Wikiposts

K3 to AOS

Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Paulbpaul has a reputation beyond reputePaulbpaul has a reputation beyond reputePaulbpaul has a reputation beyond reputePaulbpaul has a reputation beyond reputePaulbpaul has a reputation beyond reputePaulbpaul has a reputation beyond reputePaulbpaul has a reputation beyond reputePaulbpaul has a reputation beyond reputePaulbpaul has a reputation beyond reputePaulbpaul has a reputation beyond reputePaulbpaul has a reputation beyond repute
Default K3 to AOS

Hello there,

Its been a while since I posted on here but I still frequent this particular forum for valuable information and advice.
A quick recap on my history:
Married my USC girlfriend in December 08 on visa waiver.
Returned to the UK to begin K-3 Visa process.
Received the K-3 Visa on 6th July 09
Relocated to Wisconsin 30th July (needed more time! but couldn't wait)

Finally got around to AOS proceedings in mid - October. Had Biometrics done in Milwaukee 29th November. So today (26th January) was the big day for the actual AOS interview in Minnesota. I have to say it went surprisingly well. I hardly needed anything from my bulging file of original and copies of supporting documentation. Maybe the fact that my wife and I brought along our 13 month old daughter, who would only add to 'proof of our relationship', helped greatly. We had no choice but to bring her with us.
The immigration officer was quite friendly but professional when he had to be, asking me questions to see if they tied into what was submitted by myself for the application. Who I am, where I was born, when did we get married, things like that. He only needed to see all 3 of our passports, my wifes drivers license, my EAD, and a copy of baby girl's birth certificate which was submitted originally. Maybe it was misplaced or unreadable? Hard to say.
So after a few brief questions, roughly 20 minutes later, he approved the application. Fantastic news! He then explained that as the marriage was less than 2 years old, that it was a conditional LPR visa, and could begin proceedings to remove the conditions 90 days before it expired, which I understood and already knew thanks to this site. After that, the 2 and a half hour ride back to base in Wisconsin flew by.
So I should receive my new visa in a few short weeks. Cannot wait to get that in my hands.
Everything went smoothly during the process, I was one of the lucky ones that received no RFE's. Everything happened really fast from filing in October to this date.
Thank you to everyone who gave me advice (Noorah, Meauxna, ian-mstm, jeffreyhy) and to many many more whose advice and experience has proved to be so invaluable in getting me where I am right now. Its not over but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
I hope my experience can help with others doing the K-3/ AOS dance. I'll gladly answer any questions if anyone has them, if I can.

Thanks and best wishes,

Paul.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K3 to AOS

Originally Posted by Paulbpaul
So I should receive my new visa in a few short weeks.
Congratulations! Actually, you'll be receiving your green card (permanent resident card), not a "new visa".

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice (Noorah, Meauxna, ian-mstm, jeffreyhy) ...
You're welcome, it's so nice to hear the happy news from the people we help.

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:47 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K3 to AOS

Originally Posted by Paulbpaul
So after a few brief questions, roughly 20 minutes later, he approved the application.
And that's what it's all about! Congratulations.

Ian