Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K3 not granted @ POE, now what??

Wikiposts

K3 not granted @ POE, now what??

Old Jun 16th 2002, 4:20 pm
Me

Default K3 not granted @ POE, now what??

Well, I finally arrived in the US on June 13 but not with my EAD!! Although
Vancouver stated in it's instructions that I would be given EAD at POE apparently I
messed up while filling out DS-156. When asked in DS-156 if I would be working when
in US and where I checked 'NO'! I thought that it was asking if I would be working
as soon as I entered the US and since I did not have authorization and a job lined
up I checked NO. Well, according to the immigration officer at POE in Toronto (this
was his first K3) if I had of checked YES I would of been granted EAD at that time
but now I would have to apply at the local office. How true is this? He also told me
that it would only take a few minutes to process and I would receive the card the
same day. How true is this? Where do I go from here? Do I apply for EAD at the local
office in Atlanta or do I apply at the chicago office? I am so darn frusterated with
this whole process, I can't understand how your individual case all depends on what
officer you get at POE and what information you get from the INS information line!
How can so many people have so many different answers about one process, does anyone
at INS get training? Any help would be wonderful, and a heck of a lot more help than
I'm getting from INS!

Old Jun 16th 2002, 10:20 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Default Re: K3 not granted @ POE, now what??

Me wrote:
    > Well, I finally arrived in the US on June 13 but not with my EAD!! Although
    > Vancouver stated in it's instructions that I would be given EAD at POE apparently I
    > messed up while filling out DS-156. When asked in DS-156 if I would be working when
    > in US and where I checked 'NO'! I thought that it was asking if I would be working
    > as soon as I entered the US and since I did not have authorization and a job lined
    > up I checked NO. Well, according to the immigration officer at POE in Toronto (this
    > was his first K3) if I had of checked YES I would of been granted EAD at that time
    > but now I would have to apply at the local office. How true is this? He also told
    > me that it would only take a few minutes to process and I would receive the card
    > the same day. How true is this? Where do I go from here? Do I apply for EAD at the
    > local office in Atlanta or do I apply at the chicago office? I am so darn
    > frusterated with this whole process, I can't understand how your individual case
    > all depends on what officer you get at POE and what information you get from the
    > INS information line! How can so many people have so many different answers about
    > one process, does anyone at INS get training? Any help would be wonderful, and a
    > heck of a lot more help than I'm getting from INS!

You file for an EAD card to the Chicago INS office, as I understand it.
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fo...orms/i-765.htm (see heading "life related
changes", first item)

Alvena

Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
gleaned from the previous postings of others, and posted for the purpose of
discussion only. If your case is complicated, then you may need an immigration
attorney. Locate an immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================