Wikiposts

K1 visa forms

Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

pinky79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 visa forms

I am just in the process of completing the various forms for the K1 visa & am unsure of a couple of things:

1. Evidence of financial support - does this have to be via a I134 for interview & I864 once i am in the US?

2. I have booked in my medical, before i have sent the forms back, i assume as i have a case number this is not a problem.

3. Police certificates - do they keep the originals at interview? & would it be ok to provide photocopies for the DS-156K form?
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 visa forms

Originally Posted by pinky79
1. Evidence of financial support - does this have to be via a I134 for interview & I864 once i am in the US?
Correct.

2. I have booked in my medical, before i have sent the forms back, i assume as i have a case number this is not a problem.
Correct.

3. Police certificates - do they keep the originals at interview?
I'm not sure, but they might. Make sure you keep a photocopy for yourself before you to go the interview, just in case.

& would it be ok to provide photocopies for the DS-156K form?
Photocopies of what?

Rene
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:59 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

No to the I-134 for the visa, although I-134 is almost always used. The sponsor could provide an affidavit of their own design, as long as it provides all the same information, and a sponsor is not required at all for a K visa if the visa application has sufficient financial resources of their own.

Yes to the I-864 for adjustment of status.

Yes.
3. Police certificates - do they keep the originals at interview?
Nothing gets provided with the DS-156K form, despite what the instruction appears to say. The listed documents to get submitted, but not as attachments to DS-156K.
& would it be ok to provide photocopies for the DS-156K form?
Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Mar 28th 2012 at 10:01 am.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

3. Police certificates - do they keep the originals at interview? & would it be ok to provide photocopies for the DS-156K form?
Don't send documents with the DS-156K form despite what the form says. If you read London's instruction page, they want you to bring the documents on their list and 2 passport photos with you to the interview. Bring a photocopy of any document you want back to the interview along with the original.

My husband actually got his police certificate back because they filed the photocopy he provided. But I have read other people say the interviewer kept their original police certificate even though they provided a photocopy.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the responses, the D156K form is a little bit confusing as to what you do & don't need to send.

My fiance has put together an I-134 affidavit of support just incase i need to show at interview that he can support me if needs be.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Also how accurate do you have to be with the exact dates of educational institutions attended & start dates of jobs, i am struggling to remember exact dates for some.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 12:29 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Also how accurate do you have to be with the exact dates of educational institutions attended & start dates of jobs, i am struggling to remember exact dates for some.
Provide the information to the best of your knowledge.

Rene
Old Mar 29th 2012, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

send.

My fiance has put together an I-134 affidavit of support just incase i need to show at interview that he can support me if needs be.
That is the standard they expect from a K1 applicant. There are ways around it but most provide the I-134.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 2:41 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed - it's extremely rare that I-134 is not used. So rare that most people think it's a requirement in all cases. It's not, but unless the visa applicant is unusually well off it might as well be.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Moxie
That is the standard they expect from a K1 applicant. There are ways around it but most provide the I-134.

Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

One last question (i hope!) there are a few flights i have taken to Canada where i have gone via the US, this was just to get a connecting flight to Canada, i believe they stamped my passport on each occasion but would that be classed as a visit to the US even if i never left the airport?
Old Mar 30th 2012, 1:20 am

One last question (i hope!) there are a few flights i have taken to Canada where i have gone via the US, this was just to get a connecting flight to Canada, i believe they stamped my passport on each occasion but would that be classed as a visit to the US even if i never left the airport?
It might be considered "transit" rather than "visit", but might as well count it, just in case.

Rene
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:38 am

Check you passport to be sure. And if immigration did stamp your passport, what notation was made on or adjacent to the stamp?

Regards, JEff

i believe they stamped my passport on each occasion but would that be classed as a visit to the US even if i never left the airport?
Old Mar 31st 2012, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

The stamp in my passport seems to be the same as the ones from any other trip to the US, it says Class until - WT. I'll include them on the list to be on the safe side.

Thanks for all your help, am glad to be a step closer to finally being reunited with my soon to be husband
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:48 am

Probably a good idea. Class WT means entry as a visitor using the VWP.

Regaards, JEff

The stamp in my passport seems to be the same as the ones from any other trip to the US, it says Class until - WT. I'll include them on the list to be on the safe side.