Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K2 children and school in the US?

Wikiposts

K2 children and school in the US?

Old Jul 14th 2002, 7:20 pm
Cheryl Lynn

Default K2 children and school in the US?

How does it work when you bring your fiance's child over with them? Do the children
need anything special to start school in the US? I have tried to find info on this,
and I can't.

Thanks.

Old Jul 14th 2002, 7:21 pm
Mrs_blackross

Default Re: K2 children and school in the US?

check with the local school the children will be attending, they will be able to tell
you where you need to go to get the kids enrolled. here in Montgomery County,
Maryland, they have an International Students Center where I took mine to get
enrolled. I had to prove residency (lease, mail addressed to me here, marriage
certificate) and parentage (birth certificates listing my name as parent, and/or
divorce papers showing custody). I also had to have their previous school records
(and I had to translate them to english, as my kids went to french school). They
wanted SSNs but it was not a requirement. At the time, it wasn't necessary to prove
immigration status, though that may have changed since 9/11. You will also need
immunization records as well, and if you cannot provide any, the school will require
essential shots to be given before the kids can start attending.

--
Crazy Canuck married to a Dam Yankee Entered as Visitor 07/04/01 Married 08/25/01
Filed @ VSC-AOS, EAD, AP 01/07/02 1st NOA 02/06/02 2nd NOA 02/07/02 EAD approved
02/26/02 AP Approved 02/28/02 AOS appointment letter rec'd 03/07/02 Fingerprint
letter rec'd 03/07/02 AOS interview 04/02/02 AOS APPROVED 04/02/02!!! GC arrived in
mail 04/19/02 next step..removing conditions..April 2004

some helpful sites on the net:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm
http://www.geocities.com/immigration...-130/index.htm

"Cheryl Lynn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > How does it work when you bring your fiance's child over with them? Do
the
    > children need anything special to start school in the US? I have tried to find info
    > on this, and I can't.
    >
    > Thanks.

Old Jul 15th 2002, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K2 children and school in the US?

The specific procedures depend on the state/county regulations and the local school board. The best thing is to get the USC to meet with the school principal ASAP to go over the procedures before you leave your home country, as you may need to collect info from there which is easier before you leave.

A couple of non-obvious things that spring to mind:

You may need to bring records from the children's current school. The US school will expect a single page "transcript", which is a summary of what they have studied and achieved so far, so keep this in mind when collecting the info, but don't worry if you have too much.

You will need a record of all vaccinations the child has received since birth.

The child may need a TB test (performed in the US).

Like any US child entering a school, you will need to provide a birth certificate, doctor's report and proof of residency in the school district.

When you arrive in the US, you should register with a paediatrician or GP ASAP so that the children can have a health check (it is common for US children to have an annual physical) and TB test. There may be a grace period (eg a month) between entering school and providing all the health information. Your school can confirm the specifics.