Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 Visa my gift from father Christmas...APPROVED!

Wikiposts

K1 Visa my gift from father Christmas...APPROVED!

Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

jeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to alljeimz7 is a name known to all
Default Re: K1 Visa my gift from father Christmas...APPROVED!

Originally Posted by ajcmals
Hey!

I looked into sending some personal possesions to USA too when I moved (I didn't have many though!). I suppose the question is do you NEED to take all of it? My airline allowed two pieces of checked luggage (2 suit cases) and a carry on. Also was allowed 2 pieces of hand luggage. So in total I took a carry-on, a rucksack and then a carrier bag of duty-free stuff.

I also had skis (one of the things to transport) but I just had my parents bring those in when they came for the wedding. Unfortunately I might have to get rid of the skis now as my wife and I are finding it tough financially...

Also clothes... they are fairly cheap here. Do you / did you live with your parents? Do you have parents or friends that would keep some of your 'old clothes'? Perhaps it would be a good idea to leave non-essential clothes at home, also handy for when you visit home? I got about 10 pairs of shoes at home in England that I didn't bring out here!

Also I managed to put weight on since I been here! I was about 12stone when I came out, now i'm about 14stone! OUCH! So I don't fit most of my old clothes anyway!!! In fact there is also a program here whereby if you donate old clothes to 'goodwill' you can claim it on your taxes at the end of the financial year, which means you could get a rebate on your earnings.

I am excited for your move to USA! Personally I have found it VERY challenging and if I could go back there would be alot i'd do differently.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Happy New Year
Thanks....im really excited to see my fiance and start a new life with him...

I know i'll keep coming back here in BE ...Happy New Year to all!!