Reload this Page >

K1 Visa / CR-1 Visa - Affidavit of Support issues

K1 Visa / CR-1 Visa - Affidavit of Support issues

Old May 17th 2019, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Vukki is an unknown quantity at this point
Question K1 Visa / CR-1 Visa - Affidavit of Support issues

Hello all!

Name's Vukki, I live in the UK and my partner lives in the US.

I have posted here before and had soo much help, it was great and I had plans and made some changes to make it possible for me to get the funds together for the K1 Visa (I haven't the Money, but now developing the means)

Although a little while ago I decided to research all that I could about the K-1 Visa etc and both my partner and I were sure that we could meet the requirement for the Affidavit of Support, after some long Math she can't meet the requirement, even with sponsors, the ones that are available to her, as well as that nether her or any of her sponsors have enough assets to help at all; 125% over the poverty line is what must be met by a (co) sponsor... We don't have that.

She is able to support me, as We would be living with her mother until we got the money to get our own place, but both her and her mother live in a trailer so it holds little worth.

What are our options here? She can support me, but not in the eyes of the government. We are both at wits end and pulling our hair out because we think we have lost all hope of it working out with the K-1 Visa.

I would like to be out of the UK by at least January 2021, the last time we met was July 2018 (We talk every. single. day for at least 6 hours plus) so we never lose touch.

Im sorry to post here again and take up peoples times, but any help or ideas are welcome and if you have any questions ill answer them when asap!

Thank you so much!
Old May 17th 2019, 9:33 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Visa / CR-1 Visa - Affidavit of Support issues

Do you have any assets? If you have assets in your own right and you were married they would count somewhat towards your affidavit of support. Obviously that would entail you marrying before applying for the visa and spending some if the beginning of your married life apart, but you would be able to work from the day you entered the USA on your CR-1 visa.
Old May 17th 2019, 9:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

So what you are telling us is that she does NOT earn $21,137 in order to complete and be the sole sponsor on the I-134 for the K-1. She also needs this amount to sponsor you after your marriage and you apply for adjustment of status to permanent resident (green card).

Honestly, two people attempting to live on $21,137 is living in poverty no matter what the US government says.

What would you do for healthcare? Are you skilled in a field that will help you find employment that pays above minimum wage? Would she or you have the nearly $2,000 for pay for the fee for applying for your residency/green card after marriage?

It is not just getting here on the K-1 that you need to think about. You need to think about marrying, filing the forms for adjustment, and only being able to apply for permission to work at the time you apply for adjustment and that permission, known as Employment Authorization Document, can take 3 to 6 months to get. What will you do in the interim for money? Are you willing to eat rice and beans with chicken perhaps once a month until you can work? Are you willing to live in a mobile home with your mother-in-law for months and months and months? Lots and lots to think about.

P.S. the 125% of the poverty guidelines is for earnings not for assets.
Old May 17th 2019, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

She does not earn $21,137 she left due to illness and is now on Vocational Rehabilitation so as to get back in working again.
Her Mother and Father-in-law are out of work due to disability, Her mother owns 2 trailers both beside each other, which my partner's brother lives in, they are on food stamps and during my time there before they (few week holiday to visit) they we're 100% able to take care of me and faced no implication.
A mutual friend of ours and myself our saving the money for me to get there, mean time my partner does medical studies to earn money towards this.
I will also save up money to use during my time there as I am aware I will have to wait a handful of months to get to the point of being able to work, in which case I will be able to make money through helping them scrap.
Both her mother and I get on wonderfully, we talk daily also, I still am aware that things can change while living there, as fb messaging and living are black and white differences but regardless she sees me as one of her own.
I understand that this wont be without hardship, it has already be pain finding this all out and trying to work it out, but we are both willing to do what ever it takes to be together, we're nearly 4 years 'together' now and she has been here and met the family and I've been there and done the same.

This is a difficult one, I know, but we are both trying to get things working and keeping our heads up.

Thank you for your comment Rete
Old May 17th 2019, 11:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The bottom line is that someone in the USA needs to either earn enough money or have enough in assets to sponsor you, otherwise you cannot immigrate.

There are no other options.

So NO ONE she knows in the USA earns enough money to sponsor you? $22,000 is not a lot of money, it seems she would have some friend or relative earning enough. Well, they'd need enough for their own family plus you.

If you earn enough in the UK, it might make more sense for her to moved to the UK. You seem pretty stable there... more than she is here.

Rene
Old May 17th 2019, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The bottom line is that someone in the USA needs to either earn enough money or have enough in assets to sponsor you, otherwise you cannot immigrate.

There are no other options.

So NO ONE she knows in the USA earns enough money to sponsor you? $22,000 is not a lot of money, it seems she would have some friend or relative earning enough. Well, they'd need enough for their own family plus you.

If you earn enough in the UK, it might make more sense for her to moved to the UK. You seem pretty stable there... more than she is here.

Rene
Thanks for the reply Noorah,

From what I read online it said a non relative for her family would hold little value to the Affidavit, there is maybe one person who for sure can meet that 22k and then some, and I have met her and spent some time with her during my time there, so I guess to an extent she is doing it out of her heart if she decides to help..

As much as I want to follow what I read online I feel slightly more reassured listening to someone who has went through the process.

So long as I have met the possible Co sponsor and they want the relationship to succeed and is also willing to fill out the paper work with evidence it should be okay? Even though they aren't family or close relatives to her side?

If so then we may have a fighting chance with this.

Thank you soo much, I'm sure you're all sick of hearing from me, it's just such a scary and tedious process.

Thanks again!
Old May 18th 2019, 12:00 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The affidavit of support for the K-1 visa (form I-134) can be completed by ANY US citizen or PR living in the USA. You don't even need to have met this person.

Same goes for a joint sponsor for your AOS or a CR-1 visa (form I-864).

Rene
Old May 18th 2019, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am still wondering how you are going to support yourselves in the US.

From your earlier posts you are not skilled and for the past few months you have been bartending; you live with your parents and have no savings.

Even if you marry and get a visa for the US I dread to think what you are going to do jobwise and healthcare wise. If you don't get a good job with healthcare benefits you are not going to be able to afford a private individual policy. Your girlfriend is already on benefits.

While you may get a co-sponsor to initially get you into the US, your prospects are not looking good.
Old May 18th 2019, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Vukki
Thanks for the reply Noorah,

From what I read online it said a non relative for her family would hold little value to the Affidavit...
It would be interesting to see where you read this, do you have the link?

Official information is found at www.uscis.gov.

Rene
Old May 18th 2019, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

K1 would not seem to be practical, timeline is interlinked with resolving the financial aspect.
Old May 18th 2019, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

Hello all sorry, just home from work..

Ill answer in order of the posts:

SanDiegoGirl, I have since for the past year been working a job in management, I'm on the low end but am responsible for my shop etc, that is what has opened up the room to make the money I need, my savings are in its infancy but are now there just need to keep adding to it. on the healthcare aspect, from what I know and have researched I need only be a resident of the US in Florida and I can get the Florida blue card, but now with growing over a year now management experience I should be able to get myself into a decent Job.

Noorah, I must have been looking at a non official site as it was an immigration attorney's website: https://www.marriagevisaattorney.com...fiance-visa-2/

Boiler, I understand what you mean, but at this point in time I felt it was the better option cost and time wise.

I understand that this is anything but an ideal situation, I can say with complete faith that I will be able to eat, make some side cash and survive to the point of getting a job once all the paper work is sorted, my partner is seeing an Attorney for a free consultation retaining in mind that he will be trying to make it seem like the only option is to use one, but just so when can grasp an even better understanding so long as the info he provides is correct.

Regardless I appreciate that all of you are just trying to make sure that I dont make a mistake and waste my money and have everything fall apart in front of me, I dont ignore what any of you have said, but I still need to try this, for the sake of my relationship if nothing else, Ill go in as informed as possible and with all the prep I can.

Thank you all, really I mean that!
Old May 18th 2019, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You have enough money to live for 6 months without working?
Old May 19th 2019, 12:07 am

Vukki,

I looked at the site you linked. A glaring mistake is that they immediately refer to a K-1 co-sponsor when there is no such thing. There can only be one sponsor for a K-1 visa. Then there are all the grammar mistakes, more evidence that the site is not reliable. For your own sake, please don't use such sites in the future.

Rene
Old May 19th 2019, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

SanDiegoGirl, I have since for the past year been working a job in management, I'm on the low end but am responsible for my shop etc, that is what has opened up the room to make the money I need, my savings are in its infancy but are now there just need to keep adding to it. on the healthcare aspect, from what I know and have researched I need only be a resident of the US in Florida and I can get the Florida blue card, but now with growing over a year now management experience I should be able to get myself into a decent Job.

t!
....but could you afford to pay the premiums? This is Blue Shield/Blue Cross of Florida, a health insurance company...... have you tried getting a quote on its website and seeing what monthly premiums are?
Old May 19th 2019, 2:49 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Ill answer in order of the posts:

Noorah, I must have been looking at a non official site as it was an immigration attorney's website: https://www.marriagevisaattorney.com...fiance-visa-2/

Boiler, I understand what you mean, but at this point in time I felt it was the better option cost and time wise.

I understand that this is anything but an ideal situation, I can say with complete faith that I will be able to eat, make some side cash and survive to the point of getting a job once all the paper work is sorted, my partner is seeing an Attorney for a free consultation retaining in mind that he will be trying to make it seem like the only option is to use one, but just so when can grasp an even better understanding so long as the info he provides is correct.

Regardless I appreciate that all of you are just trying to make sure that I dont make a mistake and waste my money and have everything fall apart in front of me, I dont ignore what any of you have said, but I still need to try this, for the sake of my relationship if nothing else, Ill go in as informed as possible and with all the prep I can.

Thank you all, really I mean that!
Vukki, you can’t “make some side cash.” Not authorized to work means just that. You will be putting your future in the US in jeopardy if you try to work “under the table.” That is why it is suggested that you marry and then return to the UK to apply for the spouse visa, so you are authorized to work from the day you arrive in the US and activate your visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.