Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

k1- what to send to london what to keep for interview

k1- what to send to london what to keep for interview

Old Jul 15th 2012, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

ukbiker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default k1- what to send to london what to keep for interview

HI all i have my medical on tuesday 15th july , and im sendng off my forms london told me to down load ie ds-156 etc etc , question is im v confused tha some peeps says dont sign some forms or send them to embassy ?? can anyone help me out big time as i want to send stuff out asap. so need ro knw what gets sent to london and signed and what i DONT send and take with me instead .
huge thanks in advance folks

Ben
Old Jul 15th 2012, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: k1- what to send to london what to keep for interview

Originally Posted by ukbiker
HI all i have my medical on tuesday 15th july , and im sendng off my forms london told me to down load ie ds-156 etc etc , question is im v confused tha some peeps says dont sign some forms or send them to embassy ?? can anyone help me out big time as i want to send stuff out asap. so need ro knw what gets sent to london and signed and what i DONT send and take with me instead .

Ben
This page on the US embassy in London website appears to tell you which documents are required when.

The forms themselves will tell you whether to sign or not. For instance, I know the DS-230 Part II tells you not to sign, but to take the form with you to the interview and sign it there.

James
Old Jul 15th 2012, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

many thanks for reply .but i dont actually do the ds 230 part 2 only part one according to their website .but i do knw a few people have said do not sign some of the forms despite what it says on the actual forms themselves . jst cant remember which ones lol .

thanks again

Ben
Old Jul 15th 2012, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

also while im here when do i pay for the visa (k1) . do i pay now before medical or can i do it in between medical and my interview?

thanks

Ben
Old Jul 15th 2012, 4:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

also while im here when do i pay for the visa (k1) . do i pay now before medical or can i do it in between medical and my interview?

thanks

Ben
I believe you can do it anytime before the visa interview.

Rene
Old Jul 15th 2012, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

thanks rene , i will pay on wed as i got medical this coming tuesday.

thanks again

Ben
Old Jul 15th 2012, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Ben
Ben, Ben, Ben....read your instructions from London carefully. ::shaking my Mum finger at you::

Your instructions http://london.usembassy.gov/iv_15.html
Forms--Step One

Complete the Form DS-230-Part 1, Form DS-156 and DS-157 for each family member applying for a visa. In addition, the principal applicant is also required to complete form DS-156K. Note: Forms DS-156 and DS-157 must be completed in duplicate. If a question does not apply to you, please mark it with a N/A. The completed form(s) should be mailed to the Immigrant Visa Unit. See "Contact and Mailing Address" on the right-hand side of the page. Note: The failure to return the forms promptly will delay the processing of your application.
Note: that paragraph names the forms to be mailed.

Note: Look at the form to know if it needs signing. READ the form.
  • One doesn't have a place to sign so duh, don't sign it.
  • One has an oath at the bottom where your signature will be witnesses by an officer who swore you in. Hint: it says "DO NOT WRITE BELOW THIS LINE. The consular officer will assist you in answering this part. " The signature place is below the line so don't write below the line so the officer can watch you sign the oath in person.
Step Two

Assemble all of the documents required in support of your application. When you have obtained all of the required documents and are prepared for the visa interview, you are required to complete the Notification of Applicant(s) Readiness, Form 2001 and mail it to the Immigrant Visa Unit together with a covering letter containing your email address, if applicable, date of your wedding and date of the medical examination. See "Contact and Mailing Address" on the right-hand side of the page. Note: The failure to return the forms promptly will delay the processing of your application.
Note: the part in blue is a link on the web page to the list of documents to bring to the interview. Click their link. Use the list they nicely provide for you.

Also found on the K1 page
What Happens Next?

On receipt of the Forms DS-230-I, DS-156, DS-157 and form DS-2001, (another place they list what is mailed) the Immigrant Visa Unit will complete all necesary administrative processing of your visa application. You will be required to provide additional information if you have incomplete or missing forms and will be contacted in writing if that is the case.

Approximately one month before your scheduled interview appointment with a consular officer, you will receive an appointment letter containing the date and time of your visa interview.

On the day of the visa interview, you will be required to bring all of your original documents, or certified copies, plus one photocopy to the visa interview. (your personal documents found in the list linked from Step Two) Click on "The Interview" and "Visa Fees"on the left-hand Navigation bar for further information.
Visa fees http://london.usembassy.gov/immigran.../iv_fees.htmlw
K Visa Applicants pay the fee to the Operator Assisted Information Service prior to attending the visa interview. Instructions concerning payment will be sent to you with the appointment letter.
Note: That paragraph tells you you can pay anytime before the interview. It doesn't say you won't get an interview until you pay.

Last edited by Moxie; Jul 15th 2012 at 8:08 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 10:08 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

But Moxie, why bother to sort through all that when one can get a kind-hearted soul here at BE to digest it for them and then spoonfeed it to them?

Regards, JEff

[Edited to incorporate Ian's excellent modification.]

Originally Posted by Moxie
Ben, Ben, Ben....read your instructions from London carefully. ::shaking my Mum finger at you::

Your instructions http://london.usembassy.gov/iv_15.html

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Jul 15th 2012 at 10:21 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
But Moxie, why bother to sort through all that when one can get a kind-hearted soul here at BE to spoonfeed it to them?
I fixed it for you.

Ian
Old Jul 16th 2012, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

thanks for replys but not lookin to be spoonfed lol ive had conflicting advice on some parts and just wanted to be clear that im doin the right thing and must say tho not all is that clear on the embassy site on some parts. . But must say am v grateful for all the help .
Cheers

B
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
But Moxie, why bother to sort through all that when one can get a kind-hearted soul here at BE to digest it for them and then spoonfeed it to them?

Regards, JEff

[Edited to incorporate Ian's excellent modification.]
Yes I am a kind-hearted soul who only wants to help, unlike others on here who seem to want to put on a show of superiority by correcting grammar, finding fault, being cheeky, or getting in the last word. I'm a teacher by profession...certified in special education. I try to teach where to find information and how to sort through it. Can't help it; it's wired into me. Ben is a nice chap who seems sincere in his effort to learn and always says thank you. I like him. I want him to succeed.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Thanks moxie much welcomed comments . as ive said sometimes some just some of the instructions arnt always so clear on embassy site and paperwork ,tho its not through lack of will lol .

thanks again , i will be updating a new thread today with more news woo hoo

Ben