British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   K1 Visa Process questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/k1-visa-process-questions-929074/)

nikkif99uk Nov 5th 2019 1:12 am

K1 Visa Process questions

Hi everyone

I've read up on the K1 process and have some questions. I recently got engaged to my girlfriend on October 28th. We have been together just under 6 months but the distance is hard and we know marriage is what we want. She is Puerto Rican and resides in Orlando Florida. She has an American passport, a well paid job and her divorce is finalised. Is there a minimum amount of time we have had to be together or we just have to have met in person in the last 2 years. That line always confuses me. We met on my holiday in May, she visited the UK in June for 11 nights and I just got bk from 3 weeks together in Orlando. We video chat and message everyday and have lots of pictures together.

To confirm the initial form costs $535?
How long is a UK Police check good for website says it varies depending on country your applying for?
I lived in Canada for a total of 3 years. Anyone know how to apply for a Canadian Police Check as the Canadian site is confusing and says they only accept biometric prints from within Canada!!!
How long does it normally take to get a date for your medical? You schedule the visa interview after the medical correct?
In regards to the medical vaccinations required are Flu shot, TDap (not sure what that is) and MMR. I know i had the latter as a kid hopefully my GP has vaccination records. But I read you don't actually have to have had these done by the medical for K1 visa?
Do I need the affidavit of support. says I-864 Form not required for K1 but should I get my fiancee to fill in the I-134 bit confused

What is the visa interview? like is it 1.5 hours?
What is the average processing time? 18 months?

Thanks in advance and sorry is this has all been covered in other threads. I love my fiancee and can't wait to be together so just want to get started now we are officially engaged.

Nikki

Noorah101 Nov 5th 2019 10:39 am

Re: K1 Visa Process questions

1. No minimum amount of time. Just have to have met in person within the past 2 years.

2. The cost of the I-129F can be found at www.uscis.gov.

3. The ACRO police report I believe is valid for 1 year, but you should wait until after the I-129F approval to order it.

4. For details on ordering police certificates from other countries, Google "US State Department Reciprocity Table".

5. I believe it only takes a couple of weeks to get the medical booked, but this doesn't happen until closer to the visa interview.

6. Yes, the visa interview should be scheduled for at least a week after the medical exam.

7. Sorry, I'm not up on what vaccinations are required, but all that information should be on the US Embassy London website.

8. Yes, you need the affidavit of support. Your fiancee should complete the I-134 and provide the supporting documents, and you take all that to the visa interview. Details are at www.uscis.gov.

9. "What is the visa interview"? It's when you appear in person at the USCIS Field Office at the US Embassy and they determine whether you qualify for the visa.

10. The interview itself is usually around 15 minutes long, although depending how busy they are, you could be there several hours.

11. Average processing time from filing I-129F to attending visa interview is probably 12 to 18 months.

Rene

civilservant Nov 5th 2019 11:41 am

Steps for getting a certified criminal record check | Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Here's the 'out of country' procedure for obtaining your RCMP records.

nikkif99uk Nov 5th 2019 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12759214)
Steps for getting a certified criminal record check | Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Here's the 'out of country' procedure for obtaining your RCMP records.

wow looks complicated get ink fingerprints and send those to an accredited agency. Need to find somewhere near Eastbourne. Is it just police stations?

tom169 Nov 7th 2019 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12759184)
1. No minimum amount of time. Just have to have met in person within the past 2 years.

2. The cost of the I-129F can be found at www.uscis.gov.

3. The ACRO police report I believe is valid for 1 year, but you should wait until after the I-129F approval to order it.

4. For details on ordering police certificates from other countries, Google "US State Department Reciprocity Table".

5. I believe it only takes a couple of weeks to get the medical booked, but this doesn't happen until closer to the visa interview.

6. Yes, the visa interview should be scheduled for at least a week after the medical exam.

7. Sorry, I'm not up on what vaccinations are required, but all that information should be on the US Embassy London website.

8. Yes, you need the affidavit of support. Your fiancee should complete the I-134 and provide the supporting documents, and you take all that to the visa interview. Details are at www.uscis.gov.

9. "What is the visa interview"? It's when you appear in person at the USCIS Field Office at the US Embassy and they determine whether you qualify for the visa.

10. The interview itself is usually around 15 minutes long, although depending how busy they are, you could be there several hours.

11. Average processing time from filing I-129F to attending visa interview is probably 12 to 18 months.

Rene

Thank you for responding to the OP, even if they don't thank you. :goodpost:

nikkif99uk Nov 7th 2019 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12760492)
Thank you for responding to the OP, even if they don't thank you. :goodpost:

Hey sorry didn't get a chance to respond but thanks for the advice everyone.
hat information does my fiancee need from me for her initial application?
he whole Canadian police check completely has me frazzled. Need to find out how long they last for as it sounds like a long process to apply for. Finding somewhere to do the ink fingerprints and then finding somewhere in Canada to submit them for the police check.

Noorah101 Nov 7th 2019 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk (Post 12760573)
Hey sorry didn't get a chance to respond but thanks for the advice everyone.
hat information does my fiancee need from me for her initial application?

www.uscis.gov. I-129F page.

Rene

nikkif99uk Nov 8th 2019 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12760577)
www.uscis.gov. I-129F page.

Rene

thanks

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 8th 2019 11:30 pm

Biggest issue for most is the long wait on a K1 before you can start working.

nikkif99uk Nov 9th 2019 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12761095)
Biggest issue for most is the long wait on a K1 before you can start working.

is that for adjustment of status? How long does that take roughly and I have to stay in the states for that right?

also when it comes to the move what are the best ways to ship items? It’s mainly just books, dvds and collectibles so not sure if air cargo or sea freight will be cheaper. Or extra suitcases.

tom169 Nov 9th 2019 11:41 am

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk (Post 12761242)

is that for adjustment of status? How long does that take roughly and I have to stay in the states for that right?

also when it comes to the move what are the best ways to ship items? It’s mainly just books, dvds and collectibles so not sure if air cargo or sea freight will be cheaper. Or extra suitcases.

Adjustment of status takes probably about a year.

Along with your I-485 you can submit an I-765 and an I-131 to gain employment authorization and travel authorization. Those will probably take about 3 months.

Best case thing to do would be enter USA, get married, and submit everything asap. I did so the next day after flying in. Start the clock.

Noorah101 Nov 9th 2019 1:13 pm

Shipping questions should be asked in our main USA forum, please. You'll get a better response over there. Lots of existing threads on that topic there, too.

Rene

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 9th 2019 1:18 pm

Currently more like 6 months for EAD/AP.

nikkif99uk Nov 9th 2019 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12761285)
Shipping questions should be asked in our main USA forum, please. You'll get a better response over there. Lots of existing threads on that topic there, too.

Rene

will do thanks

nikkif99uk Nov 11th 2019 10:02 pm

So confused. My fiancee had an interview with an immigration lawyer, who advised her that we didn't need a K1 visa that we should just get married when I visit and then for her to file for a I-130 I=865, I-485, I-765 and G-365A whilst I stay in the country!!! He said K1 is for people who live in countries with no access to the UK. This doesn't sound like anything I have read before. Can anyone shed some light on this please.