Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 Visa Process questions

K1 Visa Process questions

Old Nov 11th 2019, 10:05 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Visa Process questions

What he is suggesting is illegal and can possibly result in a lifetime ban from the US.

Fire him immediately. It is illegal to enter the US as a visitor when it is your actual intention to remain, marry, and adjust status.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
What he is suggesting is illegal and can possibly result in a lifetime ban from the US.

Fire him immediately. It is illegal to enter the US as a visitor when it is your actual intention to remain, marry, and adjust status.
That was my thought too. she contacting other immigration lawyers
Old Nov 11th 2019, 10:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

There is no need for an immigration lawyer at all. The K-1 is very straightforward. Why is she contacting lawyers?

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2019, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
There is no need for an immigration lawyer at all. The K-1 is very straightforward. Why is she contacting lawyers?

Rene
she gets free legal advice with her job who can check the forms before she submits and wanted to check K1 is our best route
Old Nov 12th 2019, 3:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I see. Just keep in mind that she is still responsible for the forms being correct, and as you can see not all lawyers give the best advice. Good thing you are asking here as well, please keep doing that.

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2019, 3:26 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk

she gets free legal advice with her job who can check the forms before she submits and wanted to check K1 is our best route
Free legal advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Nothing.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Just posted my fiancee my visa sized photo and photocopies of the stamps in my passport showing when I visited as well as my passport page. Then I think she has everything to send off the application. Then its a waiting game. I still don't know how far in advance to get my Canadian criminal record check. Such a long costly process. Getting fingerprints costs £79. Sending to a canadian company to digitise is $250 and the actual criminal record check is only $25 lol. Almost tempted to book a flight and get it done out there for alot cheaper lol. Its valid for a year. Just now sure how long the ink fingerprints are valid for?
Old Jan 17th 2020, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

So we received NOA1 a week or so ago.
Has anyone else from the UK had to get a police check from outside of Canada. Just looking at how it went for other people in regards of costs and timescale. so not sure at what stage to apply for this.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well the vast majority of UK filers would need to do that, when I did mine took a couple of months, seems much shorter and easier now.

So we received NOA1 a week or so ago.
Has anyone else from the UK had to get a police check from outside of Canada. Just looking at how it went for other people in regards of costs and timescale. so not sure at what stage to apply for this.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well the vast majority of UK filers would need to do that, when I did mine took a couple of months, seems much shorter and easier now.
This is for a Canadian Criminal Record check as I lived in Vancouver for almost 3 years. The UK police check is easy its the Canadian one thats complicated. You have to pay and get ink prints from the police, send them to a Canadian company to be digitised min $250 i've seen and then they send for police check which is $25 but looking for recommendation on company to send too and how long it took. hence asking if anyone else applying or who has been through the K1 process had to do this if they lived in canada for more than 6 months.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry no idea.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 12:38 am

My understanding is that you only need a police report from a country that you have lived in for more than one year, after the age of 16.

Rene
Old Jan 18th 2020, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My understanding is that you only need a police report from a country that you have lived in for more than one year, after the age of 16.

Rene
Yep I lived in Canada for almost 3 years so will need a Canadian as well as a British one.