Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K2 Adoption citizenship law

Wikiposts

K2 Adoption citizenship law

Old Jan 12th 2002, 5:53 pm
Us&Uk

Hi. I found the page describing the recent law that makes adopted children of U.S.
citizens by act of law. Surprisingly, the information is somewhat vague! It says the
adopted child has to be a permanent resident. Does that mean green card? It is quite
important to us, as INS dropped the ball on our boy's AOS. He wasn't assigned a
proper number, got a fingerprint letter for a 4 year old, and they claim to have sent
him an AOS letter which we never received, but which they said wouldn't have been
approved anyway, since the K1 has to be approved first.( But they went ahead and
closed his file ) They said they would send out another appointment letter, but my
confidence level is really low now. Anyway, I would just as soon do the adoption now
if I wouldn't have to worry about the INS for his approval. Please help, and may God
comfort those just starting this process. K&J

Old Jan 14th 2002, 1:00 am
Andy Platt

Yes, it means a greencard (or the I-551 stamp). There are different rules for
orphans.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
children
    >
    >
that
    >
    >
letter
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
worry
    >
    >

Old Jan 14th 2002, 4:01 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If you have all your submitted documentation and receipts for your son, contact your congressional representative and have them intervene on your son's behalf with INS. There is no cost to you to do this and perhaps the only recourse you have to straighten out the INS mess.

Rete