Wikiposts

K1 visa issues

Old May 12th 2004, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice
Default K1 visa issues

This may seem like a strange question but does anyone know if after receiving a K1 Visa can I enter the US on the VWP, then leave the country and a few weeks later re-enter on the K1 visa and get my temp EAD ?

Niall

Last edited by MrDub; May 12th 2004 at 3:31 am.
Old May 12th 2004, 3:08 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: K1 visa issues

Originally posted by MrDub
This may seem like a strange question but does anyone know if after recieving a K1 Visa I can enter the US on the VWP, then leave the country and a few weeks later re-enter on the K1 visa and get my temp EAD ?

Niall
Nope a K1 is good for one entry only. However I realise what your trying to do. Perhaps if you have 2 passports you could use one to enter the U.S. initially, and then the one with the K1 the 2nd time?

I don't remember if you were a dual national?
Old May 12th 2004, 3:12 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

This may seem like a strange question but does anyone know if after recieving a K1 Visa I can enter the US on the VWP, then leave the country and a few weeks later re-enter on the K1 visa and get my temp EAD ?

Niall
Hi:

Notionally speaking, it should be possible. But it is entirely up to the CBP inspector at the airport and what she says is what happens.
Old May 12th 2004, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice

Originally posted by mcjimbo
Nope a K1 is good for one entry only. However I realise what your trying to do. Perhaps if you have 2 passports you could use one to enter the U.S. initially, and then the one with the K1 the 2nd time?

I don't remember if you were a dual national?

Im dual Irish and British, though I only have a british passport at the moment.

I could get an Irish passport but surely they could tell my visa status when they scan it at immigration ? I assume all information they have under my name i.e. two passports would come up on their screen, but maybe this method of entry, having a K1 stamp in one passport and use the other on the VWP is acceptable under their rules?.

Maybe I should phone the US embassy for confirmation.
Old May 12th 2004, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Notionally speaking, it should be possible. But it is entirely up to the CBP inspector at the airport and what she says is what happens.
Yes, this is what I fear. I guess it is not worth the risk at this stage of the process.

Thanks,
Niall
Old May 12th 2004, 3:29 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

Im dual Irish and British, though I only have a british passport at the moment.

I could get an Irish passport but surely they could tell my visa status when they scan it at immigration ? I assume all information they have under my name i.e. two passports would come up on their screen, but maybe this method of entry, having a K1 stamp in one passport and use the other on the VWP is acceptable under their rules?.

Maybe I should phone the US embassy for confirmation.
Nial,

It wouldn't matter, because you would be entering the country on say your Irish passport on the VWP. Then leaving with the correct period, then re-entering say on your British passport with the K1 visa.

So even if there computer did bring you up, you wouldn't of done anything wrong. I think you should apply for an irish passport and go this way, but as Folinskyinla the officer at POE might let you enter on a VWP and not process your K1, but can you afford to take that risk?
Old May 12th 2004, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by mcjimbo
Nial,

It wouldn't matter, because you would be entering the country on say your Irish passport on the VWP. Then leaving with the correct period, then re-entering say on your British passport with the K1 visa.

So even if there computer did bring you up, you wouldn't of done anything wrong. I think you should apply for an irish passport and go this way, but as Folinskyinla the officer at POE might let you enter on a VWP and not process your K1, but can you afford to take that risk?

In a word NO !