K1 visa application query

Wikiposts

K1 visa application query

Old Dec 5th 2011, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

masih86 is on a distinguished road
Default K1 visa application query

Hi Fellow BE peeps!

Ok so I have all required paperwork as instructed by the embassy in London (IE. ds2001, DS156, aff of support etc...) ready to be posted, just wondering when do I pay the fee required? Do They bill me by mail, call me or am I supposed to be proactive and call them or send a cheque?

Also myself and my (hopefully! ) soon to be Wife have been debating this for a couple of weeks now.....Do I book the medical whenever Im ready or do I wait to be instructed to do so by the Embassy?

Thanking you!!
Masih86
Old Dec 5th 2011, 2:40 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 visa application query

Originally Posted by masih86
Ok so I have all required paperwork as instructed by the embassy in London (IE. ds2001, DS156, aff of support etc...) ready to be posted, just wondering when do I pay the fee required? Do They bill me by mail, call me or am I supposed to be proactive and call them or send a cheque?
I'm not sure how it works in London, but there might be instructions on the US Embassy website on how to pay. Iknow they won't bill you! My thinking is that you pay ahead of time and bring the receipt to the interview.

Also, if this is for a K-1, you don't send the I-864 in ahead of time, you bring it to the interview.

Do I book the medical whenever Im ready or do I wait to be instructed to do so by the Embassy?
Book the medical as soon as you have your LND case number.

Rene
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Noorah!

yeah I cant find anything to say whether you do pay ahead of time or on the day of interview? strange....

Thanks for mentioning about the I-864, another thing I would not have known!

LND case number? is this a specific number issued? we have a receipt number on the confirmation the petition was approved, we also have a number on the letter the embassy sent me...

Whilst Im here I may as well ask as my OH has been on at me about it forever......Do you know what the expiry date on the Petition we submitted and was apporved for relates to? It states a date in January as the expiry date but OH is worried after this date we will have to start the whole 8-12 month process again??

Thanks x
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:21 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

LND case number? is this a specific number issued? we have a receipt number on the confirmation the petition was approved, we also have a number on the letter the embassy sent me...
When the I-129F was submitted, a USCIS case number was assigned. When the case moved through NVC and on to London, a new case number was assigned; this case number should start with LND (London). My guess is that it will be the one on the letter the embassy sent you.

Whilst Im here I may as well ask as my OH has been on at me about it forever......Do you know what the expiry date on the Petition we submitted and was apporved for relates to? It states a date in January as the expiry date but OH is worried after this date we will have to start the whole 8-12 month process again??
The approved I-129F petition is good for 4 months. However, if your interview date falls later than that expiration date (as very often happens), it's OK. The ConOff will process your case anyway. It might help to have current letters of intent from both of you.

Rene
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
When the I-129F was submitted, a USCIS case number was assigned. When the case moved through NVC and on to London, a new case number was assigned; this case number should start with LND (London). My guess is that it will be the one on the letter the embassy sent you.

The approved I-129F petition is good for 4 months. However, if your interview date falls later than that expiration date (as very often happens), it's OK. The ConOff will process your case anyway. It might help to have current letters of intent from both of you.

Rene
Okie Dokie, I will check for the LND when I get home

Thanks again! I had better not tell her about the 4 months thing, just to save her stressing and me earache! lol

You have been a fountain of wisdom as always!!

Masih86
Old Dec 5th 2011, 5:14 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - the adjustment of status interview.

Regards, JEff

Also, if this is for a K-1, you don't send the I-864 in ahead of time, you bring it to the interview.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Yes - the adjustment of status interview.

Regards, JEff
ARGH...LOL Good catch!

Meant to say I-134.

Rene
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fellow BE peeps!

Also myself and my (hopefully! ) soon to be Wife have been debating this for a couple of weeks now.....Do I book the medical whenever Im ready or do I wait to be instructed to do so by the Embassy?

Thanking you!!
Masih86
Book the medical as soon as you know your new LNDxxxxxxxxx case number assigned by NVC and have your police certificate. Your fiance should have gotten a letter from NVC saying the file was sent to London. It would have the LND number. Also your letter from London telling you to proceed with the visa application forms would also have the number.

London will not grant an interview until the medical results reach them.
London will not grant an interview until you send form DS-2001 back listing your medical date in your cover letter along with other requested information. Read the embassy website which explains all of this.

What the website doesn't explain very well is you pay by calling the embassy help line at a cost of 1.23 per minute. You don't have to pay yet. Paying does not speed up your interview assignment. Just as long as you pay before going to the interview, you are fine. You will be emailed a receipt which you show the document person before you see the interviewer.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Moxie
What the website doesn't explain very well is you pay by calling the embassy help line at a cost of 1.23 per minute. You don't have to pay yet. Paying does not speed up your interview assignment. Just as long as you pay before going to the interview, you are fine. You will be emailed a receipt which you show the document person before you see the interviewer.
Hi Moxie,

I know my question doesn't apply to the OP, but I was wondering...what if the visa applicant does not have an email address or access to an email address or a computer? I know, hardly lkely in this day and age, but what would they do...send the receipt snail mail?

Thanks,
Rene
Old Dec 5th 2011, 7:05 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

In between those two notices - the Approval Notice from USCIS and the letter from the consular section - there should have been a notice from the NVC to your fiance telling him that the NVC had received the approved petition and would forward it on to the consular section.

Both the NVC notice and the consular section letter should have contained the DoS case number, an alphameric beginning with LND.

Regards, JEff

Old Dec 6th 2011, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, Hopefully I can get this all sorted in the next week, Sorry if my questions are ones that may have been asked many times before Im just useless when it comes to paperwork and organisation, not to mention trying to decipher 'US immigration speak'!

BE has been an amazing help over the past 3 years for me, and just want anyone who may be going through the same process at the moment or preparing an application and may just sweep over the subjects for pointers but not join in (which is what I did for the first 12 months or so....) that as well as being a great resource for information the BE population are also as I like to think 'a good listening friend' and would encourage them to get involved, sometimes it feels like your completely on your own while your OH is on the other side of the world but BE'ers will always help you through it!
Old Dec 7th 2011, 3:38 am

Personally, I find " 'US immigration speak' " easier to master than immigration newsgroup speak, in which many people insist on inventing cutesy terms and ambiguous acronyms that often as not mask the true meaning of the original language. If we all used the same language that the immigration officials use there would be a lot less confusion and misunderstanding.

Regards, JEff

not to mention trying to decipher 'US immigration speak'!
Old Dec 7th 2011, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Moxie,

I know my question doesn't apply to the OP, but I was wondering...what if the visa applicant does not have an email address or access to an email address or a computer? I know, hardly lkely in this day and age, but what would they do...send the receipt snail mail?

Thanks,
Rene
I dunno. What does a computerless person do to get their instructions and forms since that went all internet in 2009?? I imagine that anybody could request snail mail. I do know for sure that they will still take K1 visa payments at the interview even though they push people to pay in advance to streamline the the interview day process.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 7:44 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What does a computerless person do to get their instructions and forms since that went all internet in 2009?
Let's see... Internet cafe, public library, school computer lab, etc. That said, if a person doesn't have Internet access, it's unlikely that they met someone internationally and managed to stay in touch in the 21st Century. Therefore, the need for a visa likely doesn't exist.

Ain't I romantic?

Ian
Old Dec 7th 2011, 7:56 am

I dunno. What does a computerless person do to get their instructions and forms since that went all internet in 2009??
Ah, that only happened in 2009? I guess I'm more old-timer than I thought...we started the K-1 process back in 2003 and very little was done online. My fiance and I sent stuff via Fed Ex back and forth when necessary...talked on the phone...he got his interview notice by courier in Istanbul. I filled out his K-1 application forms here in the USA and Fed Ex'd them to him for his signature and to take to the interview.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Let's see... Internet cafe, public library, school computer lab, etc. That said, if a person doesn't have Internet access, it's unlikely that they met someone internationally and managed to stay in touch in the 21st Century. Therefore, the need for a visa likely doesn't exist.
Hey, I was one of those! LOL Not that the internet access didn't exist, but that Sadegh had no clue how to use a computer!! lol

Rene