Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 Visa Process questions

K1 Visa Process questions

Old Nov 5th 2019, 2:12 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 189
nikkif99uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 Visa Process questions

Hi everyone

I've read up on the K1 process and have some questions. I recently got engaged to my girlfriend on October 28th. We have been together just under 6 months but the distance is hard and we know marriage is what we want. She is Puerto Rican and resides in Orlando Florida. She has an American passport, a well paid job and her divorce is finalised. Is there a minimum amount of time we have had to be together or we just have to have met in person in the last 2 years. That line always confuses me. We met on my holiday in May, she visited the UK in June for 11 nights and I just got bk from 3 weeks together in Orlando. We video chat and message everyday and have lots of pictures together.

To confirm the initial form costs $535?
How long is a UK Police check good for website says it varies depending on country your applying for?
I lived in Canada for a total of 3 years. Anyone know how to apply for a Canadian Police Check as the Canadian site is confusing and says they only accept biometric prints from within Canada!!!
How long does it normally take to get a date for your medical? You schedule the visa interview after the medical correct?
In regards to the medical vaccinations required are Flu shot, TDap (not sure what that is) and MMR. I know i had the latter as a kid hopefully my GP has vaccination records. But I read you don't actually have to have had these done by the medical for K1 visa?
Do I need the affidavit of support. says I-864 Form not required for K1 but should I get my fiancee to fill in the I-134 bit confused

What is the visa interview? like is it 1.5 hours?
What is the average processing time? 18 months?

Thanks in advance and sorry is this has all been covered in other threads. I love my fiancee and can't wait to be together so just want to get started now we are officially engaged.

Nikki
nikkif99uk is offline  
Old Nov 5th 2019, 11:39 am
  #2  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 57,890
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Visa Process questions

1. No minimum amount of time. Just have to have met in person within the past 2 years.

2. The cost of the I-129F can be found at www.uscis.gov.

3. The ACRO police report I believe is valid for 1 year, but you should wait until after the I-129F approval to order it.

4. For details on ordering police certificates from other countries, Google "US State Department Reciprocity Table".

5. I believe it only takes a couple of weeks to get the medical booked, but this doesn't happen until closer to the visa interview.

6. Yes, the visa interview should be scheduled for at least a week after the medical exam.

7. Sorry, I'm not up on what vaccinations are required, but all that information should be on the US Embassy London website.

8. Yes, you need the affidavit of support. Your fiancee should complete the I-134 and provide the supporting documents, and you take all that to the visa interview. Details are at www.uscis.gov.

9. "What is the visa interview"? It's when you appear in person at the USCIS Field Office at the US Embassy and they determine whether you qualify for the visa.

10. The interview itself is usually around 15 minutes long, although depending how busy they are, you could be there several hours.

11. Average processing time from filing I-129F to attending visa interview is probably 12 to 18 months.

Rene
Noorah101 is online now  
Old Nov 5th 2019, 12:41 pm
  #3  
Often not so civil...
 
civilservant's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: The Boonies, GA
Posts: 7,230
civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Visa Process questions

Steps for getting a certified criminal record check | Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Here's the 'out of country' procedure for obtaining your RCMP records.
civilservant is offline  
Old Nov 5th 2019, 11:28 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 189
nikkif99uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K1 Visa Process questions

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
Steps for getting a certified criminal record check | Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Here's the 'out of country' procedure for obtaining your RCMP records.
wow looks complicated get ink fingerprints and send those to an accredited agency. Need to find somewhere near Eastbourne. Is it just police stations?
nikkif99uk is offline  
Old Nov 7th 2019, 8:28 pm
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
tom169's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: NC, USA (ex Yorkshire)
Posts: 3,854
tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Visa Process questions

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
1. No minimum amount of time. Just have to have met in person within the past 2 years.

2. The cost of the I-129F can be found at www.uscis.gov.

3. The ACRO police report I believe is valid for 1 year, but you should wait until after the I-129F approval to order it.

4. For details on ordering police certificates from other countries, Google "US State Department Reciprocity Table".

5. I believe it only takes a couple of weeks to get the medical booked, but this doesn't happen until closer to the visa interview.

6. Yes, the visa interview should be scheduled for at least a week after the medical exam.

7. Sorry, I'm not up on what vaccinations are required, but all that information should be on the US Embassy London website.

8. Yes, you need the affidavit of support. Your fiancee should complete the I-134 and provide the supporting documents, and you take all that to the visa interview. Details are at www.uscis.gov.

9. "What is the visa interview"? It's when you appear in person at the USCIS Field Office at the US Embassy and they determine whether you qualify for the visa.

10. The interview itself is usually around 15 minutes long, although depending how busy they are, you could be there several hours.

11. Average processing time from filing I-129F to attending visa interview is probably 12 to 18 months.

Rene
Thank you for responding to the OP, even if they don't thank you.
tom169 is online now  
Old Nov 7th 2019, 11:28 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 189
nikkif99uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K1 Visa Process questions

Originally Posted by tom169 View Post
Thank you for responding to the OP, even if they don't thank you.
Hey sorry didn't get a chance to respond but thanks for the advice everyone.
hat information does my fiancee need from me for her initial application?
he whole Canadian police check completely has me frazzled. Need to find out how long they last for as it sounds like a long process to apply for. Finding somewhere to do the ink fingerprints and then finding somewhere in Canada to submit them for the police check.
nikkif99uk is offline  
Old Nov 7th 2019, 11:36 pm
  #7  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 57,890
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Visa Process questions

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk View Post
Hey sorry didn't get a chance to respond but thanks for the advice everyone.
hat information does my fiancee need from me for her initial application?
www.uscis.gov. I-129F page.

Rene
Noorah101 is online now  
Old Nov 8th 2019, 10:55 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 189
nikkif99uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K1 Visa Process questions

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
www.uscis.gov. I-129F page.

Rene
thanks
nikkif99uk is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2019, 12:30 am
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 31,599
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Visa Process questions

Biggest issue for most is the long wait on a K1 before you can start working.
Boiler is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2019, 11:18 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 189
nikkif99uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K1 Visa Process questions

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Biggest issue for most is the long wait on a K1 before you can start working.
is that for adjustment of status? How long does that take roughly and I have to stay in the states for that right?

also when it comes to the move what are the best ways to ship items? It’s mainly just books, dvds and collectibles so not sure if air cargo or sea freight will be cheaper. Or extra suitcases.
nikkif99uk is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2019, 12:41 pm
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
tom169's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: NC, USA (ex Yorkshire)
Posts: 3,854
tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Visa Process questions

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk View Post


is that for adjustment of status? How long does that take roughly and I have to stay in the states for that right?

also when it comes to the move what are the best ways to ship items? It’s mainly just books, dvds and collectibles so not sure if air cargo or sea freight will be cheaper. Or extra suitcases.
Adjustment of status takes probably about a year.

Along with your I-485 you can submit an I-765 and an I-131 to gain employment authorization and travel authorization. Those will probably take about 3 months.

Best case thing to do would be enter USA, get married, and submit everything asap. I did so the next day after flying in. Start the clock.
tom169 is online now  
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:13 pm
  #12  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 57,890
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Visa Process questions

Shipping questions should be asked in our main USA forum, please. You'll get a better response over there. Lots of existing threads on that topic there, too.

Rene
Moderator
Noorah101 is online now  
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:18 pm
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 31,599
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Visa Process questions

Currently more like 6 months for EAD/AP.
Boiler is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:59 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 189
nikkif99uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K1 Visa Process questions

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
Shipping questions should be asked in our main USA forum, please. You'll get a better response over there. Lots of existing threads on that topic there, too.

Rene
Moderator
will do thanks
nikkif99uk is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2019, 11:02 pm
  #15  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 189
nikkif99uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K1 Visa Process questions

So confused. My fiancee had an interview with an immigration lawyer, who advised her that we didn't need a K1 visa that we should just get married when I visit and then for her to file for a I-130 I=865, I-485, I-765 and G-365A whilst I stay in the country!!! He said K1 is for people who live in countries with no access to the UK. This doesn't sound like anything I have read before. Can anyone shed some light on this please.
nikkif99uk is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.