Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 vaccination/medical questions

K1 vaccination/medical questions

Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:51 am
Just Joined

Scarlet UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 vaccination/medical questions

Hi all, had NOA1 for the I129F on 29 Oct 2008. I realise everything is still far, far away K1 wise but I was thinking about these things today and wondering if anyone could shed some light?

1 - Varicella vaccination - I realise this is not available in the UK. I had chicken pox as a child. I read a post http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=563100 about doing AOS down the line where the civil surgeon only put 'VH' in the box and they did not need to get the vaccination in the US. If I get the London doctor to put VH in the box, would that mean not having to worry about getting the vaccination supplement at all in the future?

2 - Would having a nut allergy affect anything medical wise? It's not severe, but I do carry an epipen (never had to use it though). If I declare to whichever medical insurers I end up using then do you think they'll accept that as not becoming a 'medical public charge' (forgotten the correct words here!)

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:57 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 vaccination/medical questions

Originally Posted by Scarlet UK
1 - Varicella vaccination - I realise this is not available in the UK. I had chicken pox as a child. I read a post http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=563100 about doing AOS down the line where the civil surgeon only put 'VH' in the box and they did not need to get the vaccination in the US. If I get the London doctor to put VH in the box, would that mean not having to worry about getting the vaccination supplement at all in the future?
Getting the vaccination supplement for the AOS portion is standard procedure. Even if you've had all the available vaccinations, the vaccination supplement needs to be done by a US civil surgeon. Some folks have sent in just the UK doctor's report of vaccinations and have been successful, but there's always a chance you could get an RFE for the vaccination supplement anyway. The choice is yours whether to risk getting an RFE for the missing vaccination supplement or not.

2 - Would having a nut allergy affect anything medical wise? It's not severe, but I do carry an epipen (never had to use it though). If I declare to whichever medical insurers I end up using then do you think they'll accept that as not becoming a 'medical public charge' (forgotten the correct words here!)
I doubt such an allergy will be a problem for your immigration.

Rene
Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:58 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. That was my post. Even though the doctor in London wrote VH we still had the suppliment transposed by a USCIS civil surgeon. That's why I mentioned we paid $175 for the vac suppliment.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Scarlet UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Getting the vaccination supplement for the AOS portion is standard procedure. Even if you've had all the available vaccinations, the vaccination supplement needs to be done by a US civil surgeon. Some folks have sent in just the UK doctor's report of vaccinations and have been successful, but there's always a chance you could get an RFE for the vaccination supplement anyway. The choice is yours whether to risk getting an RFE for the missing vaccination supplement or not.
Rene
Thanks, good to know, knowing me I will not be risking it!

Originally Posted by Noorah101

I doubt such an allergy will be a problem for your immigration.

Rene
Also good to hear, I was just wondering about it.

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Hi. That was my post. Even though the doctor in London wrote VH we still had the suppliment transposed by a USCIS civil surgeon. That's why I mentioned we paid $175 for the vac suppliment.

Thanks penguinbar, I had read into your post that you had got it done but found it wasn't actually necessary, now I see that it is not worth risking ^.

Thanks both!!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 9:21 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. I personally wouldn't risk not having the vac suppliment by a US civil surgeon. We had to call around to quite a few doctors to find one who would just do the suppliment without the physical. Dont let the doctors say that your fiancee needs a new physical. When we got to the doctors office they tried to say that my husband(then fiancee) needed a physical but we reused saying that he had his physical within the year and for a k1 that is fine.Make sure you get all the other vacs that you need in the UK. NHS paid for all my husbands vacs and here it can be quite expensive. Good luck with everything!