Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 Visa Interview - My experience.

Wikiposts

K1 Visa Interview - My experience.

Old Jan 9th 2010, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute
Default K1 Visa Interview - My experience.

I promised to share my visa interview experience for here goes!

I arrived down by the Embassy at 8.15am, a little early for my 9.00am appointment but headed to Goulds for pics and to leave my phone. Got back to the Embassy by 8.30 and joined a short queue outside. Probably about 12 to 15 people ahead of me, the security guy checked my letter and passport. It was freezing cold so very glad that this took about 5 to 10 mins max.

Then went round to the visa side of the building, showed my letter and got my “I” number and took a seat in the waiting area. I’d say there were maybe 150 people already there seated, and by the look of the screen, most of those were for “N” visa. The N numbers seems to be rattling through really quickly, but the I’s were both slow and few and far between.

I waited until and was eventually called to window 13 (I did wonder if they had a lucky/unlucky 13 lol!) where a young man asked for the various certificates and copies etc. I had it all in the right order thank’s to the anal posting from YWFWT (just joking girl, that was so helpful in not flicking backwards and forwards!!) and then we got to the part I was somewhat stressed about the I134 and substantiating evidence. Not that M. can’t afford me, but if you read my other post you’ll know he has been procrastinating about his tax returns so I didn’t have 2008, his most up to date was 2007! Anyway the young man asked for the tax returns, I gave 2007, he asked if it was latest I had available and I confirm it was. He flicked through it and I asked if he wanted the employers letter or payslips, he said no!

He gave me my x-ray from the medical and a pink sheet to complete with regard to the courier service and told me to wait back in the seating area. It was about another hour before I got called to the interview with the consular officer – very pleasant lady!

She tried to take my fingerprints (they’ve had an upgrade apparently and were having problems all day!) and then got me to swear the oath.

Questions she asked – which I won’t give all my responses to:

. How did we meet
. Which online site was it
. Was this an American or international site
. when was that
. What first attracted me (I said smiling eyes) she laughed and said and
after the window shopping then what (I laughed and explained how he
had written a very lengthy profile which talked of his online experiences
and how it resonated with me) she asked good or bad (I said oh definitely
both)
. when did we meet in person
. we met relatively quickly (4 months) why was that
. when did we decide to get married
. again that was relatively quickly (7 months after initial meeting)
how did I know I was ready for life with him, in a foreign country
. she then said she normally asks what people like least about their
fiancé(e) but I talked about his hoarding so she said “I guess you already
covered that” and we laughed at me saying he swears he’s reformed but I
suspect it could be an ongoing battle!
. she said I see you work as XXXX, what do you plan to do in the US (I
commented of being registered for the US equiv professional body and
needing to do exams if I wish to practise)
. she then confirmed that we both knew I would be unable to work for a
while

Then she said the magic words “well I so no reason why this shouldn’t be approved” and explained the next steps of the process – about the brown envelop, having to marry within 90 days etc. etc., which all went a bit over my head as I was surprised it had been that easy. I’d expected more questions about the need for more I134 evidence or pics, email or other things to affirm an ongoing relationship but she asked for no more.

So there you have it – not at all painful, relatively quick apart from the waiting and the right result!

Good luck to the others in the K1 Class of 2010!!
Old Jan 9th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Visa Interview - My experience.

Great write up Mandy and once again congratulations!! How does it feel to have the proverbial millstone removed from around your neck?!!

Now onto the next stage(s) of the journey

ps I noticed in your other post about your house - have you considered renting it out until the market picks up to sell it in a few years? That's what I decided to do in the end.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

I've thought about the renting but not sure as I understand there are bigger tax penalties if I sell it whilst I'm living as a PR in the US. Something about having to pay both tax in the UK and the US??

Not certain as that is one of those next stage things you mention lol. Investigating the whole finances, bank, transferring of funds etc.!! Oh joy
Old Jan 9th 2010, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
I've thought about the renting but not sure as I understand there are bigger tax penalties if I sell it whilst I'm living as a PR in the US. Something about having to pay both tax in the UK and the US??

Not certain as that is one of those next stage things you mention lol. Investigating the whole finances, bank, transferring of funds etc.!! Oh joy
Well technically there is an agreement between the UK & USA whereby, in theory, most people would not get taxed twice (although there are exceptions and there are differences in tax liability between a PR and someone who goes for citizenship e.g UK government pensions can be taxed in both UK & USA until the PR becomes a USC).

If you want to go the renting route then apply to HMRC for an 'overseas landlord' application - basically it allows you to be paid rent gross by your tenant. Then, later, you complete forms from HMRC that then get processed by the IRS, too - I'm in the middle of all that now
Old Jan 9th 2010, 10:02 am
Just Joined

teamroberts is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: K1 Visa Interview - My experience.

Thanks for posting your experience here!!

My interview was on Thursday at 9:30. Pretty much the same thing going into the Embassy, got handed an 'I' number mine was I-869 (I think they started at like 850 that day and only went to 875 by the time I left), as Mandy already stated most numbers are N numbers and boy do they get through those! several hundred per day!

It would seem that they ask for different paperwork and different questions depending on who you speak to... I only got asked 2 questions.

When did you get engaged?
When did you first meet?

OH and then the consular officer ( a slightly older more chilled out gentleman) started to tell me about his experience working in the US Embassy in France (due to me rambling about my fiancee and I visiting Paris etc etc), and noting my profession (IT geek) he joked that I should come the other side of the counter to fix the new "upgrade" that's downing the systems globally!.

He then said the paperwork was all in order, handed back the pink form and explained about what happens when I get to the border! :-)

Total time at the embassy 4 hours... Total time with the staff / officer (about 20 minutes at both windows). Stressful and scary at the time but the staff are really nice! Just be prepared! Take EVERYTHING you have all paperwork but honestly, I got stressed about the I-134 and supporting evidence or lack of IRS returns, I had last years but not last 3, they just took payslips / W2's, my birth certificate, police cert and nothing else! I had hundreds of photos and email transcripts and skype bills and regular cell phone bills but not needed!

Good luck to everyone else this year!!

a most HAPPY new year to you all!!

God bless
Old Jan 9th 2010, 1:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
This is concerning Capital Gains Tax, and you'll want to check out the implications of selling once you are a PR.

Great write up!