K3 visa (please read)

Old Mar 11th 2022, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

TakeTheSky1138 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K3 visa (please read)

Hi. So I’ve been hearing different things and I figured this is the best place to ask:

is the k3 visa still being processed? I know it’s deemed “not worth it” by many but with current waiting times, would the k3 visa be appropriate?

my wife and I were just married, she’s back in the US and I’m in the UK. We’re are beginning the I130 and I’m wondering that if the k3 visa is obsolete, is there an alternative? I understand the CR1 is better but our concern is shortening the distance between us. I would love to be able to wait in the US while the I130 processes as we miss each other terribly.

Some advice would be great here.
Old Mar 11th 2022, 9:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K3 visa (please read)

The K3 is obsolete because of the length of time it takes, which is about equal to the CR1 process.

The only alternative that could get you living in the USA while waiting is if you qualify for some other visa... work, student, etc.

Rene
Old Mar 11th 2022, 10:32 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TakeTheSky1138
is there an alternative? I understand the CR1 is better but our concern is shortening the distance between us. I would love to be able to wait in the US while the I130 processes as we miss each other terribly.
Have you looked into her relocating to the UK in order for you to be together?
Old Mar 12th 2022, 1:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The K3 is obsolete because of the length of time it takes, which is about equal to the CR1 process.

The only alternative that could get you living in the USA while waiting is if you qualify for some other visa... work, student, etc.

Rene

Thanks for the response. I guess I am a little confused by the whole CR1 thing. My understanding was that the k3 allowed the beneficiary to move to the US BEFORE the I130 had been approved, thereby shortening the waiting period. Does the CR1 serve the same function? Could I use the CR1 visa to locate to the US while the I130 is processing or would I need to wait till it had processed?

sorry for all the questions, we are just kind of overwhelmed with it all.
Old Mar 12th 2022, 1:57 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I am not familiar with current time lines. Is it possible that K3 is a viable option in these covid days? I know it has not been in the last 20 years!
Old Mar 12th 2022, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The CR1 visa is the one where a US citizen sponsors their new spouse. The first step is the I-130

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...or-spouse.html

As said the K3 is obsolete....apply for the CR1
Old Mar 12th 2022, 6:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding was that the k3 allowed the beneficiary to move to the US BEFORE the I130 had been approved, thereby shortening the waiting period.
I think the point is that the time it would take to get to the stage in the process when you can move with the K3 is about the same time as the total CR1 processing, hence why it’s pretty pointless. So it’s not going to get you there quicker and it’s a less superior visa as you then have to go through more processing once you’ve got to that stage, unlike with the CR1. Plus it costs more.

As above, it’s a much quicker process for her to come to the UK, is that an option?
Old Mar 12th 2022, 1:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the response. I guess I am a little confused by the whole CR1 thing. My understanding was that the k3 allowed the beneficiary to move to the US BEFORE the I130 had been approved, thereby shortening the waiting period.
About 20 years ago, it was taking 2 or 3 years for an I-130 to get approved. So in the meantime, a K-3 could be obtained in about 6 months, allowing the immigrant to live in the USA until I-130 approval.

Last I heard (many years ago), the K-3 process was taking just as long as the I-130/CR-1 process, so it didn't bring you to the USA any sooner.

Nowadays, I have no idea (but I doubt it). However, IIRC, there's no fee to file an I-129F towards a K-3 visa, so you could just give it a shot and see what happens...

Rene
Old Mar 12th 2022, 2:05 pm

Old Mar 12th 2022, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Thanks! That’s kind of what I was wondering: Is it worth a shot so I think we just might do that.

In filing the I129f in addition to the I130, would I still need to provide pictures of a bona fide relationship? That would seem a little redundant since I would have already provided proof of marriage/relationship with the I130 right?
Old Mar 12th 2022, 2:38 pm

The I-129F is a totally separate application so you need to provide all the documents required in the instructions, even if you provided the same in the I-130 application.

Rene