Reload this Page >

K1 Visa interview- London Embassy

K1 Visa interview- London Embassy

Old Aug 5th 2011, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

AndyW149 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 Visa interview- London Embassy

Hi all,

When I was in the application process for my K1 fiance visa I came onto this site fairly often for advice or just to make myself feel a bit better by reading stuff from people who had done the same (or similar) thing as I was doing.

Well, I had my visa interview at the Embassy in London yesterday morning and I thought I would come on here and share my experience of the day. I got up at 5:30am (I'm not going to complain because I at least live close enough to London to get the train in on the day!), got the train into St. Pancras, dropped a bag with my electronics in at left luggage and hopped onto the tube with my Oyster card and made it to the Embassy nice and early. My appointment was 9am I got there at around 8am. It was raining, naturally! Luckily I lined up outside just before loads of people showed up so I wasn't outside for too long (around 15 minutes probably). I would have got in quicker had some idiotic woman not shown up with every single electronic device known to man (I thought I even saw a Sat Nav at one point!). So anyways, I went through the security check and got inside pretty quickly and was given my number for the day. Immigrant visas start with an 'I', non-immigrant with an 'N' and so on. Anyways, I was I913 and when I first got in the system was calling out at around N15/N16 and around I901/I902. Basically what was happening was that all the non-immigrant visas were being seen at windows 1-11 for the first phase (there are two phases) and immigrant visas at windows 12-14. So although I was only number 13 in the Immigrant queue I had to wait forever to be seen (around 1 hour 30) whilst pretty much every non immigrant applicant who came in barely touched their arse onto a seat and they were back up again looking all pleased with themselves as they walked towards their allotted window.

Anyways, after my wait I was called to one of the windows round the corner (obviously the immigrant application windows for the day) and the guy (who I am pretty sure wasn't even American by the way, although pretty nice) basically just took all of my paperwork, MRV receipt, birth certificate, police certificate, financial forms etc, my new and old passport (old passport only because I had some old J1 visas). The only questions he asked really were about the financial support forms and what they were (letter from fiancee's employer, bank statements, divorce decree stating how much child support she gets each month etc). He then asked some routine questions which I can't really remember now, pretty sure they were along the lines of have you ever been convicted of a crime, ever been refused any visas etc etc etc. They were all easy and didn't require much thought at all. He took another passport photo from me. At this point I would like to say I sent in my forms (Ds 156, 157 etc) with two BRITISH passport sized photos. I then (after I sent them off) realised I needed AMERICAN sized passport photos so I got those done, printed off whichever form you need to staple/stick them on (I forget!) again and took it with me incase I needed them (you need two copies of that form). He didn't say anything about it and I could see through the window where the Embassy officials had signed over my original forms & British passport sized photo. As I said, he didn't even say anything about the size, just that he needed another one! I gave him one of the American ones (mainly because I didn't want to feel as if I had wasted money getting them!).

He then gave me the courier form I needed to fill out and asked me to take a seat while they looked over my application. I went and sat down, bought a coffee (1.50) and filled out the form. I got called back up about 45 minutes later to the second window. There I was asked to raise my right hand and swear that I have told the truth to the best of my knowledge and that all the forms are correct to the best of my knowledge etc etc etc (all very American). The lady then asked me a couple of questions (where I met my fiancee etc etc). She tried tripping my up by asking about my fiancee's son (she has a daughter). So make sure you are on your toes at this point! Just keep your answers short and to the point (and truthful obviously). She then said that it had been approved and I would receive my passport back in probably 7-10 days. I was pleasantly surprised at how quick it was and also at how little they asked of me. No evidence of continuing relationship, no real explanation of financial support forms, no nothing! Just a couple of routine questions about our relationship. All the staff were pretty friendly and helpful and wished me good luck and stuff. As long as you prepare properly and follow instructions properly then you will be fine.

I can't wait for my wedding and honeymoon in Florida!!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Visa interview- London Embassy

Originally Posted by AndyW149
She then said that it had been approved and I would receive my passport back in probably 7-10 days.
Great news! Congratulations.

Ian
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

At this point I would like to say I sent in my forms (Ds 156, 157 etc) with two BRITISH passport sized photos. I then (after I sent them off) realised I needed AMERICAN sized passport photos so I got those done, printed off whichever form you need to staple/stick them on (I forget!) again and took it with me incase I needed them (you need two copies of that form).
Ooh, I didn't even realise there was a difference. Where were you able to get American sized ones done?
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:20 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

A good report.

Quite often, the first person one sees is not an American. They will most often be an "FSN" employee. [If the employee is an American, they are often the spouse of US government or military person stationed abroad]. This person simply does "ministerial" actions of just seeing that the paperwork is in order.

On the photographs, this used to be a big problem because the photo would be scanned for production of the green card and the card production machinery was sensitive. Now, the process included taking a pic and fingerprint.

Your advice on interviews is right on the money. My personal holy trinity is 1. Tell the truth, 2. make sure you understand the question asked and 3. answer only the question actually asked. This will often lead to short succinct answers.

On the "trip up" question, I don't think it was meant that way at all.

Quite often, the actual interview is anticlimactic. If the paperwork is in order, looks reasonable and the applicant is quite presentable, the interview need not be all that probing. Sometimes, one just runs into a ConOff who is suspicious for some reason or just got up on the wrong side of the bed that morning.

It does pay to bring some light reading -- a paperback or some novel.

Congratulations.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

AndyW149 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
Ooh, I didn't even realise there was a difference. Where were you able to get American sized ones done?
There is actually some advice about where to go on the London Embassy website. There are some random places dotted about the country, but the nationwide chain Snappy Snaps is probably best. I went to the one in Milton Keynes. It's more expensive that getting standard British ones. It was 20quid for 4 pics, but peace of mind is priceless, so it probably is worth it just in case they decide to be pedantic about it!
P.s. If you go on the American Embassy website for your own country, it probably says about it on there

Last edited by AndyW149; Aug 5th 2011 at 3:43 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Where were you able to get American sized ones done?
My advice? Digital camera, inkjet printer, and photo paper. There is no requirement that the pics must be done by someone else... and as long as they meet the requirements, they'll be fine. Most photo software (even the rudimentary stuff) can resize the photos prior to printing. This has the added advantage of you being absolutely satisfied that the photos meet the requirements before sending them off... and you can do reprints at no additional cost.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Aug 5th 2011 at 4:24 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

katiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you for posting this! My fiance and I love being able to read through other people's experiences so he can be preparing for what he has to go through! It's really helpful!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

There is actually some advice about where to go on the London Embassy website. There are some random places dotted about the country, but the nationwide chain Snappy Snaps is probably best. I went to the one in Milton Keynes. It's more expensive that getting standard British ones. It was 20quid for 4 pics, but peace of mind is priceless, so it probably is worth it just in case they decide to be pedantic about it!
P.s. If you go on the American Embassy website for your own country, it probably says about it on there
Thanks Andy, I will check that out. I hate Snappy Snaps, though, because they have a person take the photos rather than a machine (well, the one in Oxford does anyway), which means I can't re-take them 27 times before printing to satisfy my vanity.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
My advice? Digital camera, inkjet printer, and photo paper. There is no requirement that the pics must be done by someone else... and as long as they meet the requirements, they'll be fine. Most photo software (even the rudimentary stuff) can resize the photos prior to printing. This has the added advantage of you being absolutely satisfied that the photos meet the requirements before sending them off... and you can do reprints at no additional cost.
Great, thanks, it's good to know that they don't have to be done at a photo booth. I guess airbrushing constitutes identity fraud though, right?
Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

I guess airbrushing constitutes identity fraud though, right?
Actually, no... not unless you're trying to look like someone else!

Ian
Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Actually, no... not unless you're trying to look like someone else!
Awesome. These are going to be my best passport photos ever!
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

bivlover is an unknown quantity at this point

Gould Pharmacy, literally just round the corner from the embassy, is much cheaper than Snappy Snaps.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

tria is a jewel in the roughtria is a jewel in the roughtria is a jewel in the roughtria is a jewel in the roughtria is a jewel in the rough

Hello

Im new on this forum and have found it very helpful im currently in london and at the last stages of the k1 visa process. I have a few questions if some one could help me.

Ive had my medical it was all clear ive to send off the package with the ds- 2001 saying that im ready for my interview which i will be doing tomorrow.

Can any one please tell me if i will have to wait a month for the interview like it says on the offical us embassy web site or is there a chance that i will get a date b4 a months time

Thans in advance for any responses
Old Sep 11th 2011, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tria
Hello

Can any one please tell me if i will have to wait a month for the interview like it says on the offical us embassy web site or is there a chance that i will get a date b4 a months time

Thans in advance for any responses
Likely you won't get an appointment letter for 2-3 weeks. And the interview may be a month from that. It's not a fast turn-around these days. But you could tell them (cover letter) you plan to marry October 15 and would be willing to take a short notice appointment if there are cancellation slots. Include your email address.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:55 am
Just Joined

DB10AFC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tria,

I had my medical on 24th August and had sent off my ds-2001 a few days before that. I received my interview letter last Friday and my interview is scheduled for 21st Sept, which is less than 2 weeks after the letter was received. This was a pleasant surprise as I was expecting it to be about a month after I received the letter as stated on the website.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 2:31 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, it is common for US workers to get back into the swing of things after the US "Labor Day" holiday at the beginning of September. So staffing levels return to normal. The pending end of the Government Fiscal Year often has an impact [either lack of $ for overtime, or a rush to spend the allocated funds while they still have them -- it can work both ways.]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.