k3 or CR1 visa

Old Sep 7th 2011, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

cherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nice
Default k3 or CR1 visa

Please help. I have just returned from a trip to the USA to visit my boyfriend. We intended to marry soon but, on the spur of the moment, married in a quickie ceremony out there (we have known each other for many years, reconnected a year ago and guess just didnt want to wait any longer). I have returned to the UK as have stuff to deal with here (house job etc) but intend to return and live in the US.
We have been ploughing through pages of information on the best and quickest way for me to return there. He has been told the best route is for me to apply for a K3 visa once the I130 is approved for processing but I have read that it can be just as quick to go down the normal CR1 route. Any advice or comments from people who have been in similar situations would be most welcome.
Also, once he has sent off the I130, am I still ok to visit him in the states(returning to the UK) under the Esta visa waiver. I already have Esta authorised.
One other question....can anyone give any information about how long CR1's can take? Thanks
Old Sep 7th 2011, 12:30 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: k3 or CR1 visa

CR1 is the visa you want. Forget the K3. The visa generally takes 8-10 months from filing the I-130.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 12:50 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherh66
Also, once he has sent off the I130, am I still ok to visit him in the states(returning to the UK) under the Esta visa waiver. I already have Esta authorised.
There is nothing to stop you visting the US during the process. Many do.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578918
Old Sep 7th 2011, 1:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

As the others have said, stick to the Immigrant Visa processing. The K3 information is way outdated, and it's no longer a good visa for you.

Takes about 8 - 10 months to process the Immigrant Visa, from filing I-130 to getting Visa interview.

Yes, you can continue to visit the USA in the meantime.

Rene
Old Sep 7th 2011, 1:23 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

There are new threads on this topic almost daily, and the replies are always the same. Poster S Folinsky made a very informative post on the subject just 3 days ago, on Sept 3. You might want to read it.

Regards, JEff

Any advice or comments from people who have been in similar situations would be most welcome.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Sep 7th 2011 at 1:25 am.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

we just got done with a CR1 visa.

7 months 21 days from posting the papers to VISA in passport.

I visited hubby twice during the process, once for 3 weeks, once for 89 days
Old Sep 7th 2011, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

cherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nice

thank you for that! One thing tho...did you change your name on UK passport to your married name during the visa process application or leave in maiden name? Does it make any difference? SO glad I can still visit him. 7 months would b a long time to be apart without seeing each other!! and if I changed passport name would I have to apply for new Esta or is current still valid.
Many thanks for all replies above....CR1 route looks way to go

Last edited by cherh66; Sep 7th 2011 at 9:00 am. Reason: addition of question
Old Sep 7th 2011, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Does it make any difference?
Don't change the name on your passport until you've got your GC and are living in the US. To do so now would be far more bothersome than useful.

Ian
Old Sep 7th 2011, 2:29 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

My wife has never changed her name on her home-country passport, it's still in her maiden name, and she's a US citizen now. Her US passport is in her married name.

It makes no difference (except that she needs to remember to show the passport with the name that matches her airline ticket to the airline and TSA staff when flying).

Regards, JEff

...did you change your name on UK passport to your married name during the visa process application or leave in maiden name? Does it make any difference?
Old Sep 7th 2011, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your help here!