Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1'ers - Weddings at a Distance?!

K1'ers - Weddings at a Distance?!

Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1'ers - Weddings at a Distance?!

I bought my wedding dress on Ebay for $200. For $50 more, I chose to have them tailor it exactly to my measurements since I'm probably more curvier (read lumpy!) than your average curvy gal. Being pretty skeptical, I ordered it six months prior to my wedding date just to see how it turned out. I got it within the 30 days promised and it fit absolutely perfectly.

Another option is to choose a "Bridesmaid" dress in the color white (or off white/ivory) from David's Bridal. My gf has ordered two formal dresses from there for dress up occasions.

Good luck and let us know what you choose/decide!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

We had a small church wedding, family and a small handful of friends. I organised the entire wedding from the UK.

The dress I got from davids bridal, I went over to the US, I picked the dress I wanted they pinned it and such to make it fit nicely. I never had a second fitting or any of that, instead I told them, Id make sure I dont put on or loose any weight and if I do its my fault! They were really nice and said If im coming back over a week or so before the wedding they could squeeze in a late night appointment to make sure it fits ok.

Tux we got at last minute, 2 weeks before the wedding, not ideal but we used a local shop, fairly cheap. Davids Bridal has a mens section (probably at a different location though) called The Mens Warehouse. They have tux to rent and buy. might be worth looking into.

Venue my USC fiancee went looking at venues taking photos, finding out requirments and prices and sent them all to me in an email. I picked a baptist church, a small quaint looking one. The pastor was friendly, the situation was explained to him and instead of meeting him face to face we did 3 way calls, (my, hubby and pastor). I met the pastor about 3 days before the wedding.

Reception, we booked Knights Of Columbus hall for rental. they do pretty good deals on the bar and hall rental. Hubby did all this they didnt need to talk to me about it, I was happy with the choice.

Flowers and DJ, luckily the flourist was also our DJ so that solved one problem, but again we went with what was local as it was cheaper. Flourist wise, she emailed my pictures of the flowers, I picked the size and types I wanted and told her what flowers and what colours. I saw them on the wedding day. Was very happy! Dj wise she told me what they did and we took out things i didnt want (bubble machine wasnt allowed at the venue) and put the price down. She was fanstic DJ.

We ordered our cake from walmart about 2 weeks before the wedding.

Most of it can be organised from the UK, a lot of emails, phone calls and picture sending can sort out venues, cakes, flowers and such.

The dress is a bit harder, if your gonna get to go visit between now and your wedding then you can probably get your dress sorted while over there but probably wont be able to do a second fitting.

If not then you need to get a dress from the UK.

If your gonna be over there a few weeks before the wedding, cakes and flowers may even be better to sort out then. Also you might get your second fitting squeezed in if you explain the situation to wherever you get the dress from.

Good luck!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TracyTN
I don't know how 'curvy' you're talking, but I'm certainly no stick figure either...
I just want to say that I'm really enjoying this thread. Perhaps y'all should just post photos and we can all get a better idea of just how delightful all these curvy curves are!

Ian
Old Jan 25th 2010, 2:51 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I just want to say that I'm really enjoying this thread. Perhaps y'all should just post photos and we can all get a better idea of just how delightful all these curvy curves are!

Ian
I was just thinking it's past time for another wedding pics thread..

Ian, you go first... your dress was nice!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna

Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Now that I'd love to see!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:16 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Ian you're a trip!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:00 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Well, since you ask so nicely...

Ian
Attached Thumbnails K1'ers - Weddings at a Distance?!-ian-sheila.jpg  
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Very handsome sir, so big question of course. Did you go commando!?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
Very handsome sir, so big question of course. Did you go commando!?
He does have the legs for it!

How do you post a picture? I want to show you my cake Mandy I don't do 'NORMAL!'
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by traceym
How do you post a picture?
Click on the little "paper clip" icon when you make a post.

Ian
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

is it there? I think so, anyway the conversation went.............
Me 'I hate wedding cake'
DH 'Yes because everyone sits about at a wedding saying yipeeeee I cant wait for my slab of hideous fruit cake don't they!"

So I had a little think and designed this............

Top Silver engraved my last Rolo (For anyone old enough to remember the ad!)
Next, Cherry Lips
Then, White and milk Buttons
Then, Revels
Then, Swizzlers, lollies, Haroibo, sherbet, etc.

There you go Mandy the dress wont matter with all those sweeties!
Attached Thumbnails K1'ers - Weddings at a Distance?!-dsc02562.jpg  
Old Jan 26th 2010, 4:49 am
Account Closed

So I had a little think and designed this...
Brilliant!

Ian
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:35 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

DH 'Yes because everyone sits about at a wedding saying yipeeeee I cant wait for my slab of hideous fruit cake don't they!"
My new reality show fascination is "Cake Boss" (partly because my Greek boss clearly modeled himself on the Hoboken-ites & it's hilarious to watch) but my DH is still not used to the idea that wedding cakes in the US are different than the UK.
(they are NOT fruitcake here!)

Funny the things people won't let go of... I love that you broke with tradition tracey, and went with what you really wanted to have!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:38 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The UK serves fruit cake at weddings? That's served at Christmas time here...and it's horrible. LOL

What a neat "cake", tracey! Did guests just come along and help themselves to whatever sweet they wanted?

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.