Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 visa - working as a self-employed contractor for a UK company

K1 visa - working as a self-employed contractor for a UK company

Old Sep 28th 2018, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

tdemps is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 visa - working as a self-employed contractor for a UK company

Hi, I hope I've posted this in the correct place. Before I dive in and get professional advice, I wanted to get some initial thoughts here.

My situation is as follows. I have my K1 visa interview at the end of October. I plan to enter the US before Christmas (probably early December) and marry my fiancee. After that, I plan to file for Adjustment of Status, settle in the US permanently, etc.

I have been offered a job by a UK-based company. It is a remote position. They are aware of my circumstances and have informed me my employment status would be as a self-employed contractor and it would be my responsibility to submit my own taxes. I believe there is no issue with working in the US on a K1 visa for 90 days, and no further issues with working for an overseas organisation whilst I am waiting for the AoS to process.

(Please let me know if any of what I've said so far is incorrect...!)

I'm just trying to get my head around what I'll need to do in relation to tax filing. If I start my new role in early November, and enter the US in early December, will I need to register as self-employed in the UK? When will I be able to register as self-employed in the US - I assume I wouldn't be able to until my AoS is processed? What should I do about my taxes in this scenario?

Thanks in advance for any help you're able to offer.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 3:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 visa - working as a self-employed contractor for a UK company

Actually, there is an issue with working while you are awaiting AOS if you don't have the employment authorization document/card in hand. The EAD is taking 3 to 6 months to be received after applying for AOS. So you will have a gap in which you will not be able to work. BTW I believe that once you marry, the K-1 90 day allowed to work period ends.

Ask your tax questions for the US in the USA general forum.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

I think technically, given there is not enough of 2018 in your scenario for you to become a formal tax resident, it shouldn't matter to the US, so just deal with your UK taxes. Once 2019 rolls around, you'll be in the US for more than half of the year, so you'll need to start treating your income for US tax immediately. You might want to review this with a CPA as there are some tax treaties between the UK and USA which largely mean you would not need to pay tax in both countries, but working for yourself is a more complicated case.

The problem you actually have is whether you're allowed to work on a K-1. Granted, it would not be for a US company, but I still believe you would need your Employment Authorization Document (commonly referred to as an EAD) before you're allowed to do any activity which results in remuneration in the US, even if you're not being paid in the US by a US organization.

The even bigger problem, is that there is a long, long lead time on EADs right now, which would very likely exceed the 90 day K-1 visa.

This is all as if you are strictly obeying the law. The practical possibility of being caught working for a UK company in that period of time, presumably from home, is going to be very low. Admittedly, almost no-one on this forum would advocate taking the risk for the sake of a few months of work, as the penalties are so severe. Myself included.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 3:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You are allowed to work on the K-1 for the 90 days of the validity of the visa. However, once married the visa is no longer valid and the right to work is then non-existent. You don't need the actual EAD during that time period. It is the inherent right to work and has been such for over the 21 years I have been involved. His problem is that he cannot work once he is married and until the EAD is received that he applies for them he files for adjustment of status. One poster yesterday said he got his EAD in 60 days recently which is a vast improvement but there are still people waiting on theirs for over 5 months.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 3:55 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

A CR-1 visa would have eliminated all this. It pays to fully research the options before throwing money at the government for filing fees.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 4:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe he can work for the UK company during the first 90 days in the USA, whether married or not. After that he'll need an EAD, but since the company is in the UK, they aren't going to need an I-9, and unauthorized work is routinely forgiven by USCIS (at least it used to be).

Rene
Old Sep 28th 2018, 4:23 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Unauthorized work by spouses of USCs is still “forgiven”. Doesn’t mean the same as “you can come here and work illegally”. Especially as there is an alternative way into the country for spouses that permits them to work immediately. Their choice to do a K-1, though.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 5:48 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Unauthorized work by spouses of USCs is still “forgiven”. Doesn’t mean the same as “you can come here and work illegally”. Especially as there is an alternative way into the country for spouses that permits them to work immediately. Their choice to do a K-1, though.
The CR-1 tops the popularity list the last few years. Until recently, that was not the case and for decades it was the K-1 fiancée visa. There are good reasons why some people wish to use this visa even though they come from a country where a CR-1 timeline is not far off from the K-1. Some are young and want to have the big wedding and don't want to sneak a small ceremony and then go for the big one later on. Another reason, is that this particular visa was recommended to them when researching or talking with an immigration attorney. Some do not want to marry and spend time apart and don't have the financial means to hop back and forth for visits. Vacation time is scarce in the US and in the UK, it might all be financial reasons.

Rene is not advocating that he work illegally but pointing out that the USCIS does not particularly care if you have worked without authorization. For every pro there is a con. Pointing it out does not mean you should do it. I know a few Canadian who crossed the border, married a USC, and remained and filed successfully for AOS. Just because I wrote it here, does mean I am telling someone to do it.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your responses.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I believe he can work for the UK company during the first 90 days in the USA, whether married or not. After that he'll need an EAD, but since the company is in the UK, they aren't going to need an I-9, and unauthorized work is routinely forgiven by USCIS (at least it used to be).

Rene
This is the crux of the matter for me. I suppose the biggest problem I am likely to face is at my AoS interview, if I'm asked about my income from the time I arrived in the United States. From everything I've read, nobody at an AoS interview after arriving on a K1 visa has had their AoS denied as a result of working without authorization. The general feeling seems to be that some lawyers will advise against it and it is a clear risk, but there is no first-hand account of this being an issue that will affect AoS.

I don't suppose the fact that I would be working for an overseas company would have any bearing or impact on this (as I wouldn't be taking a US job from a US citizen)?
Old Sep 29th 2018, 1:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No impact.

Go ahead and work for the UK company for 90 days. If you don't have your EAD by then, take a break until you do. That's the safest, most legal way, if you are worried about it.

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2018, 1:51 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiversaint

This is all as if you are strictly obeying the law. The practical possibility of being caught working for a UK company in that period of time, presumably from home, is going to be very low. Admittedly, almost no-one on this forum would advocate taking the risk for the sake of a few months of work, as the penalties are so severe. Myself included.
However, if he is going to be receiving regular wires from the same company into his US bank account it is going to be pretty apparent that he is employed. Thus the necessity of staying on the right side of the IRS will preclude hiding that fact.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
However, if he is going to be receiving regular wires from the same company into his US bank account it is going to be pretty apparent that he is employed. Thus the necessity of staying on the right side of the IRS will preclude hiding that fact.
Yes. Even if my intention is to be paid into a UK bank account and transfer this into a US bank account (only as a stopgap, and not long-term) for living costs, I assume this is still going to raise the same questions at the AoS interview as there is going to be a trail of transactions.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 1:57 pm
Concierge

Your situation is why so many of our posters today opt to go the CR-1 route. The ability to work and earn money from the moment of entry into the US with a valid visa is a necessity that necessitates being away from your spouse for a year or more.
Old Oct 1st 2018, 5:13 am
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

I mean, if the money stays in your UK bank account it's unlikely to be noticeable. If you choose to work, either leave it in there for savings and get it at a later date, or use your UK debit card while out here.
Old Oct 1st 2018, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

In terms of the CR-1 vs. K-1, we did look at both options. The main issue we had with the CR-1 is the fact that after marrying, we'd need to be apart from a lengthy period of time, and we've already spent a lot of time going back and forth. There are obviously pros and cons for both options.

Originally Posted by michaelr711
I mean, if the money stays in your UK bank account it's unlikely to be noticeable. If you choose to work, either leave it in there for savings and get it at a later date, or use your UK debit card while out here.
For day-to-day costs, that's not a problem (I use Starling anyway which has zero fees). I'm just thinking in terms of rent payments or other larger living costs, but perhaps I could just transfer that to my partner and the payments can be in her name temporarily.

I'll ask my tax questions in the other forum as advised.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.