K1 vs K3 ?

Old Feb 13th 2021, 5:53 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 vs K3 ?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
In this case, you will definitely want to do the CR-1 spouse visa, as that will allow you to work in the USA from Day 1.

You will need to prove your personal income (as opposed to the total business income), and prove the income will continue from the same source once inside the USA. But that step comes after the I-130 gets approved, so you're a long ways from that yet.

Rene
Also as far as I understand it once you are married your assets count towards the financial side of things, not just those of the sponsoring US citizen.
Old Feb 13th 2021, 6:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Also as far as I understand it once you are married your assets count towards the financial side of things, not just those of the sponsoring US citizen.
That is very true. I recall one recent case where this was not honored by the US Embassy in London. Don't have a followup on this from that poster.

Old Feb 13th 2021, 7:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Yes, that's true. Cash in the bank works best as an asset, although there are other types of assets.

Rene
Old Feb 14th 2021, 6:08 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrissy12
Hello All,

My question is about choosing one visa over another. The lady I will marry is in the USA and I am in the UK.

I have read about K1 applications (and seen the costs involved) and have little faith in them.

We are ready to get married and would if we could. It seems however that the act of marriage isn't always the best solution.
Some people argue that it's best to file a K1 and then wait to marry.

I personally would prefer to marry in Europe or America and then file a K3. My girlfriend argues that this comes with many extra problems and more money spent.

Has anyone here heard about any factual advantages of a K1 over a K3?

Thanks !
Hi;
There is a tendency in this forum for a species of groupthink to coalesce into current conventional wisdom. Also, there is a definite prejudice in favor of DIY and avoiding attorneys. In reading this thread, I think that you and your beloved may not be well served by conventional wisdom in your particular case. (I admit that this is partially subjective, but it is based upon your own posts). Conventional wisdom changes over time and is sometimes not the best in a particular case.

Consultation with experienced immigration counsel appears to me might be in order. (BTW, I have never taken cases from this forum and I am retired. So I have no skin in the game).

Good luck.
Old Feb 14th 2021, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is not something I am expecting an answer to, I did a K1 which was a mistake, and at a time that you could get AP and EAD in a relatively short time.

Now people are looking at 6 to 8 months after filing to adjust, well nobody knows exactly, but reasonably safe to assume it will not be quick.

I realise there are certain unusual circumstances where a K1 is a better bet, no suggestion that they apply here.

So come as a spouse, come as a fiancee, come through work or investment.