K1 vs DCF dilemma

Old Nov 3rd 2002, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

kdimov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 vs DCF dilemma

I was going to file the I-129F petition for K1 visa to NSC, once I had my US citizenship. I already passed the citizenship interview in Seattle on 08/10, and was expecting the same day swearing ceremony,since Seattle used to be one of the few local INS officess that did that on the same day, but was told that they had to run the papers trough some more security checks. Like they did not have almost an year to do that. Hopefully I'll have the citizenship till the end of November. I was concentrated just on the fiance visa knowing that the I-130 petition filed from the US is much slower. But here comes Nebraska. Four months wait at best currently for the I-129F. Surfing the NG the other night I found that the US Consulate in Sofia, Bulgaria accepts DCF for I-130 petitions. I instantly changed my focus from the I-129F to the I-130 via DCF. The k1 visa faq web site says it usually takes 2 months or less from the DCF interview to the final immigrant visa interview. So I am thinking to go to Bulgaria in January, marry my fiancee, and file I-130 at the Sofia Consular Office. Has anyone done the DCF lately?
Old Nov 4th 2002, 8:04 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 vs DCF dilemma

Originally posted by kdimov
I was going to file the I-129F petition for K1 visa to NSC, once I had my US citizenship. I already passed the citizenship interview in Seattle on 08/10, and was expecting the same day swearing ceremony,since Seattle used to be one of the few local INS officess that did that on the same day, but was told that they had to run the papers trough some more security checks. Like they did not have almost an year to do that. Hopefully I'll have the citizenship till the end of November. I was concentrated just on the fiance visa knowing that the I-130 petition filed from the US is much slower. But here comes Nebraska. Four months wait at best currently for the I-129F. Surfing the NG the other night I found that the US Consulate in Sofia, Bulgaria accepts DCF for I-130 petitions. I instantly changed my focus from the I-129F to the I-130 via DCF. The k1 visa faq web site says it usually takes 2 months or less from the DCF interview to the final immigrant visa interview. So I am thinking to go to Bulgaria in January, marry my fiancee, and file I-130 at the Sofia Consular Office. Has anyone done the DCF lately?
kdimov , you are onto a very good idea. I completed DCF with my foreign husband this summer. You can search my name to find details of our process, which took 33 days from initial filing to visa in hand.

The Doc Steen site http://k1.exit.com/dcf.html was very helpful to us as a guideline for what to prepare/expect.

Form that site I quickly looked at the Bulgarian Consulate's site http://www.usembassy.bg/visa/immigrant.html

They provide a clear overview of what you'll need to do, including intrustions for marrying in Bulgaria.

My suggestion for you and your fiance is to begin preparing your documents *now*. You and your intended will require papers which might take awhile to get. You'll want to have all these things with you when you go to Bulgaria.

And, you do not have to remain there after getting married and filing the I-130 petition. The Consul's website even reminds you that you won't have to be there for the final interview.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage and happy future. You are one of the lucky few that can take advantage of DCF and I highly recommend it to you!

NB: All of the above assumes no criminal or medical complications.
Old Nov 4th 2002, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

jcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant future
Default Re: K1 vs DCF dilemma

I just wanted to say that our DCF in South Africa went very well (33 days), do it if you can...As for advice, meauxna has pretty much given you the lowdown....Good Luck......