Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1'ers - Weddings at a Distance?!

K1'ers - Weddings at a Distance?!

Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute
Default K1'ers - Weddings at a Distance?!

OK so I'm probably a fair bit more mature than some of you, and given our (mine & M's) ages, and the fact that I've done it all before, I might not want the big day that some do.

However I do want what I described to M. as a small but perfectly formed wedding. Intial thoughts are to book one of the nicer hotel's in Vegas (maybe Bellagio/Venetian/Wynn) for a package. Mainly because we can drive there and have it mostly planned before hand by someone else, no stress, no worries, good weekend away.

However, I've been deliberating about a dress - now having found a few that I like, I was wondering how do other brides to be manage it? There are pretty long lead in times so do you find something here (which appears to be unlikely unless you are planning way ahead given aforementioned lead in times), or do you take your chances Stateside? Part of the issue seems to be that I'm not your svelte (dodgy spelling?) younger bride - I am a mature women with curves, lots of curves (most of them where they are supposed to be lol!) so unlikely to get something just off the shelf. I'll be in LA county so does anyone know if they have a better choice of gowns, selection of sizes, would I be better just getting something made when I get there etc. etc.

I'm just rambling, but at a bit of a loss to know what might be the best route!?
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1'ers - Weddings at a Distance?!

Awwwwwwwwwww Mandy, follow your heart?

Little tip, google wedding dresses, I was astounded at whats out there and what you can buy on line for a fraction of the price!

Happy looking, how exciting!

We want pics!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help you with this one, Sadegh and I decided to get married the same day we applied for the marriage license. We had just enough time to rush home and get the money to pay the JP. When we stood to take our vows, he was wearing a red Nike T-shirt and jeans, and I was wearing brown slacks and some kind of blouse. My best friend was wearing workout clothes (she could just barely make it last minute on her way to go see massage clients). My sister and her husband were the best dressed of all of us, wearing business casual, having just come from work. LOL

Before Sadegh got here, I shopped at Dave's Bridal, but after trying on about 6 gowns, I decided they just aren't for me.

Rene
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:39 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
Little tip, google wedding dresses, I was astounded at whats out there and what you can buy on line for a fraction of the price!
+1 on this. M got a vintage 1930s bias-cut silk wedding dress on eBay for $65.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
Awwwwwwwwwww Mandy, follow your heart?

Happy looking, how exciting!

We want pics!
Oh gawd I've googled and looked but I have expensive tastes and it's not everything that suits some old, small and curvy. I'd go Rene's route but M. hasn't been married before and is a bit more comformist than me so I suspect if I turned up in red he'd be a little disappointed.

I did suggest a drive through and he was a No No on that lol. So although it will be organised quickly and won't be huge, like I say I think we're aiming for small but elegant.

I sent M. pics of about 20 dresses (just to get an idea of there was anything he particular hated!). Funny thing is he picked my top two. Maybe I'll just end up taking the pics to a dressmaker/tailor in LA and get it made to fit all me lumps and bumps lol.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Defo do some searching online. Take your measurements (chest/hips/waist) and see if you can find sizes that will fit. If you want to shop at a bridal store here in the US, you'll find the same probs with leadtimes. They usually only carry so many sizes in the store and then you have to wait for it to come in, and then you have to go through the drama of getting it taken it in all the right places. You could easily be looking at 6-8weeks.

That being said, you can usually find some nice dresses (not necessarily white) at quite a few dept. stores, which you could then take to your own tailor..and it may be quicker than a bridal store. If you think you'll be shopping around the March/April time-frame, that is prime Prom dress season and you'll find tons of formals on the racks then. Obviously they may not all be to your taste though, given you're not a teenager anymore!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

I suspect given I need to sell the house, it could be more like June/July time for a wedding.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Obviously they may not all be to your taste though, given you're not a teenager anymore!
Hey now, reign in that sassyassedness , I may be an old tart but I want to look nice lol!!!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
I suspect given I need to sell the house, it could be more like June/July time for a wedding.
If you've got more time in the UK than the 90 days before the wedding in the US, would it make more sense to have it sorted in the UK and take it with you? That way, you'd have the outfit with you - one less thing to sort out in a finite space of time.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:06 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

I don't know how 'curvy' you're talking, but I'm certainly no stick figure either and I didn't have trouble finding dresses to try on at David's Bridal and the like.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hey now, reign in that sassyassedness , I may be an old tart but I want to look nice lol!!!
Now, now! Don't take it like that. I'm just thinking you may want to look classy and elegant on your wedding day, and not have all your 'stuff' hanging out, as is the trend with teens - I wouldn't exactly classify Prom dresses as 'nice' per se (but they sure are pricey!). But, hey, if your taste goes to showing all your 'stuff', then by all means those Prom dresses may suit you!

Tbh, if you're looking for nice, but don't want to wait 2months for it or break the bank, there are usually a lot of nice formal dresses available off the rack in a lot of dept. stores here. Wish I could offer more advice. Since I'm the USC, I didn't have to worry about what country to buy a dress in.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Nordstroms has really nice formal wear.

Rene
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rebs
If you've got more time in the UK than the 90 days before the wedding in the US, would it make more sense to have it sorted in the UK and take it with you? That way, you'd have the outfit with you - one less thing to sort out in a finite space of time.

Yep agree, but they are talking 6 months to sort something out. I def. won't be here in six months.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Now, now! Don't take it like that. I'm just thinking you may want to look classy and elegant on your wedding day, and not have all your 'stuff' hanging out, as is the trend with teens - I wouldn't exactly classify Prom dresses as 'nice' per se (but they sure are pricey!). But, hey, if your taste goes to showing all your 'stuff', then by all means those Prom dresses may suit you!

Tbh, if you're looking for nice, but don't want to wait 2months for it or break the bank, there are usually a lot of nice formal dresses available off the rack in a lot of dept. stores here. Wish I could offer more advice. Since I'm the USC, I didn't have to worry about what country to buy a dress in.
LOL well if I'm going to show my stuff then I might as well do a Pamela Anderson!

I guess it is probably going to be easier and more realistic to wait until I get to the US.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Yep agree, but they are talking 6 months to sort something out. I def. won't be here in six months.
June/July is not that far off 6 months if you get your skates on and get something ordered soon...

I guess it is probably going to be easier and more realistic to wait until I get to the US.
What if you get here, then find out it will take 6 months to get what you want

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.