K3->SSN $ Driver's License

Wikiposts

K3->SSN $ Driver's License

Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:37 am
Just Joined

imen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K3->SSN & Driver's License

Hi,

My husband will be coming w/ a K3 visa and has a Canadian Driver's License. Could someone w/ a similar situation please tell me what are the first steps we should go by to get all these?
I know that we will file for an Adjustment of status and a work permit, but then what's next? Can we open a bank account right away or does he need a SSN for that?

Thanks
Old Feb 17th 2004, 9:04 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K3->SSN & Driver's License

Originally posted by imen
Hi,

My husband will be coming w/ a K3 visa and has a Canadian Driver's License. Could someone w/ a similar situation please tell me what are the first steps we should go by to get all these?
I know that we will file for an Adjustment of status and a work permit, but then what's next? Can we open a bank account right away or does he need a SSN for that?

Thanks

First we need to know WHERE you are at in the US to best advise you. It depends on YOUR state's DMV policy, so best to check their website whether they will recognize his license, or for how long etc.. Quite possibly your husband will NOT need an SSN to be added to your existing bank account, but best to check with your bank. However if he opens an account on his own without you he WILL need an SSN. Also, depending on where you live, will decide on whether or not he can apply for AOS if the 130 is not approved yet.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 9:04 am
Queen of the Obvious

KimJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks
I think your first steps should be to contact your bank and the Dept. of motor vehicles for whichever state you live in to find out what the requirements are.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 9:24 am
David9287

Originally posted by cindyabs
Quite possibly your husband will NOT need an SSN to be added to your existing bank account, but best to check with your bank. However if he opens an account on his own without you he WILL need an SSN.
Hello,
just a quick note; we open a "joint savings account" in both of our names and a "checking account" soley in my fiance'es name without a SSN for her. We showed our "SSA Reciept" and told them that we had just applied for a SSN for her. They opened the accounts, made the deposits and told us to update our account once the SSN was issued. Took about 20min. Denver, Colorado. We used a different bank than the one I use for my "personal/business" banking needs.

Old Feb 18th 2004, 8:22 am
Just Joined

imen is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok these are good ideas, and by the way I'm in SC. I checked the DMV and they request the SSN card and proofs of residency (bills..ect) but first thing is I would check w/ my bank.

Thanks
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Worked on this yesterday. In Louisiana you can get a letter fron the Social Security people that will allow a K-3 to obtain a drivers license and open a bank account without a social security number. To obtain the social security number the EAD is needed... (90 days?).

Hi,

Thanks
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:09 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lpdiver
Worked on this yesterday. In Louisiana you can get a letter fron the Social Security people that will allow a K-3 to obtain a drivers license and open a bank account without a social security number. To obtain the social security number the EAD is needed... (90 days?).

That WOULD be 90 days and WAS even less than that last fall, but we are at 144 days and no EAD from NBC. We went and got an interim EAD from the local service center and now are waiting for the SSN to come in the mail.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Scary...The entire apartment has been cleaned and all the clothes rewashed and reorganized in three days. Three months of this...hehehe. We better get that girl to the gym.

That WOULD be 90 days and WAS even less than that last fall, but we are at 144 days and no EAD from NBC. We went and got an interim EAD from the local service center and now are waiting for the SSN to come in the mail.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:54 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

An ITIN should suffice for opening a bank account. There are no SS taxes paid on earnings from bank accounts, only income taxes.

Regards, JEff

... Quite possibly your husband will NOT need an SSN to be added to your existing bank account, but best to check with your bank. However if he opens an account on his own without you he WILL need an SSN. ....
Old Feb 19th 2004, 12:42 pm
Michael D. Young

Default Re: K3->SSN $ Driver's License

lpdiver wrote:

> Worked on this yesterday. In Louisiana you can get a letter fron the
    > Social Security people that will allow a K-3 to obtain a drivers license
    > and open a bank account without a social security number. To obtain the
    > social security number the EAD is needed... (90 days?).

I assume you are talking about an SSA-L696 form letter.

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203510

RM 00203.510 Alien without Work Authorization - Nonwork Need for an SSN

2. Alien Alleges a Nonwork Need for Original SSN Card

If the alien has not provided the required information, provide written
notice using Form SSA-L676 to explain that an SSN cannot be assigned or a
card issued because the applicant did not present appropriate authorization
permitting him/her to work in the U.S. and has not provided evidence of a
valid nonwork reason for needing an SSN.

IMPORTANT: Some State agencies may require that an alien applying for a
benefit or service and alleging not to have an SSN obtain a written notice
(Form SSA-L676) from SSA stating that SSA cannot assign the alien an SSN.

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 8:05 am
Brenda Ballard

Default Re: K3->SSN $ Driver's License

My husband is also from Canada......we opened
up a joint bank acct together my name first and
until our k3 was approved they used his canadian ss number.......he had
to wait unitl he
got his ss number to get his driver license..........in which he got
after his ead appointment..

timeline
Arrived in the USA March 2003
applied for his ead card in March as well