Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 Visa interview - Approved! (plus my Medical experience)

Wikiposts

K1 Visa interview - Approved! (plus my Medical experience)

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 3:22 am
Just Joined

Mestiza is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking K1 Visa interview - Approved! (plus my Medical experience)

I thought I'd add my medical appointment experience too since all the more info to add to this wonderful forum

Prepare for a long read...

The Medical

My medical was booked for Tuesday, 9th of March. I was prepared, had my vaccination list ready from my doctor, who kindly checked the vaccinations needed on her computer and had me up to date with them. I also had 1 passport photo (it was UK sized), my glasses and contact lens boxes with me (although I didn't need them), asthma inhalers, my passport and my appointment letter.

I got off at Bond Street tube station and it took me a little while to find the Knightsbridge Doctors building down Bentinck street as I was expecting a huge sign saying 'KNIGHTSBRIDGE DOCTORS.' But little did I know, it was what looked like a house/apartment building, and Knightsbridge Doctors was written on the tiny residence list plate on the wall where the doorbells were.

My appointment was for 13:10, and I was still around 10 minutes early or more when I arrived. The receptionist was very friendly, she took my medical questionnaire I filled in at home (form IV18a), the 1 passport photo, and photocopied my passport. She told me to have a seat in the waiting room on the right and complete another (different) medical questionnaire (I've taken this type of questionnaire prior to seeing a new dentist and a new salon beautician). I completed it within a minute or so and returned it back to her. She told me my vaccinations were up to date and advised me to have a seat and I'd be called through soon.
The waiting room was like a lounge with comfy sofa's and a relaxed atmosphere, I was much too used to the usual dreary waiting areas of Doctor's surgeries!

About 10-15 minutes later I was called through by a lady who would be taking my chest x-ray. She didn't really greet, but seemed to be the 'get it over and done with' type. She asked if my height and weight were taken lately, whether it was the same as on the IV18a questionnaire I wrote down, then told me to undress behind the curtain and put a thin blue robe on.
She took my chest x-ray, though when I turned around she saw I was still wearing my necklace and said "Oh you left your chain on, ugh.. now we need to do it again." She didn't advise me beforehand to take any jewelry off so I didn't know

After my chest x-ray was taken again, she sent me off to another waiting room just outside on the left and said I'll be seen to soon.
I was waiting around 20 minutes before I was called through by a lady doctor (I never saw one male doctor/nurse walking around during my visit) who checked my weight and asked about my Asthma and Asthma inhalers. I e-mailed them prior to my appointment as I wasn't sure I needed medical records or not, but they advised I didn't need any since it wasn't chronic and I hadn't been in hospital since I was 5 years old (16 years ago). She also asked me to cover 1 eye at a time and read letters off the board just like at the opticians. I also signed my signature on my passport photo that was clipped to my medical information she had.
Next I had to sit on the bed where she checked my breathing and felt my stomach (robe kept on at all times), then took my blood pressure. Lastly she took like the teeniest.. amount of blood from my arm. I was expecting 2 big tubes to be taken like at sexual health tests but the tube looked literally an inch long, painless!

After all that, I was told I can get dressed and go back to the receptionist where I paid my £190 medical fee, and received back a document that showed my vaccinations were up to date and the amount I paid. The receptionist told me my medical information will be sent through to the US Embassy in (I think she said) 5 days and wished me good luck for my interview the following week. I was off on my way home by around 14:30 ish!

The Interview

Now for my interview at the US Embassy, which was the following Wednesday, 17th of March.

I had an appointment for 08:00 so I was up at 04:30 to take the 06:12 train into London from where I live in Essex. My father works in London so he accompanied me on the way to the Embassy (actually I wanted him to come so he could take my electronic stuff with him before I go in!) I wasn't too fond of leaving a couple hundred quids worth of electronic devices at a pharmacy and he agreed. We arrived outside the Embassy at around 07:45 where there were around 10 people queuing to go in and having their passport and visa interview letter checked. As my father left to run his errands, I queued up, had my passport and interview letter checked, then proceeded through to a small glass room where I dropped my handbag and documents I was carrying, on to the conveyer to be scanned (just like at the airport), and walked through a metal detector.

Once through, I followed the plenty directions they had scattered around, pointing you to the visa part of the Embassy which was on the right side of the building (theres no way you can get lost). Through the glass doors was a lady at a desk who looked at my interview letter and gave me an 'I' number, mine was I-856 (the time now was 07:59). I walked up the stairs on the left, through another set of glass doors and saw the huge room everyone had talked about in their visa interview experiences on here! A big hall with lots of seats, lots of people, and TV screens in the middle, where the numbers appear. Yes, VERY similar to Argos.
I took a seat a row before the back and nervously fumbled about with my belongings till I was comfy. I tried reading an OK! magazine I picked up in Boots on the way to the Embassy after realising I'd left my lovely novel I was reading at home But I couldn't read a single thing as I was so nervous and there were numbers constantly being called out. All I could do was look at the pictures and tell myself I'd give this to my mum after as she loves these magazines..

Lots of N numbers were being called, I'd say for every I number, 20 or so N numbers we're called out (I'm guessing these are visitor visas?) and on the rare occasion an E number was called out (retirement/investment visas?). I-851 was called on the dot at 08:00, and I watched as slowly, through all the N numbers, I-851.. (lots of N numbers) I-852.. etc, then finally my I-856 to window 14 at around 09:00 or 09:15, actually it might have been earlier. (I don't know the EXACT time, my watch is on Californian time.. strangely I didn't check the time often )
I was greeted by a friendly American lady. She took my passport and interview letter then went to get my file, followed by taking my fingerprints and handing me back my x-ray from my medical (to be packed in my luggage when I leave for America). She took a while organizing stuff and I joked that I don't know how they keep track of so many forms.. She said shes only been working there for a few weeks and it was hard at first. I asked how long she'd been here in the UK and she said she did a similar thing as I'm doing, except she married a British man, didn't need an interview, and it took 4 months! (jealous so quick..!)
She took out a checklist *was attempting to read everything from upside down* and started asking me for the stuff I brought:

Birth certificate (and copy)
Police certificate (and copy)
3 Passport photos. I had 2 US sized photos as I thought I only needed 2, but I carried my last UK sized one I had left and she asked another lady who said its ok and directed her to which ones to put on which forms. (phew)
She asked when I was planning to leave for the US and whether I had been married before.
Next she wanted the Affidavit of Support (form I-134) (and copy) Plus any supporting documents, I had them all: 3 years worth of Tax Returns, pay stubs that go back 2 years, and a letter from his current employer.
Finally she asked for an updated fiance letter of intent from my fiance as it had been a while since my forms were approved (back in July 09) My fiance's letter of intent was dated November 09 which she accepted.
As she received each document I gave her, she ticked it on her checklist.
Then she told me to go to the Cashier (2 windows to the left) and pay my visa fee and then return back to her. The lady at the cashier asked how I wanted to pay (cash, £86/equivalent $131) and gave me 2 receipts in return, one to keep and one to give back to the lady at window 14.
After returning to the lady at window 14, she gave me a pink courier form to fill in while waiting to get called for the 2nd part of the interview.

Passed by the toilets on the way back before sitting down to fill out my pink courier form and waiting for my I number to be called again. I sat thinking about what questions I might get asked and what I will answer, but nervousness and the loud numbers being called over the speaker made me lose my string of thought. Anyway I wasn't sat for long. Around 15 minutes later my number was called again, to window 16, where a friendly, smiley (Alec Baldwin type smiley!) American gentleman greeted me.
He took my middle-finger fingerprint, then gave me back my birth certificate and police report originals.
The guy spoke quite quietly when he talked, so I pretty much had my ear up to the glass window between us trying to hear, haha.
He got me to sign the unsigned form I sent in prior to my visa interview (I don't remember the form number) and to write my fiance's full name on the space provided on the form. (hand shaking in nervousness at this point)
He asked me to hold up my hand, swear by everything I was saying was true and correct and then asked me only 3 questions:
How long had we been engaged? (Stumped I'd be asked this and had to count the months)
When do I plan on leaving for the US?
How did we meet?
I explained to him through an online video game, then asked him if he wanted the whole story to which he said "ok, carry on "
He was happy with my love story of how my fiance and I met and told me that was it! He advised that when my passport is delivered back, there will be a brown sealed envelope that mustn't be opened by myself, but to be given to immigration at the port of entry on arrival in the US (oh my.. I'm thoroughly looking forward to walking through there again, holding this glorious visa in my hand and not worrying for once!!) He joked that theres no secret inside the envelope!
I'm guessing that before the consular officer calls you through, they look through all your visa documents and check for anything that is missing or questions that need asking, but alas he had none for me, meaning everything was there and correct! I had EVERYTHING my fiance or I had ever sent or received to do with my K1 visa in an envelope with me ready incase anything would be needed plus more recent evidence of my fiance and I together, but none of it was ever needed I would still definitely advise to bring those extra papers, especially if you're a worrywart like me!

Now all I needed to do was take my pink courier form to the DX Secure desk (where I queued for 15 minutes..ugh!) and was told my visa and passport will be delivered within 3-4 working days and that I could track it online.

I couldn't believe that was it.. and it was all over and done with now (until the AOS later this year!) and I was out of the Embassy at 10:00!

My K1 Visa timeline:

I-129f forms submitted by fiance in US: April 08 2009
USCIS processed: April 27 2009
NOA1 received to fiance in US: July 21 2009
NOA2 received to fiance in US: August 6 2009
NOA3 received to me in UK: August 13 2009
(Received NOA3 while on a 2 week holiday in Thailand, and was home for only 3 days before I was leaving to spend 3 months in the US with my fiance, so I didn't have time to prepare documents to send back till I was back in UK in December)
US Embassy sent a reminder of NOA3: November 18 2009
Sent forms and IV-15: 8 January 2010
Received interview letter: 12 February 2010
Medical appointment: 9 March 2010
Interview and approval: 17 March 2010
Received passport and visa in the post!: 22 March 2010
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:13 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Visa interview - Approved! (plus my Medical experience)

M,

NOAs are notices of action issued by USCIS Service Centers.

NOA1 is the petition Receipt Notice sent when they receive the petition.

NOA2 is the petition Approval Notice sent when they approve the petition (or, perhaps, denial notice if the don't approve).

What's this NOA3?

Regards, JEff

>
Originally Posted by Mestiza
My K1 Visa timeline:

I-129f forms submitted by fiance in US: April 08 2009
USCIS processed: April 27 2009
NOA1 received to fiance in US: July 21 2009
NOA2 received to fiance in US: August 6 2009
NOA3 received to me in UK: August 13 2009
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
M,

NOAs are notices of action issued by USCIS Service Centers.

NOA1 is the petition Receipt Notice sent when they receive the petition.

NOA2 is the petition Approval Notice sent when they approve the petition (or, perhaps, denial notice if the don't approve).

What's this NOA3?

Regards, JEff

>
Packet 3

I've seen NOA3 used a few times on here, maybe its wrong, but I mean to say packet 3 which advises you how to book the medical, prepare interview documents etc
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:39 am
I Still Remember

NAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really nice

Thanks for that post, Mestiza. I have my interview coming up in May so I'm always interested to read these.

Glad it all went well for you. Congrats.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 7:29 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

And congratulations on your visa approval.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Mestiza
Packet 3

I've seen NOA3 used a few times on here, maybe its wrong, but I mean to say packet 3 which advises you how to book the medical, prepare interview documents etc
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NAR14
Thanks for that post, Mestiza. I have my interview coming up in May so I'm always interested to read these.

Glad it all went well for you. Congrats.
Good luck for your interview in May! Honestly the worst part was waiting around for your number to be called.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Chris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud of

I have my interview on Thursday so I have been reading as many of these as possible over the last few weeks... I hope mine goes as smoothly as yours did... thank you for sharing your experience