Wikiposts

Karen D: Is that it?

Old Oct 31st 2003, 7:35 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Karen D: Is that it?

Originally posted by Karen D
I have just received my SS# in the mail - yippeeeee!

I must admit, I was expecting something a little more fancy though, its just a piece of flimsy card that you detach from the address stub!

Oh well, at least it didn't take long to get here...
hiya Karen, I'm answering on a new thread so that this goes to usenet; I don't feel we should cut the rest of the world out & thought this would be useful to other new SS card holders.

RE: the Social Security card, I have a thought to add. The card itself *is* flimsy, and not what one would expect after what a newcomer has to go through to get it. I'll tell you what I told my PR husband: guard that number with your life.

While not something that's *likely* to happen, identity theft is on the rise. You may have even seen the citibank ads on TV & gotten a chuckle. But one of the best things for an identity thief to get their hands on is someone else's SS card/number. If you must carry your card number with you, perhaps you can decode it in some way that makes it useless to another. You'll find that every organization & their brother will want that number, but you can be judicious about who you give it to.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 7:43 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Karen D: Is that it?

Originally posted by meauxna
While not something that's *likely* to happen, identity theft is on the rise.
My parents were victim's of identity theft. Or well, my dad was actually. Someone opened an entirely new credit card under his name, address, and SS#, etc. My dad then got a warning to pay back his $4,000 credit card bill. The catch: my dad had already moved back to Europe in August and this credit card was opened in October. It was extremely hard for my dad to get this sorted out since he was already living in Europe again. I think it took my dad a good half year to get it sorted out. He actually told me that he didn't know if he could come to my wedding because he was scared to enter the country and get arrested!
Old Oct 31st 2003, 7:45 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

PS He never figured out how his identity was stolen.

Oh, and the credit card company was giving him a really tough time since it wasn't just someone who stole his card and made purchases with it, but it was someone that opened an entirely new card. So yeah, it was a BIG hassle!
Old Oct 31st 2003, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of

Originally posted by meauxna
I'm answering on a new thread so that this goes to usenet; I don't feel we should cut the rest of the world out & thought this would be useful to other new SS card holders.

RE: the Social Security card, I have a thought to add. The card itself *is* flimsy, and not what one would expect after what a newcomer has to go through to get it. I'll tell you what I told my PR husband: guard that number with your life.

While not something that's *likely* to happen, identity theft is on the rise. You may have even seen the citibank ads on TV & gotten a chuckle. But one of the best things for an identity thief to get their hands on is someone else's SS card/number. If you must carry your card number with you, perhaps you can decode it in some way that makes it useless to another. You'll find that every organization & their brother will want that number, but you can be judicious about who you give it to.
Hi Meauxna!

Thanks for that, and for re-posting on Usenet - I shall tick the box in future

My husband had told me about Identity theft, but it is an important and valuable point to make, and well worth re-iterating to all of us here, especially those of us who have just obtained our SS#.