Wikiposts

K1 visa issue

Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

chrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nice
Default K1 visa issue

Once we go through the process at the US embassy in london and if everything goes to plan and smoothly and the visa is issued, then from that date how long is it valdi for? Also does the valdity include the 90 days to get married?

Thanks.
Chris
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 visa issue

Once you enter the US (the K-1 is a one-time only entry) then you have to get married within 90 days of the entry date. I believe that the K-1 visa itself is valid for 6 months but other will correct me if I'm wrong. So within 6 months you must enter and then from that entry date you'll have 90 days to get married and apply for SSN, AOS etc.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlanR
Once you enter the US (the K-1 is a one-time only entry) then you have to get married within 90 days of the entry date. I believe that the K-1 visa itself is valid for 6 months but other will correct me if I'm wrong. So within 6 months you must enter and then from that entry date you'll have 90 days to get married and apply for SSN, AOS etc.
Sounds right to me.

You can apply for the SSN when before you marry though, 10 days after arrival is best because then you're in their system.

For a female, makes it much simpler to apply for the SSN before she changes her name upon marriage (if she does).
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:40 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisandjulie
... from that date how long is it valdi for?
Six months.

... does the valdity include the 90 days to get married?
No.

Ian
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:54 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlanR
So within 6 months you must enter and then from that entry date you'll have 90 days to get married and apply for SSN, AOS etc.
Just to clear any possible confusion over this, the 90 day limit only applies to getting married. You don't need to have applied for an SSN or submitted your AoS application within the 90 day validity period of the K1 visa.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knight
Just to clear any possible confusion over this, the 90 day limit only applies to getting married. You don't need to have applied for an SSN or submitted your AoS application within the 90 day validity period of the K1 visa.
However, your life will be much simpler if you do so within the 90 days.

If the K-1 expires, and the alien has not yet applied for AOS, I wonder if they would be able to get a SSN at that point. I'm not sure they wouldn't, but I wonder...

I personally would advise applying for the SSN as soon as possible, and the AOS reasonable soon after marriage. There are various beaurocratic hassles that might occur otherwise.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:34 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

If the immigration document is within 14 days of expiring, SSA will not issue an account.

K-1s must apply for their SSN in their first 76 days or wait until they have an EAD or Green Card.