Tax Filing Question

Old Nov 1st 2004, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

melody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nice
Question Tax Filing Question

Would someone please tell me where to look in order to learn how I will be filing my taxes now that I am married to my k-1'er husband? I can guess that my 1040EZ days are gone. I really appreciate the help.

Melody
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 12:00 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Filing Question

Originally Posted by melody32
Would someone please tell me where to look in order to learn how I will be filing my taxes now that I am married to my k-1'er husband?
My dear wife, who helped me file taxes the first year we were married after I arrived as a K-1, says that everything is available at www.irs.gov. I would not presume to disagree with her!

Ian
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 12:17 am
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Would someone please tell me where to look in order to learn how I will be filing my taxes now that I am married to my k-1'er husband? I can guess that my 1040EZ days are gone. I really appreciate the help.

Melody
How about just file using TurboTax, nice and simple.

Marnee
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 3:21 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Melody
Hi Melody,

Your question seems to be interpretable 2 ways - how meaning whether to file jointly or not...or how meaning by what method. I'll answer both from my own perspective. My K1 fiance arrived in the USA and we got married in April 2004.

I have a tax accountant that I have used for years. I gather all my stuff up, go into his office, plunk it down on his desk and answer any questions he has. That beats trying to do my own taxes! I'm especially grateful this year, as a LOT has happened that will somehow affect taxes.

We're going to file "married filing jointly". I have my regular income from all year, plus now we're going to have several months of his income. We have more deductions since he had major dental work done. Also, he is self-employed so he'll be doing a Schedule C (I think that's what it is) and having business deductions of his own.

I'm no tax expert by any means (thus hiring an accountant! lol) and it will be very interesting to see how our taxes turn out this year. After we got married, I changed my withholding to married status, but not withholding at a higher single rate. We shall see how it all turns out.

Hope my rambling helped you somewhat!

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 1:03 pm
Capt. Tuttle

USA & Pakistan wrote:

>>Would someone please tell me where to look in order to learn how I
    >>will be filing my taxes now that I am married to my k-1'er husband? I
    >>can guess that my 1040EZ days are gone. I really appreciate the help.
    >>Melody
    >>
    >How about just file using TurboTax, nice and simple.
    >:)Marnee
    >

Marnee (or anyone else),
Have you already used Turbo Tax in this situation? I have used it for
years (remember DOS and 3.5 floppies?). This will be my first year with
my K-1 wife and wondered if it would do as well this year. She hasn't
worked yet BTW. So the only income is mine. She might have a little
interest from her account though.
While I have your attention I want to also ask about bank accounts in
the foreign country. If there is less than $10,000 I don't think it
counts, but I'm not sure. The IRS site and instructions are a little
fuzzy on where and what to claim on foreign accounts. Or, maybe I'm just
too confused about federal taxes. That is why I use Turbo Tax! :)

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 2:11 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Capt. Tuttle
USA & Pakistan wrote:

>>Would someone please tell me where to look in order to learn how I
    >>will be filing my taxes now that I am married to my k-1'er husband? I
    >>can guess that my 1040EZ days are gone. I really appreciate the help.
    >>Melody
    >>
    >How about just file using TurboTax, nice and simple.
    >Marnee
    >

Marnee (or anyone else),
Have you already used Turbo Tax in this situation? I have used it for
years (remember DOS and 3.5 floppies?). This will be my first year with
my K-1 wife and wondered if it would do as well this year. She hasn't
worked yet BTW. So the only income is mine. She might have a little
interest from her account though.
While I have your attention I want to also ask about bank accounts in
the foreign country. If there is less than $10,000 I don't think it
counts, but I'm not sure. The IRS site and instructions are a little
fuzzy on where and what to claim on foreign accounts. Or, maybe I'm just
too confused about federal taxes. That is why I use Turbo Tax!
Hi:

DOS? How about CP/M? And were your floppies 8" or 5 1/4"? Double sided or single sided?

BTW, I know the professional tax software often used by CPA's has a hole for foreign owned coporations -- it makes no difference in the taxes paid, so MY CPA mentioned it a "no harm, no foul" type of bug if she should miss it. But it CAN have immigration consequences -- especially since prior years information carries over to the next year. I've run into this on the employment end of the house and it is a common error that CIS just loves to note as a "discrepancy".
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

melody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nice

Thank you for the very helpful suggestions

Ian-mstm>I went to the irs website and read a few forms to get a general idea of what may be happening this year.

USA & Pakistan>Last year I used H & R Block's version of TurboTax

Noorah101>I was thinking of using a real life person from H & R Block this year and let them sort out this year's taxes. We're planning on submitting the AOS/EAD/AP package in the following days so I doubt my husband will be able to earn any wages for 2004. For this reason, I changed my w-4 to be married @ single rate with 0 allowances. I was already at S & 0. Hopefully this will be enough to keep me from owing money at the end of the year.

Melody
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of using a real life person from H & R Block this year and let them sort out this year's taxes.
We tried H&R Block that first year, but the 3 people we eventually talked to had no knowledge of the Canada/USA Tax Treaty nor how to calculate world inicome and later deduct it. We did it on our own - one step at a time. Good luck.

Ian
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 5:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
We tried H&R Block that first year, but the 3 people we eventually talked to had no knowledge of the Canada/USA Tax Treaty nor how to calculate world inicome and later deduct it. We did it on our own - one step at a time. Good luck.

Ian
I used H&R Block the first time I filed taxes as a single woman years ago. I didn't care for it....can't explain exactly why, but I felt I didn't get the service I should have regarding my own individual needs. The following year, I used the tax man that my dad was using, and I've been back to him for the past 15 or so years. He definitely knows the ins and outs of my life, and it's worked out great! I prefer the one-on-one contact with a professional that knows my tax history.

Rene
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 5:39 pm
Capt. Tuttle

Folinskyinla wrote:

>>USA & Pakistan wrote:
    >>
    >>>>Would someone please tell me where to look in order to learn how I
    >>>>will be filing my taxes now that I am married to my k-1'er husband?
    >>>>I
    >>>>can guess that my 1040EZ days are gone. I really appreciate the
    >>>>help.
    >>>>Melody
    >>>>
    >>>How about just file using TurboTax, nice and simple.
    >>>:)Marnee
    >>>
    >>Marnee (or anyone else),
    >>Have you already used Turbo Tax in this situation? I have used it for
    >>years (remember DOS and 3.5 floppies?). This will be my first year
    >>with
    >>my K-1 wife and wondered if it would do as well this year. She hasn't
    >>worked yet BTW. So the only income is mine. She might have a little
    >>interest from her account though.
    >>While I have your attention I want to also ask about bank accounts in
    >>the foreign country. If there is less than $10,000 I don't think it
    >>counts, but I'm not sure. The IRS site and instructions are a little
    >>fuzzy on where and what to claim on foreign accounts. Or, maybe I'm
    >>just
    >>too confused about federal taxes. That is why I use Turbo Tax! :)
    >>
    >Hi:
    >DOS? How about CP/M? And were your floppies 8" or 5 1/4"? Double
    >sided or single sided?
    >BTW, I know the professional tax software often used by CPA's has a hole
    >for foreign owned coporations -- it makes no difference in the taxes
    >paid, so MY CPA mentioned it a "no harm, no foul" type of bug if she
    >should miss it. But it CAN have immigration consequences -- especially
    >since prior years information carries over to the next year. I've run
    >into this on the employment end of the house and it is a common error
    >that CIS just loves to note as a "discrepancy".
    >

Good grief, Mr. F!!
CP/M, 8" floppies, single sided!! What memories you just brought back
(and not all of them were good) :)
Thanks for your comment. I'll probably do what I usually do. I'll use
Turbo Tax and then go over everything it does to find any "discrepancy".