponsor income
level. I was self employed for 6 months each in 1999 and 2000...did not meet minimum
income level; did not file tax return in 99 (below filing level). Is year 2000
considered current income?

Do I need 3 years' tax returns? We are still searching for a cosponsor. Does
cosponsor need to submit their form I-134 to the INS office nearest them? When does
the 2 year filing deadline expire?

Thanks for information,

Zond

Old Nov 20th 2001, 2:29 am
Shelley

I am confused. When I (USC) wanted to bring my then fiancé (Canadian) to the US, I
had to file the I-129F here in the US at the Service Center in Nebraska. My fiancé
had to take the I-134 to the Consulate in Canada with him for the interview for his
K-1 visa. Perhaps you need to read www.k1faq.com and review what you need to do to
bring your fiancé to the US. As for the I-134 - it is only concerned with current
income, unless you are self employed you do not need to send any income tax forms,
only a letter from your employer. If you need a co-sponsor, your fiancé will have to
take both your I-134 and your co-sponsors I-134 to her interview for the K-1. And you
had better file those past year tax forms - when she arrives in the US and you need
to file her AOS, you must submit 3 years of tax forms. Another great site for
information on the K-1 is Doc Steen's
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm accept the disclaimer and
read, read, read. This site is incredibly helpful. Also try posing at
alt.visa.us.marriage-based Take Care, Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 25th 2001, 3:37 pm
Zond

Dear Shelley,

I'm also confused! *smile* Per what I read on the instruction sheet I obtained from
the US embassy in Jakarta, I composed a letter of invitation which I mailed to my
Indonesian fiance. She took that and our completed information forms G-325A (not
1-129F) to the Jakarta embassy in August 2001. The officer there told her she didn't
need the letter of invitation.

I have read everything on those sites and many more. I am self-employed. So I will
only need year 2000 tax return. So I will be mailing her both I-134 sponsor forms, my
2000 notarized tax return copy, and all supporting evidence for I-134 and proof of
relationship?

>
    >
    >
    >

Thanks for your help.

Zond

Old Nov 26th 2001, 6:57 pm
Shelley

Have you submitted an I-129F at your Service Center? I don't know what information
sheet you received at the Embassy, but here is a link to their website regarding
fiancé visas. http://www.usembassyjakarta.org/cons...fofiances.html The letter of
invitation with G-325 forms - sounds like what you need for a Tourist visa, not a
K-1. The K-1 is a non-immigrant visa - is your instruction sheet for immigrant visas?
As for the I-134 - complete the form (it needs to be notarized), a copy of last years
tax return (it does not need to be notarized), other supporting docs, and definitely
proof of relationship. Take Care. Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > As for the I-134 - it is only concerned with current income, unless you[/usenetquote2]
are
[usenetquote2]> > self employed you do not need to send any income tax forms, only a[/usenetquote2]
letter
[usenetquote2]> > from your employer. If you need a co-sponsor, your fiancé will have to[/usenetquote2]
take
[usenetquote2]> > both your I-134 and your co-sponsors I-134 to her interview for the K-1.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 27th 2001, 4:00 pm
Zond

>

Not yet. Am still searching for a cosponsor. And in process of getting a new job with
state government.

>
    >
    >

Thank you for the link.

>
    >
    >

The instruction sheet and forms I received directly from the embassy included two
G-325 forms--biographical information for me and finance. These have been submitted
there by my fiance.

Regards,

Zond

Old Nov 27th 2001, 5:29 pm
Shelley

You should submit your I-129F as soon as you can. It will take anywhere from 2 1/2 to
4 months for this to be processed. You are going to need two new G-325 forms to
submit this application. Hopefully your fiancée can get another at the Embassy or
else you will have to send her one. As long as you have a job by the time she has her
K-1 interview and you are currently making above the income requirement you won't
need a co-sponsor. The I-134 is only about current income. Besides, you do not send
the I-134 the I-129F, it goes with your fiancée to the interview, which is at least 5
- 6 months after your I-129F is approved. And if you need more time after the I-129F
is approved, she can delay sending the checklist from Packet #3 a few weeks until you
have everything you need ready for her interview. Again I will suggest www.k1faq.com
. I used this as a guide when I filed, and the entire process took over 6 months to
complete (1999). Later, after you are married, you may need a co-sponsor if your last
three years of income are not over 125% of poverty for her AOS. Sounds like someone
at that Consulate didn't know much about how K-1 visas are issued. Either that, or
they do it differently than every other one in the world. Take Care. Shelley

[usenetquote2]> > Have you submitted an I-129F at your Service Center?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I don't know what information sheet you received at the Embassy, but[/usenetquote2]
here is
[usenetquote2]> > a link to their website regarding fiancé visas.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > http://www.usembassyjakarta.org/consular/infofiances.html[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > The letter of invitation with G-325 forms - sounds like what you need[/usenetquote2]
for a
[usenetquote2]> > Tourist visa, not a K-1. The K-1 is a non-immigrant visa - is your instruction[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > sheet for[/usenetquote2]
immigrant
[usenetquote2]> > visas?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >