Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 visa success - London 9/9/02

K1 visa success - London 9/9/02

Old Sep 11th 2002, 7:10 pm
Targaff

Default K1 visa success - London 9/9/02

I had my interview in London on Monday, it went without a hitch. I think most of the
salient points as regards London have been posted here before and better by others,
but I'll give it a stab just for the sake of completeness.

I got up early (5.45) in order to get there nice and early; I was staying with a
friend, so figured that'd be plenty of time. In the event, I didn't get moving
anywhere until just before 7, and then had to detour to Euston to drop my luggage
off, whereupon the tube I was going to get through to Marble Arch via Warren Street
broke down in the station - auspicious start I got to Dr. Phelan's place at about
ten past eight, and everyone else had already gone in, so I just rang, went in and
was given the required stuff (you get a pink plastic folder, into which you put your
passport, vaccination info and the pre-completed medical health form). This was duly
returned to the front desk and I got called up about 45 minutes later, last of the
group (of course). It's a good job I was last, anyhow - I wouldn't have understood my
name from the speaker if I weren't.

Anyhow, so you pay your wonga, 125 quid, and they give you a green plastic folder
which you take downstairs and put in a holder on the wall on the left - it's easily
missed if you're not looking for it, so don't keep hold of your folder or you won't
get seen! After a bit I was called for the blood test, which they're *very* good at,
and then another 10 minutes later called through to have my chest x-ray. They give
you a cubicle to strip down to the waist, then do the x-ray, again very efficient,
and you're seen almost immediately by one of the doctors, who are quite chatty and
just did checks like take blood pressure, do the stethoscope thang on your chest,
etc. etc. I'd had all my injections so there were no problems, and I was told to take
my x-ray and go to the Embassy.

The usual English weather then proceeded to show its colours and it chucked it down
for the rest of the day. If you're going to London for an interview, remember to take
an umbrella, even in the middle of summer. Otherwise you'll adopt the drowned rat
look, like I did (something of an improvement!

The map shows that the entrance to the Embassy is around the back, on Upper Grosvenor
Street. Technically this is true, but for the moment at least the embassy is
surrounded by metal fencing and you actually go in at the corner of the building on
Upper Brook Street and then walk back around; this may be a temporary measure,
however. Remember to take your appointment letter with you, too - they have a list of
appointments and will ask to see it.

Security at the door is like an airport in miniature, then you go around the back of
the desk and up some stairs to the right, to a door that magically opens when you get
close, not that they're watching you at all... when you go through you report to desk
1 or 2 to let them know you're there, and then sit down. I had a 45 minute wait and I
was called back to desk 2 and they just asked for the documents one by one, and
copies; they're asked for in the order they're given in the list sent on the Packet
3, so just follow that and you'll be fine. Oh, and whatever any other document says,
take 4 identical ADIT photos, because that's what they really want even if they say
they require less.

I then sat down again to wait for my actual interview. The waiting area is really,
really dull - one of the other people there described it as a library without the
books, which is pretty accurate. After another wait of about 45 minutes, I was called
to desk 6, which is behind a semi- darkened screen, and this was the interview - do
the "I won't lie" thing and then you're asked some questions. For about a minute and
a half. Considering the amount of effort I'd put into preparing for this, I was
half-hoping to get a bit more of a return ;p But it was all very basic: when/where we
met, parents' full names, where she was born, etc. etc., and then I was told to come
back at 1. I didn't even have to present a single document in support of an extant
relationship! Which sucked, because I'd lugged the lot around with me all day ;p

Anyhow, I left and came back about 20 minutes later, because of the gorgeous
weather outside, and just waited an hour or so until they started giving out visas.
I was about 4th or 5th to be called up - the blokey gave me the brown envelope and
a medical form, plus another which is sure to be important but I forgot to note
what it was, then my passport with the visa. They go over the time limitations and
stuff, e.g. 6 months to enter, 90 days thereafter to marry, etc., and then you're
free to go.

That's basically it - 5 hours of mostly waiting in all. Incidentally, sorry to the
nice person who invited me to the pub for a pint, btw, but I'd promised the first
thing I'd do was ring my fiancee and tell her how it'd gone - hope you enjoyed your
drink And all the best.

--

Targaff

Old Sep 11th 2002, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsstrickland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K1 visa success - London 9/9/02

congratulations and thankyou for you experience of the london interview
Old Sep 11th 2002, 9:50 pm
David Thomas

Default Follow up Re: K1 visa success - London 9/9/02

Thanks for the information - it is very reasurring to read things go smoothly at the
actual interview day. - congratulations on your approval!

Can you let us know when you
1)sent off your packet
2)hear back from the embassy with an interview date
3)had your interview ( 9th september right)

I have just sent off my packet , and i have heard reports of 8-10 weeks - which
seems long - the dates would be gratefully received many thanks DT
ps. thanks for the warning about the adit photos - i will go and get another set done

"Targaff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > I had my interview in London on Monday, it went without a hitch. I think most of
    > the salient points as regards London have been posted here before and better by
    > others, but I'll give it a stab just for the sake of completeness.
    > I got up early (5.45) in order to get there nice and early; I was staying with a
    > friend, so figured that'd be plenty of time. In the event, I didn't get moving
    > anywhere until just before 7, and then had to detour to Euston to drop my luggage
    > off, whereupon the tube I was going to get through to Marble Arch via Warren Street
    > broke down in the station - auspicious start I got to Dr. Phelan's place at
    > about ten past eight, and everyone else had already gone in, so I just rang, went
    > in and was given the required stuff (you get a pink plastic folder, into which you
    > put your passport, vaccination info and the pre-completed medical health form).
    > This was duly returned to the front desk and I got called up about 45 minutes
    > later, last of the group (of course). It's a good job I was last, anyhow - I
    > wouldn't have understood my name from the speaker if I weren't.
    > Anyhow, so you pay your wonga, 125 quid, and they give you a green plastic folder
    > which you take downstairs and put in a holder on the wall on the left - it's easily
    > missed if you're not looking for it, so don't keep hold of your folder or you won't
    > get seen! After a bit I was called for the blood test, which they're *very* good
    > at, and then another 10 minutes later called through to have my chest x-ray. They
    > give you a cubicle to strip down to the waist, then do the x-ray, again very
    > efficient, and you're seen almost immediately by one of the doctors, who are quite
    > chatty and just did checks like take blood pressure, do the stethoscope thang on
    > your chest, etc. etc. I'd had all my injections so there were no problems, and I
    > was told to take my x-ray and go to the Embassy.
    > The usual English weather then proceeded to show its colours and it chucked it down
    > for the rest of the day. If you're going to London for an interview, remember to
    > take an umbrella, even in the middle of summer. Otherwise you'll adopt the drowned
    > rat look, like I did (something of an improvement!
    > The map shows that the entrance to the Embassy is around the back, on Upper
    > Grosvenor Street. Technically this is true, but for the moment at least the embassy
    > is surrounded by metal fencing and you actually go in at the corner of the building
    > on Upper Brook Street and then walk back around; this may be a temporary measure,
    > however. Remember to take your appointment letter with you, too - they have a list
    > of appointments and will ask to see it.
    > Security at the door is like an airport in miniature, then you go around the back
    > of the desk and up some stairs to the right, to a door that magically opens when
    > you get close, not that they're watching you at all... when you go through you
    > report to desk 1 or 2 to let them know you're there, and then sit down. I had a 45
    > minute wait and I was called back to desk 2 and they just asked for the documents
    > one by one, and copies; they're asked for in the order they're given in the list
    > sent on the Packet 3, so just follow that and you'll be fine. Oh, and whatever any
    > other document says, take 4 identical ADIT photos, because that's what they really
    > want even if they say they require less.
    > I then sat down again to wait for my actual interview. The waiting area is really,
    > really dull - one of the other people there described it as a library without the
    > books, which is pretty accurate. After another wait of about 45 minutes, I was
    > called to desk 6, which is behind a semi- darkened screen, and this was the
    > interview - do the "I won't lie" thing and then you're asked some questions. For
    > about a minute and a half. Considering the amount of effort I'd put into preparing
    > for this, I was half-hoping to get a bit more of a return ;p But it was all very
    > basic: when/where we met, parents' full names, where she was born, etc. etc., and
    > then I was told to come back at 1. I didn't even have to present a single document
    > in support of an extant relationship! Which sucked, because I'd lugged the lot
    > around with me all day ;p
    > Anyhow, I left and came back about 20 minutes later, because of the gorgeous
    > weather outside, and just waited an hour or so until they started giving out visas.
    > I was about 4th or 5th to be called up - the blokey gave me the brown envelope and
    > a medical form, plus another which is sure to be important but I forgot to note
    > what it was, then my passport with the visa. They go over the time limitations and
    > stuff, e.g. 6 months to enter, 90 days thereafter to marry, etc., and then you're
    > free to go.
    > That's basically it - 5 hours of mostly waiting in all. Incidentally, sorry to the
    > nice person who invited me to the pub for a pint, btw, but I'd promised the first
    > thing I'd do was ring my fiancee and tell her how it'd gone - hope you enjoyed your
    > drink And all the best.
    > --
    > Targaff

Old Sep 11th 2002, 10:43 pm
Morkai Kurst

Congrats

This is weird, when I went last wednesday (4th sept) they didn't take any of my adit
photo's at all. Just the two on the DS-156's which were standard passport types which
is what the lady told me to put on that one when I rang the hotline to check. Is the
picture on your visa an adit photo? Mine is just a scan of the DS-156 picture.

Hopefully thats not going to cause a problem at Houston when I get there.

Anyway, glad things went smoothly, good luck with everything else

Morkai

Targaff wrote:
    > I had my interview in London on Monday, it went without a hitch. I think most of
    > the salient points as regards London have been posted here before and better by
    > others, but I'll give it a stab just for the sake of completeness.
    > I got up early (5.45) in order to get there nice and early; I was staying with a
    > friend, so figured that'd be plenty of time. In the event, I didn't get moving
    > anywhere until just before 7, and then had to detour to Euston to drop my luggage
    > off, whereupon the tube I was going to get through to Marble Arch via Warren Street
    > broke down in the station - auspicious start I got to Dr. Phelan's place at
    > about ten past eight, and everyone else had already gone in, so I just rang, went
    > in and was given the required stuff (you get a pink plastic folder, into which you
    > put your passport, vaccination info and the pre-completed medical health form).
    > This was duly returned to the front desk and I got called up about 45 minutes
    > later, last of the group (of course). It's a good job I was last, anyhow - I
    > wouldn't have understood my name from the speaker if I weren't.
    > Anyhow, so you pay your wonga, 125 quid, and they give you a green plastic folder
    > which you take downstairs and put in a holder on the wall on the left - it's easily
    > missed if you're not looking for it, so don't keep hold of your folder or you won't
    > get seen! After a bit I was called for the blood test, which they're *very* good
    > at, and then another 10 minutes later called through to have my chest x-ray. They
    > give you a cubicle to strip down to the waist, then do the x-ray, again very
    > efficient, and you're seen almost immediately by one of the doctors, who are quite
    > chatty and just did checks like take blood pressure, do the stethoscope thang on
    > your chest, etc. etc. I'd had all my injections so there were no problems, and I
    > was told to take my x-ray and go to the Embassy.
    > The usual English weather then proceeded to show its colours and it chucked it down
    > for the rest of the day. If you're going to London for an interview, remember to
    > take an umbrella, even in the middle of summer. Otherwise you'll adopt the drowned
    > rat look, like I did (something of an improvement!
    > The map shows that the entrance to the Embassy is around the back, on Upper
    > Grosvenor Street. Technically this is true, but for the moment at least the embassy
    > is surrounded by metal fencing and you actually go in at the corner of the building
    > on Upper Brook Street and then walk back around; this may be a temporary measure,
    > however. Remember to take your appointment letter with you, too - they have a list
    > of appointments and will ask to see it.
    > Security at the door is like an airport in miniature, then you go around the back
    > of the desk and up some stairs to the right, to a door that magically opens when
    > you get close, not that they're watching you at all... when you go through you
    > report to desk 1 or 2 to let them know you're there, and then sit down. I had a 45
    > minute wait and I was called back to desk 2 and they just asked for the documents
    > one by one, and copies; they're asked for in the order they're given in the list
    > sent on the Packet 3, so just follow that and you'll be fine. Oh, and whatever any
    > other document says, take 4 identical ADIT photos, because that's what they really
    > want even if they say they require less.
    > I then sat down again to wait for my actual interview. The waiting area is really,
    > really dull - one of the other people there described it as a library without the
    > books, which is pretty accurate. After another wait of about 45 minutes, I was
    > called to desk 6, which is behind a semi- darkened screen, and this was the
    > interview - do the "I won't lie" thing and then you're asked some questions. For
    > about a minute and a half. Considering the amount of effort I'd put into preparing
    > for this, I was half-hoping to get a bit more of a return ;p But it was all very
    > basic: when/where we met, parents' full names, where she was born, etc. etc., and
    > then I was told to come back at 1. I didn't even have to present a single document
    > in support of an extant relationship! Which sucked, because I'd lugged the lot
    > around with me all day ;p
    > Anyhow, I left and came back about 20 minutes later, because of the gorgeous
    > weather outside, and just waited an hour or so until they started giving out visas.
    > I was about 4th or 5th to be called up - the blokey gave me the brown envelope and
    > a medical form, plus another which is sure to be important but I forgot to note
    > what it was, then my passport with the visa. They go over the time limitations and
    > stuff, e.g. 6 months to enter, 90 days thereafter to marry, etc., and then you're
    > free to go.
    > That's basically it - 5 hours of mostly waiting in all. Incidentally, sorry to the
    > nice person who invited me to the pub for a pint, btw, but I'd promised the first
    > thing I'd do was ring my fiancee and tell her how it'd gone - hope you enjoyed your
    > drink And all the best.

Old Sep 11th 2002, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Sioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really nice

And, by the way, your fiancee greatly appreciates your prompt call, as I was extraordinarily impatient to find out how things had gone!!!!!

-Heidi
Old Sep 11th 2002, 10:49 pm
Morkai Kurst

Default Re: Follow up Re: K1 visa success - London 9/9/02

I'm not the OP but I do have a recent timeline:

> Can you let us know when you
    > 1)sent off your packet

29th July

> 2)hear back from the embassy with an interview date

15th August

> 3)had your interview ( 9th september right)

4th September

> I have just sent off my packet , and i have heard reports of 8-10 weeks - which
    > seems long - the dates would be gratefully received many thanks

Mine took 5 weeks in total, which I think from what I have seen is fairly common.

> ps. thanks for the warning about the adit photos - i will go and get another set
    > done

Heh, perversely I didn't have to provide any except the two standard passport photo's
on my DS-156's...Go figure..

Good luck

Morkai

Old Sep 11th 2002, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Sioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really nice

If I recall correctly, he:

1. Sent off his packet close to July 20th, as our NOA was on July 11, we didn't hear about it until the 12th or 13th, and he finished assembling everything and sent it off around the 20th.
2. He didn't hear back from the embassy until shortly after August 4th (Ironic timing for personal reasons), and I'm sure he has the precise date, but it was sometime between the 6th and 10th, if I recall correctly.
3. The interview was September 9th.

So, in weeks, it was something like...seven or eight weeks between mailing off the packet and getting the interview. Some folks have implied that giving an earlier departure date speeds things up a bit, but someone who was planning to leave two or three weeks earlier than Graham only got an interview a week or so earlier than he did, if memory serves.

Good luck!

-Heidi
Old Sep 12th 2002, 5:26 am
Targaff

"Morkai Kurst" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> This is weird, when I went last wednesday (4th sept) they didn't take any of my
    > adit photo's at all. Just the two on the DS-156's which were standard passport
    > types which is what the lady told me to put on that one when I rang the hotline to
    > check. Is the picture on your visa an adit photo? Mine is just a scan of the DS-156
    > picture.

The picture on my visa is the ADIT that I gave them. Again, though, I get the
impression that they're not actually overly fussed about them... still, when the
bloke asked for photos I gave him 4 and didn't get any back, and the screen they have
in the waiting room giving information also says 4.

--

Targaff - "5 is right out..."

Old Sep 12th 2002, 5:28 am
Targaff

"David Thomas" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
net:

> Thanks for the information - it is very reasurring to read things go smoothly at
    > the actual interview day. - congratulations on your approval!
    > Can you let us know when you
    > 1)sent off your packet
    > 2)hear back from the embassy with an interview date
    > 3)had your interview ( 9th september right)

See Sioneva's post, she's better at keeping track of this sort of stuff than I am. 8
weeks from NoA2 to interview is about right, though - don't confuse that with when
you actually get the interview date, which is about a month, IIRC.

--

Targaff

Old Sep 12th 2002, 5:33 am
Targaff

Targaff <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected] 93.-
157:

Oh the thing I forgot to mention was that I went straight to the travel agents and
got myself a one-way ticket - £261.80 all in from Manchester to Austin via Atlanta.
How good is that?

--

Targaff

Old Sep 12th 2002, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

RickQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations on getting your visa

Mine has an ADIT photo too.

BTW, the door which magically opens is actually opened by a soldier (possibly a US Marine). He is off to the right behind a high up window. I noticed this when I was down at the embassy (I had to go back and forth through that door a few times to get to the loo, which is down some stairs behind the x-ray machine guys).

Rick
Old Sep 12th 2002, 3:34 pm
Laura

My fiancee asks if anyone has any experience with having a drink-driving conviction
(driving ban time having been completed)on their criminal record at K-1 interview in
London and if this has any effect on their interview?

Thanks,

Laura

Targaff <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. 193.157>...
    > Targaff <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected] 93.15-
    > 7:

> Oh the thing I forgot to mention was that I went straight to the travel agents and
    > got myself a one-way ticket - £261.80 all in from Manchester to Austin via Atlanta.
    > How good is that?