Wikiposts

K1 Visa Questions

Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

paul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to all
Default K1 Visa Questions

Hi,

Although this is my first post I’ve found this forum an invaluable source of information and I’m hoping somebody can help me with a couple of questions specific to my situation.

I (UKC) recently got engaged to a USC and we live together in London (she is here on work permit). We wish to marry in the US next year and live there after. Assuming the K1 Visa will take 6-10 months, I am planning to file the paperwork in April 2008, hopefully get the visa in hand around Christmas 2008. I will then enter the US in March/April 2009 to marry in May/June 2009.

I plan to do the paperwork myself but have a couple of questions:

1. Does anybody see any problems with the timeline above? I’m aware of the 6 months to enter and 90-days to marry rules when you have the visa.

2. We are probably spending Christmas in the US. What happens if I already have the visa in my passport, can I ask for it not to be ‘activated’ at that entry? Or should I try to arrange my interview with US Embassy in London for after Christmas so I don’t get the visa? Do they even do this and allow you to postpone your interview to a later date?

Thanks for taking the time to read this! I’m sure I will plenty of more questions as we go along. Luckily I’ve found answers to most just by reading through plenty of threads!

Thanks,
Paul
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:05 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Visa Questions

hi,

The first paperwork to be filed is sent by the USC partner. Otherwise, your timeline looks fine.

If you already have the K visa in your passport, it is a gamble on whether you can enter for a visit but not use it (there are very few, rare reports of Canadians and a couple of Spaniards doing this, but little else).

You CAN postpone your interview to suit your schedule.

Good luck!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:07 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Paul.

Just a wee clarification (because terminology is everything), it's your USC fiancee' that will file the paperwork in April. Hopefully she has a US domicile address as that is required.

Your part (applying for a visa) comes after that.

I'd try to arrange my interview after Christmas. I've read the occasional account of a successful entry into the US without activating the K visa so it's not impossible, but why bother.

If your girl files the I129F in April, it's likely to be October or later before it even moves to the consulate level. It takes three of four weeks after the petition reaches London for them to even invite you to apply for your interview (Packet 3).
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:07 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
hi,

The first paperwork to be filed is sent by the USC partner. Otherwise, your timeline looks fine.

If you already have the K visa in your passport, it is a gamble on whether you can enter for a visit but not use it (there are very few, rare reports of Canadians and a couple of Spaniards doing this, but little else).

You CAN postpone your interview to suit your schedule.

Good luck!
Hey you!!!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

paul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Hello Paul.

Just a wee clarification (because terminology is everything), it's your USC fiancee' that will file the paperwork in April. Hopefully she has a US domicile address as that is required.

Your part (applying for a visa) comes after that.

I'd try to arrange my interview after Christmas. I've read the occasional account of a successful entry into the US without activating the K visa so it's not impossible, but why bother.

If your girl files the I129F in April, it's likely to be October or later before it even moves to the consulate level. It takes three of four weeks after the petition reaches London for them to even invite you to apply for your interview (Packet 3).
Thanks for your (very quick!) replies.

Sorry I was aware that the USC files, my error.

We're going to be living with her parents for the first few months in CA so we have a US address to use. I will go with filing in April then and postponing the interview until after Xmas if it comes up by then.