Wikiposts

K1 visa help

Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

elleandkevin is just really niceelleandkevin is just really niceelleandkevin is just really niceelleandkevin is just really niceelleandkevin is just really niceelleandkevin is just really niceelleandkevin is just really niceelleandkevin is just really nice
Default K1 visa help

Hi Everyone,

Just about to start the journey of the K1 visa route. Known my fiance for over 4 years now. Want to start the process of my visa to go to the US. Was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of a really good immigration attorney over there?

Unsure whether to do it on our own or is it best to seek advise from the immigration attorneys???

Thanks
Elle
Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 visa help

Originally Posted by elleandkevin
Hi Everyone,

Just about to start the journey of the K1 visa route. Known my fiance for over 4 years now. Want to start the process of my visa to go to the US. Was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of a really good immigration attorney over there?

Unsure whether to do it on our own or is it best to seek advise from the immigration attorneys???

Thanks
Elle
The choice is really yours. Some people use attorneys, some don't. For the most part, if you can handle following directions, pay close attention to details, are organized, and have nothing in your past such as prior overstays in the USA or a criminal record, you could probably do it on your own. Others don't feel comfortable trying to follow the whole process, so leave it up to an attorney.

Either way, YOU should have a good undertstanding of how the whole process works, so you can stay on top of what your attorney is doing.

Try www.ailalawyer.com to start talking to attorneys, if you want.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just for the record, I started out using an attorney because I had no idea how to get started. I had a consultation and we decided on the K-1, then I hired her to do it. By the time I found out her fee only got me as far as getting the I-129F approved and there would be another fee for the next stage, I had found this forum and done a LOT of my own research and looking ahead, and decided I could do it on my own. I didn't continue with the attorney, and my husband just became a USC last year, so we did it all right on our own.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Unsure whether to do it on our own or is it best to seek advise from the immigration attorneys?
Even if you hire an immigration attorney, you are still responsible for ensuring that the forms are completed properly, that the correct fees are paid, and that the correct supporting documents are included. Having an attorney won't speed things up, nor will it guarantee that things will go smoothly for you.

That said, if having an attorney will help you sleep better at night, then go for it.

Ian
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

elleandkevin is just really niceelleandkevin is just really niceelleandkevin is just really niceelleandkevin is just really niceelleandkevin is just really niceelleandkevin is just really niceelleandkevin is just really niceelleandkevin is just really nice

Thank you everyone for your advise!

I appreciate the help you have all given. I will take it all on board and give it a good long think over with my fiance. Its all about doing it correctly without any mistakes. So glad i've have joined here

Thanks
Elle
Old Nov 15th 2010, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Its all about doing it correctly without any mistakes.
Cynical me would like to note that having no mistakes on the forms or the fees or anything from your end, doesn't necessarily translate into a smooth process. We've had lots of reports of people who are sent an RFE (Request for Further Evidence) even when everything was done correctly the first time. No one knows for sure why this happens, but it does. Once an RFE is received, all timelines fly out the window!

Ian
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:19 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Seek advice is a good idea. Have a consultation to discsuss the details of your situation, find out if there's anything in there that seems innocuous to you but could be a potential problem. Then, after having the consultation, you'll be in a better position to decide of you want to do it yourself or hire an attorney to help you.

One other thing to keep in mind is that even if you don't make any mistakes in your submissions, USCIS or consular people sometimes make mistakes in their processing. Should that happen it may be easier for an attorney to straighten things out than for you.

Regards, JEff

Hi Everyone,

Thanks
Elle
Old Nov 16th 2010, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No one knows for sure why this happens, but it does. Once an RFE is received, all timelines fly out the window!

Ian
I would like to has at a guess it is spot checking applications or something that that person has not mentioned just my opinion.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Wolfy
I would like to has at a guess it is spot checking applications or something that that person has not mentioned just my opinion.
Once an RFE is issued, the case probably goes to a different pile, and ends up outside the realm of "normal" processing.

Rene
Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:33 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone for your advise!

I appreciate the help you have all given. I will take it all on board and give it a good long think over with my fiance. Its all about doing it correctly without any mistakes. So glad i've have joined here

Thanks
Elle

Just to let you know, the hardest part of the Fiancee Visa is not the completion and filing of the I-129F and the 2 G-325A's but your fiancee's end in the UK when they have to do their documents and medical and attend their interview at the US Consulate.