Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 visa - my experience

Wikiposts

K1 visa - my experience

Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

ChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura aboutChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura aboutChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura about
Default K1 visa - my experience

Hi all,

I've been a long time observer, obsessive (some might say, AR) & at least daily forum reader and due to the fantastic advice and experiences posted on here, rarely have I needed to ask a question as it really is all right in front of your eyes folks!

As a token of my appreciation of this site and all those who sail in her, herewith my visa interview experience.

Being the type of guy who likes plenty of contingency for things that might not go the way I'd planned, I emerged from Bond St tube a mere 1hr 45mins before my appointment time of 9am. Walked to Starbucks on N Audley and then timed the walk from there to the Embassy in order that I give myself sufficient time for subsequent tasks later. As I walked by Goulds, there was a guy stood outside, waiting impatiently for them to open, tapping his document wallet in his hand... if only he'd done some prior research on Gould's opening time... I later saw him pacing around the Embassy, still looking frustrated! Oh to be that guy!

So, arrival route timed, I headed back to Starbucks for my caffeine injection, quietly eyeing the quite obvious Embassy staff (discussing their weekend on a Tuesday, after MLK day holiday) and other victims for that day. After a while, I became engrossed in my book (brought with me by recommendation on here to while away the waiting hours spent in the Embassy) & coffee. The time soon passed.

A quick diversion through Goulds to drop my trusty sidekick, Mr i Phone, and keys off, all for the princely sum of £3. Those guys have got it going on in there. Whilst there to drop off/collect, a sum total of approximately 1 minute, there must have been 10 people doing exactly the same. Multiply that by the number of embassy appointments in one day = nice little cash earner!

Upon arrival at the Embassy this time, the first line must have been 20 deep just to get to the first security staff to check my passport and letter. They then put me in another winding line, approx 30 people ahead of me & in which I stood for approx 25 mins. Got to the front of this line where my passport and letter were checked again, stood in another line 10 deep, and finally got called into the security cabin to do the airport style scan of person & belongings. Quite a few got directed to the pharmacy to deposit their much loved electrical belongings, only to return to find the line even longer than before! If only they'd read this forum!

Round the visa side of the building, up the steps and another short line before I again showed my letter. In exchange, got my “I” number (I had to laugh when she gave me I-864. I thought to myself "Man, even the deli counter style numbers they give you have a government form sounding number!"). Now, this is the time when most would either take a seat, get a coffee, use the restroom or be completely overwhelmed by the whole situation and walk round aimlessly for a minute or two, trying to figure out what to do next. Not I. Did a "walk by" of the windows, just to see how the land lay, and not to my surprise, was greeted by ICL in Window 1!! At this point, more caffeine to numb the pain, and proceeded to find a seat amongst the masses. Looked at the screens, then my I number, then to see who was at Window 1 and proceeded to time how long this person took. Timed the others at window 13 too (the only 2 windows dealing with I numbers). ICL seemed to be taking longer than Window 13, much longer. One guy there (I later found out when compared to my first step up to the plate) was getting 20 questions, and then some! I hoped so much that I didn't get Window 1 that I even began doing math to work out my odds of avoiding it completely. Anyhow, lost in equation, I was completely delighted when my number came up on the screen.... next to Window 13 Approximate wait time before this happened 1hr 45 mins.

My experience here was fairly painless and rather quick. Fingerprints done, I gave over the originals and copies of what was required; only had one tax transcript from 2006 (despite fiancee's requesting of 2007 & 2008 from IRS, twice!) which seemed to do the job although he did say "we'll have to see if this is ok". Received x-ray, paid for visa at window 12 and then back to 13. Handed pink courier form and told to take a seat - total time at window 13, approx 10 mins.

Sat back down, this time right next to Window 1! Overheard a couple of victims getting the Chinese inquisition, ouch! Smiled inwardly and set about completing courier form. About an hour passed by when my number came up again, this time for Window 15.

Here I was greeted by a friendly lady, probably about my age, who asked me to confirm my fingerprints previously taken and then swear the oath. She then asked me to sign the form and write my fiancee's name in the space provided.
That done, she asked the following:

. What countries have I lived in
. What was I doing in those countries
. Where did we meet, when
. What happened after that (she wanted a timeline of then until present)
. What I do for a living, what do I plan on doing in the US
. What my fiancee does for a living
. When I planned on leaving UK for US
. When we planned on getting married, venue etc (reminded me of the 90 day rule)

She then said "Everything is in order here, I see no reason not to approve this", told me about hand carrying brown envelope for POE officer and then wished me "Good Luck". I thanked her muchly, wished her a good day and went on my merry way to pay the courier Total time at Window 15 = 10mins

As I walked out of the door, I looked up at the cloudy, midday London sky, breathed in the city air, grinned like a cat that got the cream and thought to myself "Awesome, not much more of this awful weather". Recovered trusty sidekick fruit-named product (others are available) and made haste for a rather nice pint of warm real ale to mark the milestone (for the first time, much more celebrating to be done yet!)

Good luck to the others in the K1 Class of 2010!! Stay focussed and you'll hopefully have an experience similar to that of my own

Thanks to all the heavy hitters on this forum, especially Noorah101, jeffreyhy, ian-mstm & meauxna, your combined knowledge is awesome. Special thanks to YWFWT & MandyNi, as I'm not that far behind you both, you've both been my "watching brief" over the past few months; I'm sure I'll continue to watch as I move from K1 to AOS.

Note for new forumites - contrary to the beliefs of some, perhaps because it may not be the answer you WANT to hear, 99.9% of the information you need is on this forum somewhere. If it isn't, someone on here will know how to acquire it. There are some very wise & experienced people on here, most of whom have been through some type of immigration process in some way. I encourage you to use the Wiki and Search functions of this site, ask if you really can't find what you are looking for.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:02 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 visa - my experience

Originally Posted by ChelseaDagger
As I walked out of the door, I looked up at the cloudy, midday London sky, breathed in the city air, grinned like a cat that got the cream
Congratulations! What a great report, and thanks for the nod and confirming that the posted info is helpful and here. Feel free to make corrections or additions to the wiki with things that could be helpful to others in the future.. you like to write!

Happy & safe travels, and we'll see you back for weddings and AOS soon!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of

Hi all,

I've been a long time observer, obsessive (some might say, AR) & at least daily forum reader and due to the fantastic advice and experiences posted on here, rarely have I needed to ask a question as it really is all right in front of your eyes folks!

As a token of my appreciation of this site and all those who sail in her, herewith my visa interview experience.

Being the type of guy who likes plenty of contingency for things that might not go the way I'd planned, I emerged from Bond St tube a mere 1hr 45mins before my appointment time of 9am. Walked to Starbucks on N Audley and then timed the walk from there to the Embassy in order that I give myself sufficient time for subsequent tasks later. As I walked by Goulds, there was a guy stood outside, waiting impatiently for them to open, tapping his document wallet in his hand... if only he'd done some prior research on Gould's opening time... I later saw him pacing around the Embassy, still looking frustrated! Oh to be that guy!

So, arrival route timed, I headed back to Starbucks for my caffeine injection, quietly eyeing the quite obvious Embassy staff (discussing their weekend on a Tuesday, after MLK day holiday) and other victims for that day. After a while, I became engrossed in my book (brought with me by recommendation on here to while away the waiting hours spent in the Embassy) & coffee. The time soon passed.

A quick diversion through Goulds to drop my trusty sidekick, Mr i Phone, and keys off, all for the princely sum of £3. Those guys have got it going on in there. Whilst there to drop off/collect, a sum total of approximately 1 minute, there must have been 10 people doing exactly the same. Multiply that by the number of embassy appointments in one day = nice little cash earner!

Upon arrival at the Embassy this time, the first line must have been 20 deep just to get to the first security staff to check my passport and letter. They then put me in another winding line, approx 30 people ahead of me & in which I stood for approx 25 mins. Got to the front of this line where my passport and letter were checked again, stood in another line 10 deep, and finally got called into the security cabin to do the airport style scan of person & belongings. Quite a few got directed to the pharmacy to deposit their much loved electrical belongings, only to return to find the line even longer than before! If only they'd read this forum!

Round the visa side of the building, up the steps and another short line before I again showed my letter. In exchange, got my “I” number (I had to laugh when she gave me I-864. I thought to myself "Man, even the deli counter style numbers they give you have a government form sounding number!"). Now, this is the time when most would either take a seat, get a coffee, use the restroom or be completely overwhelmed by the whole situation and walk round aimlessly for a minute or two, trying to figure out what to do next. Not I. Did a "walk by" of the windows, just to see how the land lay, and not to my surprise, was greeted by ICL in Window 1!! At this point, more caffeine to numb the pain, and proceeded to find a seat amongst the masses. Looked at the screens, then my I number, then to see who was at Window 1 and proceeded to time how long this person took. Timed the others at window 13 too (the only 2 windows dealing with I numbers). ICL seemed to be taking longer than Window 13, much longer. One guy there (I later found out when compared to my first step up to the plate) was getting 20 questions, and then some! I hoped so much that I didn't get Window 1 that I even began doing math to work out my odds of avoiding it completely. Anyhow, lost in equation, I was completely delighted when my number came up on the screen.... next to Window 13 Approximate wait time before this happened 1hr 45 mins.

My experience here was fairly painless and rather quick. Fingerprints done, I gave over the originals and copies of what was required; only had one tax transcript from 2006 (despite fiancee's requesting of 2007 & 2008 from IRS, twice!) which seemed to do the job although he did say "we'll have to see if this is ok". Received x-ray, paid for visa at window 12 and then back to 13. Handed pink courier form and told to take a seat - total time at window 13, approx 10 mins.

Sat back down, this time right next to Window 1! Overheard a couple of victims getting the Chinese inquisition, ouch! Smiled inwardly and set about completing courier form. About an hour passed by when my number came up again, this time for Window 15.

Here I was greeted by a friendly lady, probably about my age, who asked me to confirm my fingerprints previously taken and then swear the oath. She then asked me to sign the form and write my fiancee's name in the space provided.
That done, she asked the following:

. What countries have I lived in
. What was I doing in those countries
. Where did we meet, when
. What happened after that (she wanted a timeline of then until present)
. What I do for a living, what do I plan on doing in the US
. What my fiancee does for a living
. When I planned on leaving UK for US
. When we planned on getting married, venue etc (reminded me of the 90 day rule)

She then said "Everything is in order here, I see no reason not to approve this", told me about hand carrying brown envelope for POE officer and then wished me "Good Luck". I thanked her muchly, wished her a good day and went on my merry way to pay the courier Total time at Window 15 = 10mins

As I walked out of the door, I looked up at the cloudy, midday London sky, breathed in the city air, grinned like a cat that got the cream and thought to myself "Awesome, not much more of this awful weather". Recovered trusty sidekick fruit-named product (others are available) and made haste for a rather nice pint of warm real ale to mark the milestone (for the first time, much more celebrating to be done yet!)

Good luck to the others in the K1 Class of 2010!! Stay focussed and you'll hopefully have an experience similar to that of my own

Thanks to all the heavy hitters on this forum, especially Noorah101, jeffreyhy, ian-mstm & meauxna, your combined knowledge is awesome. Special thanks to YWFWT & MandyNi, as I'm not that far behind you both, you've both been my "watching brief" over the past few months; I'm sure I'll continue to watch as I move from K1 to AOS.

Note for new forumites - contrary to the beliefs of some, perhaps because it may not be the answer you WANT to hear, 99.9% of the information you need is on this forum somewhere. If it isn't, someone on here will know how to acquire it. There are some very wise & experienced people on here, most of whom have been through some type of immigration process in some way. I encourage you to use the Wiki and Search functions of this site, ask if you really can't find what you are looking for.
thanks for the write up - didnt realise that gould's only opens at 8.30am, our appointment is at 8.00, does that mean we have no options at all for our phones etc other than to leave at home??
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You're very welcome, and many congratulations! Great write up!

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

ChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura aboutChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura aboutChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by frank09
thanks for the write up - didnt realise that gould's only opens at 8.30am, our appointment is at 8.00, does that mean we have no options at all for our phones etc other than to leave at home??
Hi frank09,

Have a look here on the right, they open @ 7.30am most of the time

http://www.gouldpharmacy.com/ContactUs.asp

Good luck with the appointment.

CD
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You're very welcome, and many congratulations! Great write up!

Rene
Thanks Rene, was the least I could do for having "lurked" for so long!

I'm sure I'll be back again after more "observation"

CD
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of

Hi frank09,

Have a look here on the right, they open @ 7.30am most of the time

http://www.gouldpharmacy.com/ContactUs.asp

Good luck with the appointment.

CD
Thanks! The google search page shows 8.30 but youre right - the website itself shows 7.30 - will be calling them tomorrow. Write ups like yours are extremely helpful for those of us with our interviews approaching (less than 2 weeks!!). I am having nightmares about ICL, especially as it'll be me as the accompanying USC, my wife and the kids, and an 8am start so extra chances of causing irritability! My wife is convinced that she'll be asked "easy" questions that she'll be too flustered to answer. Very little sleep happening here!

Really happy for you that yours was relatively painless and quite quick considering others experiences.

Incidentally, is 8am the earliest appointment time and if so is it likely for us to be seen quicker.. Or could it just mean we have a much longer stay at the embassy!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by frank09
Write ups like yours are extremely helpful for those of us with our interviews approaching (less than 2 weeks!!). I am having nightmares about ICL, especially as it'll be me as the accompanying USC, my wife and the kids, and an 8am start so extra chances of causing irritability! My wife is convinced that she'll be asked "easy" questions that she'll be too flustered to answer. Very little sleep happening here!

Really happy for you that yours was relatively painless and quite quick considering others experiences.

Incidentally, is 8am the earliest appointment time and if so is it likely for us to be seen quicker.. Or could it just mean we have a much longer stay at the embassy!
Absolutely, hence why this forum works so well; lots of very detailed and recent experiences, the not so good stuff too, help us to remain focussed on the task at hand and get the job done

As said so many times on here before, I think the key here is to only answer the question being asked. Have an answer ready for EVERY question folks on here have reported as being asked, even the easy ones. That way, you (your wife) won't get caught out. My rule has always been one of the 7 P's - Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents P*ss Poor Performance! If you do get ICL, she is only human too after all, in fact, she actually came round to the customer side of the window to talk to one guy whilst I was there, she can't be all that bad?!

I do believe 8am is the earliest, can't see the staff being in there before that given the amount they've got to get through in a day, 5 days a week; that place is BUSY!! IIRC, there was a family going through at about the same time as me. I'm not so sure they'll "see you earlier" but I do believe you'll be one of, if not, the first. They appear to be fairly accommodating, as far as they can, to families; there was another couple there, lady was very heavily pregnant, they "expedited" her through the line outside so they could have her sit down inside Notwithstanding everyone else's appointment times of course, they really do their best in there and given their workload, it is to be commended, a rather slick operation indeed. Of course, you can never tell how long each person's case will take. So, having an 8am appointment can only help, you should be in and out quite quickly
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:56 am
N.Ireland / NJ

Chrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud of

Wow, such an awesome write up!!

Thanks for sharing all the info and bringing hope to a few of us 'beginners'
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant write up CD and congrats!! It does sound like there will be a few of us AOS'in at within a similar time. I've already printed off all the stuff that Pepsi Chic has on her very helpful link and started to complete which I can in pencil. I find getting familiar with the forms etc. takes some of the worry away and I kind of know what's missing, what else is to come.

Hmmmm I was thinking I'm going to print off my interview experience post here so I can scrapbook it for remembering way off in to the future!!