Wikiposts

K1 Visa

Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

sean007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 Visa

Hello All,

I had decided to go through lawyer for my k1. I just don't want to be sorry later on. Since many people here have gone through this process, I thought I should ask for your input as well.

I have provided my lawyer with following:

1- 2 pictures of me and my fience
2- Letters from my and her parents stating that we are engagged
3- My divorce paper
4- Birth Certificates for both of us
5- Copy of our pictures together
6- My passport stamps and boarding passes.

Lawyer made me fill out 1-129F and 2 forms for both of our profiles. He will later on type them up and send them to CSC.

My lawyer didn't ask for my income or tax returns or anything. Is that normal? I just want to make sure that the lawyer whom i'm trusting is doing what he is suppose to do thats all.

Any advise would be great.

Regards

Sean
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:03 pm
GiveMeStrength

Default Re: K1 Visa

Originally posted by sean007
Hello All,

I had decided to go through lawyer for my k1. I just don't want to be sorry later on. Since many people here have gone through this process, I thought I should ask for your input as well.

3- My divorce paper

Lawyer made me fill out 1-129F and 2 forms for both of our profiles. He will later on type them up and send them to CSC.

My lawyer didn't ask for my income or tax returns or anything. Is that normal? I just want to make sure that the lawyer whom i'm trusting is doing what he is suppose to do thats all.

Regards

Sean

Sean,

Other things I can think of:

- Letters from both of you stating that you are legally free to marry and intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancee arriving in the U.S and that you intend to live together as husband and wife.
- Make sure your divorce paper is a certified divorce decree. Lot's of people have received RFE's (Request for Evidence) from USCIS which delays the process.

Good Luck to You!

Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

amol_k3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,

3- My divorce paper

Regards

Sean

The tax returns will be necessary during the interview for the visa.

Amol
Old Feb 12th 2004, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point

Our application was held up as my fiance included certified copies of her divorce agreement and was told she had to send in originals.

How much is the lawyer charging just out of interest?
Old Feb 13th 2004, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

I have a copy of the divorce papers which has a stamp from court. That is all I have received. Should I be worried about this?

He has charged me $1500. I think its a bit too much but o well.

Sean

Originally posted by Pauljarv
Our application was held up as my fiance included certified copies of her divorce agreement and was told she had to send in originals.

How much is the lawyer charging just out of interest?
Old Feb 13th 2004, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

tanaats is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a copy of the divorce papers which has a stamp from court. That is all I have received. Should I be worried about this?

Sean
The terminology is confusing...

A "certified copy" with the stamp of the court, the entire thing exactly as received from the clerk of the court, is what you need.

You make acopy of it, and you send this "copy of the certified copy" with your paperwork to the CIS.

You keep that certified copy that you got from the court, and bring it to every CIS interview. If the CIS officer asks to look at it, he will hand it back before the end of the interview (or you should ask for it back).

(The actual "original" is actually locked up in the court clerk's files and you'll never get your hands on it.)

Joe
Old Feb 13th 2004, 1:02 pm
dave w

Sean
I used a book called fiance and marriage visas - a couples guide to u.s. immigration. It is written by a group called NOLO.
I found it to be very useful.

I think they want your birth certificate and or copy of passport to prove USA citizenship.

Last edited by dave w; Feb 13th 2004 at 5:31 pm.

Old Feb 14th 2004, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you joe for a detail explanation. That is exactly what I have. Which service denter you used?

- Sean

Originally posted by tanaats
The terminology is confusing...

A "certified copy" with the stamp of the court, the entire thing exactly as received from the clerk of the court, is what you need.

You make acopy of it, and you send this "copy of the certified copy" with your paperwork to the CIS.

You keep that certified copy that you got from the court, and bring it to every CIS interview. If the CIS officer asks to look at it, he will hand it back before the end of the interview (or you should ask for it back).

(The actual "original" is actually locked up in the court clerk's files and you'll never get your hands on it.)

Joe