K1 visa questions

Old Feb 9th 2015, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 visa questions

Originally Posted by Cowburn
My fiancé earns enough over the poverty line that I don't need the affidavit of support...
You must have a completed I-134 signed by your US citizen sponsor - unless you, alone, have sufficient assets to overcome that requirement.

I'm correct in thinking a print out of her tax returns for 2014 is sufficient evidence for this at the interview for K1 applications right?
You think incorrectly. Her 2014 tax returns are not sufficient on their own. You must have an I-134 and whatever specific documents the I-134 requires.

I read that the I-134 wasn't required only recommended.
No... you didn't read that - certainly not on any US or UK government web site, and not likely on BE.

Ian
Old Feb 9th 2015, 11:10 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Just an update: I was informed by the embassy that they will not change my interview date and if I don't have the passport in time they will rearrange my appointment. Thankfully I managed to ring the passport office and have them upgrade the process and I have had my passport for a few days now. Got my travel and hotel booked so it's just a case of making sure I have all the official documents I need ready and any extra evidence.

My fiancé earns enough over the poverty line that I don't need the affidavit of support, I'm correct in thinking a print out of her tax returns for 2014 is sufficient evidence for this at the interview for K1 applications right? I read that the I-134 wasn't required only recommended. Is there a chance that the tax returns won't be enough to satisfy whoever interviews me? If it's better I can get the I-134 and use her tax return with a recent paycheck and w-2 slips as evidence.
The fact she earns enough means you don't need a co-sponsor, like her Dad or someone else, not that you need no sponsor.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
The fact she earns enough means you don't need a co-sponsor, like her Dad or someone else, not that you need no sponsor.
There is no such thing as a co-sponsor either for an I-864 or for an I-134. For an I-864 you can have both a sponsor and a joint sponsor... but for an I-134, there is only a sponsor. Usually, it's the USC fiancé(e) but it can be anyone meeting the requirements.

Ian
Old Feb 9th 2015, 11:34 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There is no such thing as a co-sponsor either for an I-864 or for an I-134. For an I-864 you can have both a sponsor and a joint sponsor... but for an I-134, there is only a sponsor. Usually, it's the USC fiancé(e) but it can be anyone meeting the requirements.

Ian
Oops, yes, I didn't quite say what I meant, and would have been wrong anyway. Thanks.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

Cowburn has a reputation beyond reputeCowburn has a reputation beyond reputeCowburn has a reputation beyond reputeCowburn has a reputation beyond reputeCowburn has a reputation beyond reputeCowburn has a reputation beyond reputeCowburn has a reputation beyond reputeCowburn has a reputation beyond reputeCowburn has a reputation beyond reputeCowburn has a reputation beyond reputeCowburn has a reputation beyond repute

I realised I was getting confused with the I-864. It shows it pays to never assume and always ask/look for more information! Next week is what we've been waiting for and as far as I can see the I-134 is the only thing that needed sorting aside from waiting to hear about what help they can offer with my prosthetic leg. Hoping the flight prices stay reasonable as I hope to book as soon as I receive the visa in my hand off the courier for a few days after I always hoped for an early to mid March move and it's looking like that could be the case

So tomorrow she is sending me a letter from her employer confirming that she works there, how much she earns, the position and that it's full time. She's also sending her W2, payslips and I have her tax return for 2014 (1040a) printed. Should she sign the W2 in a random spot to prove she sent it me?

Last edited by Cowburn; Feb 9th 2015 at 11:58 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 12:45 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Should she sign the W2 in a random spot to prove she sent it me?
No, not needed.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 1:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I realised I was getting confused with the I-864. It shows it pays to never assume and always ask/look for more information! Next week is what we've been waiting for and as far as I can see the I-134 is the only thing that needed sorting aside from waiting to hear about what help they can offer with my prosthetic leg. Hoping the flight prices stay reasonable as I hope to book as soon as I receive the visa in my hand off the courier for a few days after I always hoped for an early to mid March move and it's looking like that could be the case

So tomorrow she is sending me a letter from her employer confirming that she works there, how much she earns, the position and that it's full time. She's also sending her W2, payslips and I have her tax return for 2014 (1040a) printed. Should she sign the W2 in a random spot to prove she sent it me?
She's also sending an original I-134, right?

Rene
Old Feb 10th 2015, 2:29 am
Just Joined

Cowburn has a reputation beyond reputeCowburn has a reputation beyond reputeCowburn has a reputation beyond reputeCowburn has a reputation beyond reputeCowburn has a reputation beyond reputeCowburn has a reputation beyond reputeCowburn has a reputation beyond reputeCowburn has a reputation beyond reputeCowburn has a reputation beyond reputeCowburn has a reputation beyond reputeCowburn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
She's also sending an original I-134, right?

Rene
Oops I forgot to add that, yes she is.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Hello all,

I have officially collected all the official documents required and now just need to make copies which I will tomorrow

I'm in the progress of finalising my evidence in case they ask which will consist of a kind of cover letter detailing the time's we have met since my fiancé filed the petition, various receipts and tickets (concerts, metro, cinema, engagement ring etc.), printouts of parts of my bank statement showing cash machine withdrawals, flight email printouts for both of us (and the corresponding stamp in passport) plus various photos taken before and after the petition including one just moments after we got engaged. I do have a question regarding the photos. They've all been taken on either mine or her iPhone and my local photo shop (Max Spielmann) has no way to imprint the date on the photos. Will the lack of a date be an issue? I was going to include a sheet of paper detailing each photo describing the location and date it was taken. Will they be satisfied? I really don't want them to reject the photos I try to show because they lack a date stamp. Alternatively if anyone knows of a shop which can use the EXIF data on the iPhone photos I will be more than happy to travel and get it done. I've asked a few including Wilkinson's who also can't do it.

Last edited by Cowburn; Feb 14th 2015 at 2:58 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

Will the lack of a date be an issue?
No... dates aren't required.

I really don't want them to reject the photos...
I really think most of what you're taking is unnecessary; there's no requirement to demonstrate an ongoing relationship.

Ian
Old Feb 14th 2015, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

I used undated photos and it wasn't an issue.

What is a good idea though is to have an index listing the photos, with the event depicted and the appx date.

Good luck!
Old Feb 14th 2015, 3:20 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
I used undated photos and it wasn't an issue.

What is a good idea though is to have an index listing the photos, with the event depicted and the appx date.
Really not needed. I haven't read of any interview experiences on here where any additional proof was asked for. Take some photos if you wish but all the other stuff (receipts etc) is unnecessary.

Good luck!
Old Feb 14th 2015, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
Really not needed. I haven't read of any interview experiences on here where any additional proof was asked for. Take some photos if you wish but all the other stuff (receipts etc) is unnecessary.

Good luck!
I didn't say it was needed

Since the OP was asking about the photos I provided a suggestion for indexing them, which makes it easier for everyone.

At my interview (2009) they commented on the photos and said it's clear the two of you have been close for sometime
Old Feb 17th 2015, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the helpful responses. I've trimmed the evidence down to a handful of photographs and there are the stamps in my old, damaged passport that they can take a look at.

Everything is packed and ready to go for my megabus to London tomorrow Think I'll have to eat at Chipotle in London because I've been often during my trips to Virginia
Old Feb 18th 2015, 12:16 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

My bad but -- haven't seen "binder boy" put in an appearance of late.

When I was in practice, I always tried to have pity on the poor bueraucrat who had to read the submission. Just saying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.