Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 visa interview documents

K1 visa interview documents

Old Mar 2nd 2014, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute
Default K1 visa interview documents

My K1 visa interview is in just under 3 weeks time on March 21st and I want to make sure I have all the necessary documents. My USC fiancée will be attending with me.

Here's the list of documents as prescribed in the Immigrant / Fiancé(e) Visa Interview Checklist - it calls for originals and photocopies of each:

Passport - Is it just the photo & biographic pages that need copying?

Birth certificate - long form

Marriage certificate - I believe from previous enquiries that this isn't required for the K1 visa but I'll have it available in the unlikely event they ask for it

Change of name documentation - not applicable to my case

Police certificate - I've only ever lived in the UK so only need the one

Military record - not applicable to my case

2 US passport-style photos

Affidavit of support - I-134 in my case, original, signed by my future f-i-l. For supporting evidence I have a) a copy only (no original) of a letter from his employer stating salary etc, b) copies only (no original) of his last three years tax return transcripts (incidentally the most recent one I have covers the period up to Dec 31 2012 but has a received date of Apr 15 2013 so I'm assuming it IS the most recent one at this point in time), c) copies only of his three most recent online 'pay stubs' and d) copies of the biographical/photo pages of his US passport. During my researches I found this post that said the interviewee was asked for an I-134 filled in by their fiancé(e) even though they'd already supplied one from a relative. I will be taking a statement signed by my fiancée stating that she has never earned enough to be required to file a tax return, her one and only Irish end-of-year tax statement showing the little she earned and a copy of the IRS document showing the relevant (1998) level of income above which you were required to file a return. Do you think getting her to fill in an I-134 is worthwhile?

In addition to all this we will be taking the confirmation page from the DS-160 online visa application process, the K1 visa online payment confirmation page and my fiancée's US passport.

Although I can't find a definitive request for it other than various threads on here, I believe I'm required (or advised) to bring original documents of any copies we supplied earlier in the process. For us this would mean

a) Fiancée's US birth certificate,

b) My divorce decree - the original was sent in response to an RFE. I have another certified copy which I'll take even though I shouldn't need it,

c) My fiancée's divorce decree and

d) A council tax bill with our shared address and my will citing my fiancée as the beneficiary , both as evidence of having met in the last two years.

Is there any need to take any evidence of our ongoing relationship given that we're going together? We live together and could take newer utility bills. I don't believe we need to update our 'intent to marry' statement, do we?

I can't remember where the requirement is but I believe we need to bring the NoA 2 I-129F petition approval letter and/or the first letter from the London consular section inviting me to apply for the visa.

We'll be taking all of our immigration documentation and correspondence with us but would like to put everything that is likely to be required into a separate, organised pack.

Is there anything we've overlooked? Any comments would be welcomed.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 visa interview documents

Originally Posted by technolog
Passport - Is it just the photo & biographic pages that need copying?
Yes.

Marriage certificate...
I really hope you don't have a marriage certificate... because that means you're married, which completely invalidates the entire K-1 process.

... the most recent one I have covers the period up to Dec 31 2012 but has a received date of Apr 15 2013 so I'm assuming it IS the most recent one at this point in time...
Yes. There's no requirement to have the 2013 tax return available unless your interview is after April 15, 2014.

Do you think getting her to fill in an I-134 is worthwhile?
While it's probably worthwhile, there's no requirement since she hasn't had sufficient income to file US tax returns. Still... it wouldn't hurt!

I believe I'm required (or advised) to bring original documents of any copies we supplied earlier in the process.
Yes.

Is there any need to take any evidence of our ongoing relationship given that we're going together?
Not really, no.

I don't believe we need to update our 'intent to marry' statement, do we?
No, unless it's been more than 4 months since the I-129F was approved.

I believe we need to bring the NoA 2 I-129F petition approval letter and/or the first letter from the London consular section inviting me to apply for the visa.
I can't remember either... but if you have them, bring them!

Ian
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 12:35 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes.

I really hope you don't have a marriage certificate... because that means you're married, which completely invalidates the entire K-1 process.

He means from his first marriage Ian. I'm going to take mine together with my divorce decree just for completeness sake, pretty sure they won't want to see it!

And the NOA2 is for the AOS stage but it wouldn't hurt to take it. I'm going to take all my immigration paperwork with me
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Thanks for the response, Ian. The marriage certificate is from my previous marriage and I suspect, requested for the CR1 visa. Or are you just teasing me

So no obvious flaws in my strategy?
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
He means from his first marriage Ian. I'm going to take mine together with my divorce decree just for completeness sake, pretty sure they won't want to see it!

And the NOA2 is for the AOS stage but it wouldn't hurt to take it. I'm going to take all my immigration paperwork with me
Thanks BunnyGirl.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The marriage certificate is from my previous marriage and I suspect, requested for the CR1 visa.
Well, you weren't specific... so I wanted to make sure! As I recall for my K-1, I didn't require the marriage certificate from my prior marriage either (just as well really, because I didn't have it), but I did take the divorce decree to my interview!

So no obvious flaws in my strategy?
I don't see anything glaring... so I think you're in good shape!

Ian
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 3:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

d) A council tax bill with our shared address and my will citing my fiancée as the beneficiary , both as evidence of having met in the last two years.
You've already passed the "met within the past two years" criteria; that evidence was sent in with the I-129F. So what you might need to show now, is that you still have an ongoing relationship, which both of those documents seem to show, especially since you're living together now.

Is there any need to take any evidence of our ongoing relationship given that we're going together? We live together and could take newer utility bills. I don't believe we need to update our 'intent to marry' statement, do we?
Yes, bring proof of your ongoing relationship. Better safe than sorry, in case they ask for such. If the I-129F petition has expired, then yes, bring updated "intent to marry" statements.

Rene
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If the I-129F petition has expired, then yes, bring updated "intent to marry" statements.
Thanks Rene. The petition approval was dated 3rd Jan so we're well inside the 4 month limit.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene. The petition approval was dated 3rd Jan so we're well inside the 4 month limit.
I took previous marriage certificate with divorce decree but they weren't interested in the marriage docs - important you take the divorce decree though.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

My interview is this Friday. I've just read a thread about a DCF interview and it mentioned proof of intent to domicile. I'm fairly sure I don't need this for the K1 route but could somebody allay my fears please?
Old Mar 17th 2014, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

I'm fairly sure I don't need this for the K1 route...
Correct.

Ian
Old Mar 17th 2014, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Uh-oh. It seems the last minute panics, jitters and self-doubts have started early
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

My interview is this Friday. I've just read a thread about a DCF interview and it mentioned proof of intent to domicile. I'm fairly sure I don't need this for the K1 route but could somebody allay my fears please?
I think it's a parallel to 'Letter of intent' that you will have supplied with your I-129F petition. I don't think it's required for you - but I'm sure someone else will confirm that.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Musical is an unknown quantity at this point

...just wanted to wish you 'good luck' for Friday. I've been watching your journey with interest, it has been most helpful to me so far. I hope everything goes well.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

dragon4609 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,

I had my visa interview last Thursday and it was very straight forward. It looks like you have all the docs required. They did not ask for the DS 160, I-129F and previous tax returns. They did ask for the I-134 Affidavit of Support and the letter from her employer. (My application did go over the deadline by 1 month)

When you arrive, you need to have your appointment letter and passport checked before joining the next queue which takes you through security. I was waiting about 45 mins before I get in the building. Wait for your number to come up and then go to the window and show your documentation and finally another 30 mins wait until your interview.

The interview was very quick, she just asked me simple questions which you will know if your relationship is genuine.

How did you meet?
What does you partner do?
When did you meet?
When did you get engaged?

Good Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.