Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 vaccination question.

K1 vaccination question.

Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

AMBERLYRA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 vaccination question.

I have just learned from my doctor that to get vaccinated with all the required jabs is going to cost me £30 per consultation and there will have to be four of these apparently and that is without the cost of the jabs. Does anyone know if it would be actually cheaper to get this done on the day of the medical. My dr sounds like he is ripping me off as it is going to cost at least £120 and that is without having any jabs. I heard some people got these done for free at their doctors.
Rosemary
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all
Default Re: K1 vaccination question.

Originally Posted by AMBERLYRA
I have just learned from my doctor that to get vaccinated with all the required jabs is going to cost me £30 per consultation and there will have to be four of these apparently and that is without the cost of the jabs. Does anyone know if it would be actually cheaper to get this done on the day of the medical. My dr sounds like he is ripping me off as it is going to cost at least £120 and that is without having any jabs. I heard some people got these done for free at their doctors.
Rosemary
yes most jabs should be FREE on the NHS, Especially if you have never had them. They do charge for the varicella (which is not require anyway), but for the other they shouldnt charge you.

there is a price list for the jabs on the knightsbridge PDF, so you can check the prices and see if it would be cheaper.

did your doc say why you'd be paying? Is your GP nhs or private, sounds like it could be a private doctors?
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

No he is just an ordinary dr. I shall go to that site and check the prices there. I guess my dr is ripping me off. I wouldn't mind so much if I was just paying for the jabs but four consultation fees of £30 is taking the pee.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

No he is just an ordinary dr. I shall go to that site and check the prices there. I guess my dr is ripping me off. I wouldn't mind so much if I was just paying for the jabs but four consultation fees of £30 is taking the pee.
Ive never heard of an NHS doctor charging for a consultation. sounds like a rip off. Could you change doctors or would it be too late? Thats crazy. Ive heard of doctors charging for some Jabs, but never for just their time... hmm
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

I had a look at the cost and it would be cheaper for me to get it done at the medical. Now my other worry is setting all the alarms off at the interview with my titanium knees!!!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

hmm i had mine all done on NHS except flu/swine flu which was charged
Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:46 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Find a different doctor. I was never immunized as a child and had to have everything (including a test for varicella, to show the jab would be useless), all of this was completely free.

I think doctors charging for this are in the minority, definitely don't waste any money on this crook. The process is expensive enough without additional cost.

Last edited by ljaw2002uk; Aug 15th 2011 at 10:47 pm. Reason: typo
Old Aug 16th 2011, 2:04 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My husband had his done for free as well. I have read on other threads on here that other applicants doctors have charged too.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 7:51 am
Just Joined

If I wasn't (K1 willing) going I would change doctors. It doesn't seem fair that my NHS doctor is probably going to charge more than the Knightsbridge private doctor. I wonder if one can go to a local clinic or something to get these doneor if I could complain about his charges.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Rosemary
That doesn't sound right. I called my doctor last week. I spoke to a nurse because they are in charge of vaccinations.
I went through the whole list with her.
MMR - free
DTP - free
HEP A - free
Varicella- Had chicken pox as a kid
Pertussis (whooping cough) - Had
HIB and pneumococcal - 15 pounds for both (she did me a buy one, get one free)
Meningococcal - 60 pounds
Rotavirus - They don't do
Influenza - Not out this year yet (they make it when flu season starts)
HEP B - This comes in three shots, so I'm gonna do it later as I"m going away and can't get them all at the moment.

I'm going in for one appointment tomorrow. She said she's going to do them all in both arms and legs. Eek.

MMR/DTP are definitely on the NHS. They should be free.

Hope that helps. You should consider changing your appointment.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holliver
That doesn't sound right. I called my doctor last week. I spoke to a nurse because they are in charge of vaccinations.
I went through the whole list with her.
MMR - free
DTP - free
HEP A - free
Varicella- Had chicken pox as a kid
Pertussis (whooping cough) - Had
HIB and pneumococcal - 15 pounds for both (she did me a buy one, get one free)
Meningococcal - 60 pounds
Rotavirus - They don't do
Influenza - Not out this year yet (they make it when flu season starts)
HEP B - This comes in three shots, so I'm gonna do it later as I"m going away and can't get them all at the moment.

I'm going in for one appointment tomorrow. She said she's going to do them all in both arms and legs. Eek.

MMR/DTP are definitely on the NHS. They should be free.

Hope that helps. You should consider changing your appointment.
Hi Holliver,

Do you mind me asking how old you are? I thought you didn't need Meningococcal, Hep B, HIB and Pneumococcal as an adult.

Thanks
Old Aug 16th 2011, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
Hi Holliver,

Do you mind me asking how old you are? I thought you didn't need Meningococcal, Hep B, HIB and Pneumococcal as an adult.

Thanks
I'm 27. I didn't think it mattered, it's on the list of vaccines needed, according to the US embassy in Japan (I live there). http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tv....html#thirteen

Oh, but I just checked the embassy in London and maybe I don't need all those either. Hmm, what to do. I suppose you have to do it according to the embassy you will be interviewed at (in my case Tokyo). Seems a bit of a waste of money to get them though.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 3:09 pm
Account Closed

bivlover is an unknown quantity at this point

Now my other worry is setting all the alarms off at the interview with my titanium knees!!!
Don't worry about that, I have titanium bits too, and there's no problem with alarms. Those scanners only detect iron-based metals, i.e. steel.

With regards to the original question, my doctor gave me the MMR for free, though they did rip me of later by charging me £50 to send a fax to Knightsbridge Doctors. While you're at this stage - if you're on any medication, get a letter from your GP explaining why you're on it, it will save you time and money later on.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 3:10 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Whether or not it's required, or wise, to get the hepatitis B series might depend on where you've been, where you're going, and who you are or will be with. The write-up on hepB on the CDC web site is informative:
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis.../vis-hep-b.pdf

The pages on the CDC web site with instructions for Panel Physicians and Civil Surgeons might give better insight as to whether or not the hepB vaccination series is required for adult immigrants. There are certain people for whom hepB vaccination would be medically inappropriate.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
I thought you didn't need Meningococcal, Hep B, HIB and Pneumococcal as an adult.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

I have decided to do all the vaccines when I get to America. I understand you can do this on a K1 visa. My fiancee works for a Health Office in his town and should be able to help me get these done there. In any event I am sure it has to be cheaper than my dr. I am over 50 years so shouldn't need too many of the jabs anyway. I am glad my titanium knees will not be a problem. I hope I am replying correctly to all the kind people that have replied. I am new here and half the time cannot see a reply button at the bottom of your answers. Many thanks to everybody's help.
Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.