Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Kansas City AOS Interview CR6 after 2nd anniversary??????

Kansas City AOS Interview CR6 after 2nd anniversary??????

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 1:44 pm
Constantine

Default Kansas City AOS Interview CR6 after 2nd anniversary??????

Got married 08/11/00, AOS approved 08/15/02 My approval letter states CR6 even
thought it should have been
IR6.

Well, I went to the INS this morning to find out what the problem was. The first
guy I talked with at the INS told me that everything was how it was supposed to
be and I would have to file a petition to remove conditions in 2 years. Then I
talked to another lady and she checked in the computer and told me that the
computer also showed CR6, however, she thought that it was a mistake, so she went
and talked with the supervisor - they both agreed that it was a mistake and I got
my IR6 stamp in the passport.

My question is: IS EVERYTHING OVER? Or will I still receive the 2year Green Card
and will have to remove the conditions? What should I do next? Post a follow-up to
this message

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 2:10 am
Folinskyiinla

Default Re: Kansas City AOS Interview CR6 after 2nd anniversary??????

[email protected] (constantine) wrote in message
news:<[email protected] om>...
    > Got married 08/11/00, AOS approved 08/15/02 My approval letter states CR6 even
    > thought it should have been
    > IR6.
    > Well, I went to the INS this morning to find out what the problem was. The
    > first guy I talked with at the INS told me that everything was how it was
    > supposed to be and I would have to file a petition to remove conditions in 2
    > years. Then I talked to another lady and she checked in the computer and told
    > me that the computer also showed CR6, however, she thought that it was a
    > mistake, so she went and talked with the supervisor - they both agreed that it
    > was a mistake and I got my IR6 stamp in the passport.
    > My question is: IS EVERYTHING OVER? Or will I still receive the 2year Green Card
    > and will have to remove the conditions? What should I do next? Post a follow-up to
    > this message

Hi:

I'm an immigration attorney in Los Angeles. This happens from time to time.
However, if you were granted residence after your second anniversery, then you are an
IR-6 and will not have to remove the condition. This is not to say that you won't
get an erroneous CR-6 card. If that happens, then you have to file an I-90 for a
replacement card [no filing fee, but a hassle nonetheless] to correct the error.

If the card doesn't ever get corrected, go for citizenship at the 3-year mark if
still living in "marital union" and resolve the problem then. [I've had that happen
twice for clients. I had one client with a non-marriage LPR who NEVER got his I-551,
just a series of six annual stamps before he naturalizaed].

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 2:51 am
Des

You have the IR-6 stamp - and hopefully the names of the INS officers which corrected
the mistake in the computer. If you get your greencard in the mail, and it shows CR-6
by mistake, you need to file form I-90 (I believe?) and send the evidence with it. Of
course, that costs some additional money, so I would just return to the INS office
with all the evidence and ask to see the very same people that have helped you out
this time. Meanwhile, let's hope for the best!

- Des

Old Aug 26th 2002, 2:00 am
Constantine

Thank you guys for your answers. I hope that the INS will be able to correct the
problems. I forgot to mention, that the approval letter stated Adj.Class CR6,
however, it did not include any information on removing of the condition and did not
mention that I was granted a Conditional Status. Does anybody know if the INS has to
include this kind of information by law? I do not know the name of the person who
corrected the mistake in my passport.