Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 vaccination question.

Wikiposts

K1 vaccination question.

Old Aug 16th 2011, 8:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 vaccination question.

Originally Posted by AMBERLYRA
I have decided to do all the vaccines when I get to America. I understand you can do this on a K1 visa. My fiancee works for a Health Office in his town and should be able to help me get these done there. In any event I am sure it has to be cheaper than my dr. I am over 50 years so shouldn't need too many of the jabs anyway. I am glad my titanium knees will not be a problem. I hope I am replying correctly to all the kind people that have replied. I am new here and half the time cannot see a reply button at the bottom of your answers. Many thanks to everybody's help.
Rosemary
Unless you know your OH can get them done for free or cheap, don't count on it...Tetanus alone can run a couple hundred bucks.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

wildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nice

I came out under the Visa Waiver Program then got married here so didn't know I had to have vaccinations in advance. The records my GP had were insufficent for the US Immigration Service and a letter from my school saying Id had them dine there eons ago was not sufficient. I was actually very glad too because my US health insurance covered it all under the preventative medicine clause so if I'd had them done or topped up in UK I may have ended up having had some done again - something to check. A word of warning tho, if you have the TB vacination in England (remember they used to give it to us all at school?) you will probably test positive here even though you wont be and will have to have a chest ex-ray to rule out TB. It's an anomaly with the type of vaccine used in the UK and in the armed forces around the world - it just triggers a positive response in anyone who's had that particular vaccine. I mention this because if any insurance you have doesn't cover a chest ex-ray, the dollars will certainly start mounting up. I got lucky due to hubbies insurance but be careful. I you do decide to have them done at home, check out Travel Clinics. Often usual GP's practices boost their incomes that way and have more competitive prices. You don't have to belong to that surgery to get that service. Some of the walk in clinics also provide these services - my ex had his done at one on Victoria Station London. Just be very sure you carry very detailed paperwork showing the dates you had vaccines - the rules here on who gave them and when are quite strict - they'd really rather you use one of the US Civil Surgeons so just look into how the documentation should read if you have them done at home.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 3:37 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wildinvirginia
A word of warning tho, if you have the TB vacination in England (remember they used to give it to us all at school?) you will probably test positive here even though you wont be and will have to have a chest ex-ray to rule out TB.
The Knightsbridge medical includes said x-ray.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

if you have the TB vacination in England (remember they used to give it to us all at school?)
Yes, at my school it was considered a great game to go around punching people on their BCG site after the injection .
Old Aug 16th 2011, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

AMBERLYRA is an unknown quantity at this point

My fiancee works in his local Health office and gets all his vaccinations free. I am hoping, as his wife, I would too. I will try the drop in centres for travellers here first though. I had Tetanus shot with polio and something else earlier in the year as I cut myself on a rusty tin. I will get a free flu shot in the winter here too. To be honest I wish I had another doctor but it is pointless changing at this stage.
Rosemary
Old Aug 17th 2011, 4:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I came out under the Visa Waiver Program then got married here so didn't know I had to have vaccinations in advance. The records my GP had were insufficent for the US Immigration Service and a letter from my school saying Id had them dine there eons ago was not sufficient. I was actually very glad too because my US health insurance covered it all under the preventative medicine clause so if I'd had them done or topped up in UK I may have ended up having had some done again - something to check....
If you know you had the jabs, a titre test would be generally a quicker, cheaper, less effort way of sorting yourself out and something insurance would often cover too
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

FYI to the K1s. Your shots required by Adjustment of Status application time are

Age 19 up--Td or Tdap (if DT, DTP or DTaP shown: okay to accept); MMR; Varicella; Influenza between Oct1 and March 31 only.

The rest are not age appropriate for you and you are given a blanket waiver because they are not medically appropriate. Varicella is not routinely available in the UK, but if you had chickenpox you are excused from the shot.

To the person above who listed Pertussis separately, it's the P part of DTP. If you had a pertussis version as a child, then Td or DT serves as the booster for diptheria and tetanus part. You need the whole shot or the booster version within the last 10 years.